E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2 things- sqeaky rear + sore back

12-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

2 things- sqeaky rear + sore back

Slight creaking at low speeds over speed humps, reproduced pushing down on the right rear. Don't think it's anything major. Dealers ticked suspension OK on recent vehicle check. Could it be as simple as grit, or bushes or possibly a brake sensor rubbing?

Also had a dull back ache trying off different seating. Seems worse when the base is almost horizontal and height too low. Seems to be most comfortable with the base tilted so the back of the base is nearly at it's lowest point so my arse is lower than my knees. A long with the height around midway and the side bolsters pulled in with back rest so it naturally touches just below should blades (quite upright); this seems the best.

Even though i don't really get aches like this it's not spot on. How have you set up your seats? It's the position, not the run flats as they have gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

I have a slightly creaky rear end too . Dealer tried to charge me for cleaning pads or hand brake (i think) so told them no way.

I posted a thread a while back about back ache - took me ages to find the right position and the seats are toss to adjust
      12-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
no_ball
No Fear
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

The E90 has the worse seat I have ever had the displeasure of sitting in. Ran an E39 for 7 years, no problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Bungle009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had several E39's with sports seats, and have to say I find the seats in the E90 m-Sport to be far superior. Just goes to show, you cant please all the people all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Slight creaking at low speeds over speed humps, reproduced pushing down on the right rear. Don't think it's anything major. Dealers ticked suspension OK on recent vehicle check. Could it be as simple as grit, or bushes or possibly a brake sensor rubbing?
This is the proverbial wild goose chase needle in a haystack scenario.

I had the same problem for a year or so, its miraculously vanished now for no apparent reason!

Yves
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Ben, the creaking is prob just beacuse the whole underside of the car is caked in salt - I bet once it has been driven again in some hard rain and gets a good rinse it will disappear. Prob just a rubber mount or bush dried out with salt/grit deposits.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Thanks mate hadn't thought of that but makes sense and only just noticed it. Sure all is fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

I have mine set like you ben, arse lower than my knees with the front support bit out and the back of the seat upright I find it the most comfortable position to sit in.

it is difficult for me to get a good seating position being 6ft 4 but once I've got it I think its really good.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:17 AM   #9
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

I used to have a back prob, serious enough to justify a disabled Blue Badge, as I was on crutches.
Now all that is in the past and I am back to my 3 x ½ hr jogs a week.
The solution for me, was the move from SE seating to M-sport seats and very important to always have the seat tilted back to make sure some weight of the body was taken on the seat back.
If you have a back prob don’t drive with the seat back vertical as it will load the vertebra which will tend to squeeze the cartilage and press against a nerve. An MIR scan showed for me it was doing just that.
Once I new the prob the tilted seat back was the main cure. The M-sport seats are good and in particular for supporting the back, the adjustable lumbar pads and side bolsters.
Wish you all the best!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

+1 on the M-sport seats, although my last car was an M-sport and I used to get low back ache while now I don't in my new car.

I'm fairly sure I've got the seat in the same position as before, the only real change is the move from leather to cloth. I find the cloth holds me in position better than the leather did, the leather I found sometimes I'd slide forward a bit.

Works for me at least
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
effone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
i used to have this issue on one of my cars - not a BMW granted... but I used to give all rubber bushes that could access a squirt of WD40 and it stopped the groaning and moaning... from the car anyway !!

may be worth a try - not going to cost you a fortune to try !!

cheers,

ian b
Appreciate 0