E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Repairing a 'fried' N54 MSD80 DME

04-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #265
cooldude346
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Shop in Fairfax

I actually live in Fairfax, could you please provide me with details on that shop please.

I just got the required mosfets in today and looking to get my car fixed asap.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #266
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude346 View Post
I actually live in Fairfax, could you please provide me with details on that shop please.

I just got the required mosfets in today and looking to get my car fixed asap.
Give these guys a try http://www.fairfaxcomputerrepair.com/
they repair computers, they much have a soldering rod.
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #267
cooldude346
Rep

Local Fix Nova Area

Thanks ritzzzzzwik for your help!

I called up this place and they are doing the mosfet replacements for $70: https://cssva.com/wordpress/

The dude is pretty chill and seems qualified to do a job like this.
But he wouldn't do it while i waited and told me I have to come back tomorrow.

So I'm getting my DME back tomorrow morning and can't wait to plug and play and see what happens. I'll post back!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 10:47 PM   #268
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Just got mine done last week for $15, I guess there's no accurate price for this service lol..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #269
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Just got mine done last week for $15, I guess there's no accurate price for this service lol..
Yea my buddy at work did it for a 12 pack lol... Getting your car back on the road and not buying a the and paying programming and coding is priceless though... Even my coat on a time is 1200
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #270
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Just a hint for you guys ... never tell the technician what it costs to replace the ECU, or how much trouble they are to reprogram with all of the other systems. These same chips could likely be found in a $150 stereo amplifier, and they would fix those for a fair price.

In general, the cost of the repair is somewhat based on how much money they think you are saving by not having to replace it. If the tech thinks that it costs $200 to replace the unit, he will quote you in the $25 range, or whatever his labor rate is to repair it. If they think that it is worth $2,000+, suddenly the price goes up to $250 for the same job.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #271
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity26 View Post
Just a hint for you guys ... never tell the technician what it costs to replace the ECU, or how much trouble they are to reprogram with all of the other systems. These same chips could likely be found in a $150 stereo amplifier, and they would fix those for a fair price.

In general, the cost of the repair is somewhat based on how much money they think you are saving by not having to replace it. If the tech thinks that it costs $200 to replace the unit, he will quote you in the $25 range, or whatever his labor rate is to repair it. If they think that it is worth $2,000+, suddenly the price goes up to $250 for the same job.
This is very very true... Good point I thought of writi g this down but got side tracked I'm glad you adressed this
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #272
cooldude346
Rep

Please help :/

Hey guys so heres the update:

I gave my DME to the guy at the shop last Friday, April 29th.
I get it back today after 8 days. He said he ran into numerous problems which include not being able to remove the old transistors and he needed a special smaller soldering iron which took 3 days to get in since nobody had it in stock..

However, when i went to go pick it up he said that the number 5 mosfet, or the number 2 mosfet (one of the corner ones) did not have a base/metal part that the mosfet would be soldered onto. He said the initial one just came off and he tried to rub to dig into the metal part but the metal was not there at all. He said he ran into a similar problem with the first mosfet but was able to rub down and connect the mosfet to metal.
He said he tried looking for it a lot but didn't find a metal connection at all. I assumed he broke it off somehow and is just saying that to me.

Therefore that mosfet did not have a connection for one leg. Is that true? Is one of the corner mosfets not connected or did he break it? Or maybe it overheated and broke and thats the root cause of the problem in the first place.
He still soldered it onto the base even though there was no metal.

Anyways, regardless of who broke it, theres no connection for one leg of one mosfet.
I have 6 brand new mosfets sitting here (since i initially ordered 6 extra) and a DME which isn't working just like before.
Any suggestions for what to do next?

I would hit up n54dme.com and pay the $500 because Im desperate to get my car fixed. But i doubt they can do much in terms of getting metal to show up.
Is my only option at this time to buy a new DME?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #273
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys so heres the update:

I gave my DME to the guy at the shop last Friday, April 29th.
I get it back today after 8 days. He said he ran into numerous problems which include not being able to remove the old transistors and he needed a special smaller soldering iron which took 3 days to get in since nobody had it in stock..

