E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help getting oem HU back in after technics harness

11-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Help getting oem HU back in after technics harness

Help, I an trying to push the HU back in after connecting the technics harness but there is no room behind the HU I cant push it fully in

Am i missing a trick here?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Help, I an trying to push the HU back in after connecting the technics harness but there is no room behind the HU I cant push it fully in

Am i missing a trick here?

The right side of this harness which goes against the OEM quadlock and all the wires are behind the HU and thus you cannot put the HU back into its place.

Move the above two mentioned Quadlocks + additional wires to the top of HU or bottom depending the room for access.
I think you have CCC and you should have climate control above the CCC.
In that case use the space where climate control goes and pull these additional stuff above the HU.
And gently push the HU back. If it get stuck than you have not created enough clearance at the back.

Take your time and use a torch to have proper insight to what you are doing.

All the best.
      11-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks sam ive spent almost 45 mins trying to slot it back in without success i shall perservere
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Almost there have another half an inch to push back, i do have CCC but the space above the HU is not very big to pull the quadlock through so it has to go behind. I have almost spent hour and half now so going to try taking the drivers side footwell cover off to see if I can get my hand behind

Is this the same with the alpine harness?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Almost there have another half an inch to push back, i do have CCC but the space above the HU is not very big to pull the quadlock through so it has to go behind. I have almost spent hour and half now so going to try taking the drivers side footwell cover off to see if I can get my hand behind

Is this the same with the alpine harness?
Whichever harness you use, you will have same experience.
It is due to quadlocks + additional wires not being able to stay behind the HU.

Remember to pass the wires on the passenger side of your car.
      11-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

On the verge of giving up as my hands are too chunky to fit through climate opening no matter how i move it it wont go in
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
On the verge of giving up as my hands are too chunky to fit through climate opening no matter how i move it it wont go in
Try this and see if that helps.

Connect all the necessary wires. Put all the wires behind the HU.

If you have removed the passenger side footwell panel (under the glove box), and routed the wires from there, then use that area to bring all cable back as far as you can.

And with it, start pushing the HU back to its position.
      11-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Ive called it a day for today now will attempt again tommorow ive spent best part of 2 and half hours trying to do what should be simple to push back in a hu. My knuckles are bleeding/grazed and before i break anything i decided try again tommorow

What i dont understand even without the harness the hu was a pain to go back in. Its the big quadlock thats causing me grief the hole in the climate control not big enough to put my hand through to manovere the wire and i cant pull the quadlock up as its too big
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Try this and see if that helps.

Connect all the necessary wires. Put all the wires behind the HU.

If you have removed the passenger side footwell panel (under the glove box), and routed the wires from there, then use that area to bring all cable back as far as you can.

And with it, start pushing the HU back to its position.
I took the glovebox off but behind there is a thick plastic sheet which i unscrewed and could not pull it off. even then I think I wont have much access to the centre console. I have some help coming tommorow (i.e nimble hands to see if I ca get it fitted and will report back)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Would you like to update this thread with the method used to fit HU back?

It may help others.
      11-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

I spent roughly 3.5 hours of taking the HU out moving the wiring harness up and down/into the corners pushing the Hu back in. Every time i would get the HU back in but it would not go all the way in. My hands were too chunky to be ale to pull through the harness through climate control vent so I tried using needle nose pliers to pull gently the wires - all of this did not work.

I got my cousin to come help me as he has done many car audio installs and he tried to no avail. In the end we decided on cutting a small section of the plastic cage to the left hand side at the back which the quad lock could be pushed further down into the footwell. As a result the HU slid back in taking some effort as space is very limited.
Appreciate 0