E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cilajet experiences, Worth it or not??

08-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Mizipiman
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Cilajet experiences, Worth it or not??

Hi,

I did a search and found a few topics on this that were several years old and short. They also didn't include any actual experiences of people that have had this product applied to their car. Although I do trust what the pro detailers say, (some were totally against it and some on the fence), I am looking for opinions from actual experience. I am considering it for all of the claims that the dealer and company make, but the I also know that they of course will praise the product because they make money off of it and a LOT at that. It is being offered for $895!!!!....... But on the other hand, I don't have a lot of time to personally detail my ride all the time the way it should be. I also live in Germany and IMO, I don't think the detail shops here are nearly as good as in the States and very expensive. This SOUNDS good but is it really as good as it sounds? If it is really that good then I don't mind spending the money.
2010 Harley Davidson Street Glide
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Sounds like an overpriced sealant to me. As a pilot (just the small single engine stuff nothing cool here), I'm always skeptical of anything that touts "jets" or "aircraft" in their marketing... most airplanes I've seen aren't polished and typically just look pretty dull. Cessna recommends a "good quality automotive wax" to protect the finish. <Anything> applied to your average airplane will make it look like great... washing is a huge improvement for most. If I were you, I'd buy a $29 bottle of Blackfire Wet Diamond (BFWD), wash the car when it's dirty, and smear BFWD on every 6 - 12 months or whenever you remember. You don't have to be a detailer... just an hour of your time once or twice a year. You'll probably end up with similar results to the cilajet stuff for a fraction of the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Blackfire Wet Diamond (BFWD) is great stuff. Also do not know Cilajet, never used it. I have used OPTICOAT that IMHO is really good.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Mizipiman
Germany
Rep

There has got to be some one out there that has had this!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizipiman View Post
There has got to be some one out there that has had this!
unlikely anyone here has. If it sounds too good to be true it is, skip that and just have a good local detailer go over your car once or twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Mizipiman
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
unlikely anyone here has. If it sounds too good to be true it is, skip that and just have a good local detailer go over your car once or twice a year.
I don't think there is any such thing in Germany! Can't wait to move back to the States...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Lifetime Paint Protection

The technology for a lifetime protection for a vehicles paint film surface does not currently exist.

There is no polymer, synthetic or natural wax, or after-market product available that can provide a five year or lifetime protection to a paint film surface; read the fine print in the contract offered by car dealerships.

There is normally a clause that states you should return the vehicle for a "maintenance" application of the product (at 3 or 6 months intervals) failing to do this will void your warranty or the fine print will basically exclude every condition you could claim against

The primary protection provided for a modern water-based colour coat is a polythene paint that has a thickness of (127 - 178 µ) comprise a Primer coat of 2Mils (50 µ) a Colour coat of 1-2Mils (25 -50 µ) and Clear coat 2-3Mils (50 - 75 µ) An applied paint protection product is the entire barrier that provides protection for automotive paintwork besides the clear coat paint and this renewable barrier is probably less than 0.001Mil (0.0254 µm)

While it’s true that a polymer paints melting point is 350oF +, it is still subject to evaporation and erosion by the elements and vehicle washing. However its durability is approximately five or six months. The newer silica coating products actually exhibit a durability of two years or more (but not lifetime)

Most dealerships rely on the fact that few customers read the fine print on the contract; most contain a clause that states “it must be reapplied every 6 months and every 3 months on darker coloured cars (for which a service charge will apply)”.

[If it sounds too good to be true...it probably isn't] - Anon
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Mizipiman
Germany
Rep

Blackfire wet diamond it is then. If I could find an unbiased review/opinion that says Cilajet did what it claims I wouldn't mind spending $900 for protection and convenience like that but I can't find one unbiased person that says it it isn't swirled/dull after 1 year!! Any other product suggestions besides BFWD?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Nan
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i M Sport

I had cilajet applied to my new BMW. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!! I waited months for my new car to come from Germany, I picked it up at the dealers all nice and shiny. They talked me into cilajet, I PAID 1,300. Two days after it was applied I had it outside in the rain. When it dried big white spots appeared all over my car, windshield and windows. There is also white residue on the inside door sills and white streaks are running out of the grill and down the side of the car. It took 3 people washing the car to try to get the white spots off. Only problem, every time it rains the white spots appear again. I paid 50,000 for my new dream car only to have a car that is covered in spots. UPDATE: Had it reapplied, the women at Fields BMW Lanette Wheatcraft first said it was hard water spots. We pointed out that under the cilajet agreement this is covered. She then admitted it wasn't applied correctly, this statement was made in front of my husband, the salesman Phillip Deane and me. She said don't worry we will take care of this problem for you. They reapplied it and when they were done my husband said now put the hose to it and wet it down. After a few minutes my husband, the guy who applied the cilajet and our salesman Phillip Deane saw the white spot covering my car when it dried. The salesman didn't know why this was happening and took several pictures. He said he will find out what is going on. Next thing we know Fields sent us an email saying there was nothing else they could do that the product was doing what it is suppose to do. You have to be kidding! So every time it rains I am going to get big white spots covering every inch of my car? A women at Cilajet said to solve the problem wash it down each time we drive it. Yeah right like I have time to wash my car each morning before I go out. We are getting another car for my husband and we were looking at another BMW but we are NEVER going to get another car from Field's BMW in Lakeland. We will either go to another BMW or get a Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #10
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
I think Cilajet is great, it's just really expensive.