However, when i went to go pick it up he said that the number 5 mosfet, or the number 2 mosfet (one of the corner ones) did not have a base/metal part that the mosfet would be soldered onto. He said the initial one just came off and he tried to rub to dig into the metal part but the metal was not there at all. He said he ran into a similar problem with the first mosfet but was able to rub down and connect the mosfet to metal.
He said he tried looking for it a lot but didn't find a metal connection at all. I assumed he broke it off somehow and is just saying that to me.

Therefore that mosfet did not have a connection for one leg. Is that true? Is one of the corner mosfets not connected or did he break it? Or maybe it overheated and broke and thats the root cause of the problem in the first place.
He still soldered it onto the base even though there was no metal.

Anyways, regardless of who broke it, theres no connection for one leg of one mosfet.
I have 6 brand new mosfets sitting here (since i initially ordered 6 extra) and a DME which isn't working just like before.
Any suggestions for what to do next?

I would hit up n54dme.com and pay the $500 because Im desperate to get my car fixed. But i doubt they can do much in terms of getting metal to show up.
Is my only option at this time to buy a new DME?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank
I didn't solder mine a friend at work that actually enjoys doing it did it for me... He made it seem stupid easy to be honest and said I could have done it no problem...
Anyways I know you want an answer like yesterday but I'll see him on Monday and since he's the one that did it I'll let him read your experience and see if there is any merit...
I know it seems really long and I feel your pain
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #274
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 325i Sedan Silver

If the solder pad was broken off of the board you would need to make a jumper wire to wherever that pad was supposed to go to. It's called tracing and it's a pita. I do some basic level soldering; just finished switching a couple eeprom chips to get my ecu to match my CAS/keys. The biggest problem would be to find a schematics view of the ecu board though :/.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #275
cooldude346
Rep

Update for my black 2007 e90 335i

Hey guys so I don't have a code reader so I had to wait on my friend to read the codes on the car once again and just got around to doing that.
Thankfully the car sitting on my driveway is not THAT big of a problem anymore since my dad gave me his old Camry to drive around in the meantime.
I would like to solve the issue asap however so I can go back to smoking everybody I know
Jk im a safe driver.

We read in the codes yesterday after I replaced all 6 coil packs because I knew 2 or 3 must of been bad. The car did run more smoothly after replacing them but still had obvious misfire(s) and shut off as usual after 2 mins or so...

The only two codes its spitting out now are:
2E35 Injection valve cylinder 6, input signal
29DC Cylinder injection switch-off

I did a fair bit of research and found out that these random codes are not always associated with the DME 30BB failure which was the initial problem. This makes me happy since my DME may be fine now. Ironically however, the mosfet/base on the board that control the 6th fuel injector was the one that he had the trouble with when soldering. So that makes me worry.

Does anybody have any idea what any of these codes could mean? A new 6th fuel injector perhaps? An out of compression cylinder=blown engine?

Im trying my best to figure this out before I end up taking it to BMW of Fairfax and take a 4k hit on repairs most likely. :/
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #276
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 325i Sedan Silver

Quote:
Hey guys so I don't have a code reader so I had to wait on my friend to read the codes on the car once again and just got around to doing that.
Thankfully the car sitting on my driveway is not THAT big of a problem anymore since my dad gave me his old Camry to drive around in the meantime.
I would like to solve the issue asap however so I can go back to smoking everybody I know
Jk im a safe driver.

We read in the codes yesterday after I replaced all 6 coil packs because I knew 2 or 3 must of been bad. The car did run more smoothly after replacing them but still had obvious misfire(s) and shut off as usual after 2 mins or so...

I did a fair bit of research and found out that these random codes are not always associated with the DME 30BB failure which was the initial problem. This makes me happy since my DME may be fine now. Ironically however, the mosfet/base on the board that control the 6th fuel injector was the one that he had the trouble with when soldering. So that makes me worry.

Does anybody have any idea what any of these codes could mean? A new 6th fuel injector perhaps? An out of compression cylinder=blown engine?

Im trying my best to figure this out before I end up taking it to BMW of Fairfax and take a 4k hit on repairs most likely. :/

Have you looked through your settings in INPA? It'll show you the values of the injectors at how much fuel and for how long it's being injected. Do you think you can take a photo of the missing pin? Obviously you would want to find out what happened if it's really missing a connection
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #277
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Jk im a safe driver.

The injector may be toast. A common issue with fried DMEs. But be sure to replace all in the same bank, you cant just replace one. All injectors in the same bank must be the identical, so you're looking at a grand or so anyway. Sorry this is dragging on for so long. If you need someone to run a diagnostic on the injectors, I recommend GT Peace auto in Chantilly. Galen and Scott did the work on my fried DME. That said mine was replaced under warranty, but they know what to look for. At least they can test out your Injectors.
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #278
BMWHutt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 525i, 2005 530i, 2007335i

E92 335i DME issues

Hello my friends,

I recently got my DME back after having all 6 MOSFETS replaced. Code 30BB went away and now getting codes 2E30, 2E31, 2E32, 30AE and 30AC. Should I replace all the coils and spark plugs first or replace all 3 injectors?

Victor
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 05:59 AM   #279
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHutt View Post
Hello my friends,

I recently got my DME back after having all 6 MOSFETS replaced. Code 30BB went away and now getting codes 2E30, 2E31, 2E32, 30AE and 30AC. Should I replace all the coils and spark plugs first or replace all 3 injectors?

Victor
first thing I'd do is the DME cover and verify yourself that the correct parts were used and that the repair work is clean.

if it all checks out. try swapping the coils to another bank and see if the codes change. the plugs, depending on mileage change em anyway. they are cheap enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #280
BMWHutt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 525i, 2005 530i, 2007335i

Man... I hope he did a good job.. that is a good idea I was avoiding taking it apart ... I have original coils and about 20k on the plugs so I will order those ... I think I still have a couple gallons of e85 in there also I filled the tank back up with 93 before I got it towed to my house.. I also tried reinstalling the JB4 and running map 5 just seems worse...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #281
DKNY66
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Anyone by NJ or NY area that has extra mosfit chips. I ordered some today but won't get here till Tuesday. I need them asap. I'll take 1 or 6 , what ever you have any will pay what ever you think is fair. Please pm me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #282
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY 335 View Post
first thing I'd do is the DME cover and verify yourself that the correct parts were used and that the repair work is clean.

if it all checks out. try swapping the coils to another bank and see if the codes change. the plugs, depending on mileage change em anyway. they are cheap enough.
It's extremely common if not always that the mosfets frying takes out at least one could.. Kinda like a chicken or the egg thing to be honest
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #283
Duck70
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

I love this thread. I about died when reading the code that it was 'fried' DME. I removed my DME, tested the Mosfets for connectivity and sure enough, the Mosfet for injector 5 was testing positive for failure. Now I just need to find someone to do the repair, any rec's in Oregon?

Also, upon reinstall, is there any software flashes that need to be done or is it just plug back in and drive? thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #284
AlpineWhiteF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 Mosselman

Okay so here's what happened. I ordered the 2step rely for my JB4, I'm stead of waiting until the morning I did it during night and rushing. Long story short I connected the wiring harness on the right side if the DME wrong. I connected the black on top instead of the grey and tried to start the car. Car didn't start. Now even with out the JB4 connected the car isn't turning over. Car is at the shop and they are saying they can't read any codes. I'm sure I fired the DME. I'm taking the DME out tomorrow and see if a local electronic shop (Germany) has the right MOSFETs. This is my 08 e92 I'm taking about. Hopefully this get my car started again!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #285
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Anyone got photos of this? I'm not seeing the original ones. At least one of mine shit the bed today lol
      11-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #286
Slow-n54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Anyone in Greensboro North Carolina can help with this I had the 2 step and it fried it .
Appreciate 0