E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bmw to WRX?

05-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #45
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

I tried to convince myself to buy a 2012 STI instead of the 2012 335 XI. Way cheaper and way cheaper/easier to mod. I was looking for a DD and track rat to beat on. For the money, I thought the STI would fit the bill. But I made the shortest test drive ever in the STI. Drove 2 lights to the FWY onramp, down about 1/2 mile on the FWY and looked for the nearest escape route to get out of a very noisy, rattling, bouncy, albeit light and fast, car. No way I could take that as a DD. Just a track rat, probably the EVO, but that is supposed to be even less comfortable than the STI. BMW is plush, pleasing to look at, smooth, and fun to drive, though more $$$.

Repair what you have unless you want to drop MORE cash on a new car. Now, if you're 20-something, then the comfort, quiet, and plushness of BMW may not be as big of a deal for you as others.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #46
tullnd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
From what I've read/heard, the WRX engine has a bad habit of blowing head gaskets and requiring engine removal to fix them, plus a few other weak points. They're not real easy to work on, but aside from that, they have a fairly good reputation. Personally, I wouldn't choose one over say, a CPO BMW, but sometimes financial constraints are a large part of the decision process. I do think it'd be a "come-down" from BMW in terms of comfort and quality - but that is again a personal opinion and not a recommendation either way.
I'm not sure where you heard that. Older 2.5L engines from the 97-01 vintage(not in the WRX, in the Legacy and 2.5RS series Impreza) had headgasket issues. Fixed with a newer gasket or adding a treatment to the coolant.

The only WRX headgasket issues that exist(and are rare) are with rather high horsepower applications/modifications. And even then, the engines are actually easy to work on. Far easier than the BMW engines lol. Not a knock on BMW, but Subaru greatest strength has been reliability by using rather simplified technologies. They don't tend to use the latest and greatest until it's thoroughly tested and beyond reliable. Heck, direct injection hasn't been in their lineup until the BRZ and that's only because of the partnership with Toyota. They take the "classic" style mechanics and just polish it for the most efficiency they can get out of it. It works pretty well. But it's inherently different than the BMW viewpoint.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #47
buns81
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuousWolf View Post
Hi I was just wondering what 3 series owners think about a WRX? I used to have a Saab and I think because of some of the problems I experienced when it started getting high in the mileage (110k), I am starting to get really paranoid about repairs with my bmw. Unfortunately I can't afford a new bmw at this time, but the WRX intrigues me. I could get a brand new one that would have warranty and be paying a couple dollars per month than I am paying right now for my car. My car has 80k miles on it, and I'm starting to freak out a bit.

Am I going to regret getting this car? Aside from it not being a premium brand what do you guys think about them?

I plan on being a BMW guy again once I can afford the higher end ones haha! I just feel stuck in this car
I just recently went from an 08 335i (with premium and sport pkg) to a 2013 Premium WRX hatchback.
I have to say .. I still miss my 335i. I plan on getting an m3 in the future. But I feel the move was a good one. I felt the 335 was eventually gonna cost me a butt load in maintenance. The engine was acting funny ... and had to do work on it under CPO (luckily). The tires couldn't be rotated because of the wider rear 18in tires. And to think i have to buy 4 new rims and 4 new tires for winter. All that just annoyed me and went for the WRX. I miss the luxury, but the power is still there, just have to rev the engine a little more.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #48
Scastillo27
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

wrx to 335i

I actually went from a 03 WRX that I owned for 9 years to a 07 E90 335i, and I must say to me it was an upgrade! I loved my suby, but as someone mentioned earlier definately two different cars. Interior quality lacks in the wrx, but the AWD and the nice power-for-the-money aspect is great too. I never had any major maintenance problems and the ones the came up, I was able to fix on my own. All in all you can't go wrong with suby!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #49
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Did you have a look at the http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624917 (What care did you have before your BMW) thread? I realize it's reverse from your request, however it might help with a decision..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #50
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

Didn't read replies but WRX's are legit. Get the STi if you can afford it. The transmission alone is worth the upgrade. Great tuner cars and really useful if you get the hatchback.

I'm waiting to see how the next generation STi, that is due out in a couple of years, will turn out. If it's what I want I'll probably trade in the 335i for it.

Used to have a 2004 STi.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #51
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Eww didn't you know E9X owners were only allowed to get Porsches or exotics? Anything else would just be so depressingly disappointing. Even Veyrons don't quite have the magic of the Ultimate Driving Machine.

But seriously, like others have pointed out, don't make the move if you're concerned about doing it for the financial reason only. You're better off holding onto your 330 unless you've neglected to do "above and beyond" preventative maintenance to this point. That means changing the oil at decent intervals, not buying into the lifetime BS they try to feed you, and taking care of things that will fail before they should (e.g. water pump but I don't know what else is common on the 330). If you were coming from a 335, my opinion might differ, but you've got a 330. IMHO the best E9X to have post warranty.

But if you want to move to the WRX because that's the car you want (not solely because of financials), then go ahead and do it. They're fun cars.

Last edited by ragingclue; 01-11-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #52
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

so i never really looked into suburu and just did. how would someone feel between a WRX and a vw GLI?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #53
jcarv20s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Had a WRX before my 335xi. Love them both for different reasons. GLI....just died a little inside hearing that....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #54
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

A WRX is a fairly unique car. The only thing that's pretty similar is the Mitsubishi Evo. Light, turbocharged, AWD sedans/wagons aren't very common. Not to mention the Subaru boxer engines are unique and sound awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #55
buns81
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Just moved from an 08 BMW 335i with Sport and Premium Pkg to a 2013 Subaru WRX Premium. I have mixed feelings with the car. I love the WRX but I miss the low end torque and the interior quality of the 335i. The first thing that bugged me with the wrx once I left the lot was how loud the road noise was. I am going to enjoy the WRX as much as I can, but I have already decided that my next car will either be another 335i or M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #56
cuiter23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2 6Spd

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [6.00]
maybe from 330 --> STi would be justified but definitely not a WRX :
[SOLD] 2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
2023 G87 M2 6Spd - HEA Package | OEM M Performance Carbon Wing
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #57
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Take it from a beancounter with a car problem..

The longer you keep a car, the cheaper it is. You may rest better at night with a newer model car, but it is not the fiscally sound thing to do. Repairs will cost more on the old car, but the new car will depreciate a few thousand dollars the second you drive away. So why not spend that few thousand dollars on maintenance. You're in the same place financially.

I may give different advice if you were driving an E60 M5 with 80K on it, but a 330i I think is a pretty solid reliable drivetrain. Many on the forum will agree. There is a guy with over 200K on an E90 325i and didn't look like he had many mechanical issues.

Find a small independent shop through recommendations on the forum and do your servicing there. Save your money and upgrade in a few years.

If you do nothing else to the car, CHANGE ALL THE FLUIDS! ALL OF THEM!

Don't forget the intangible loss that's hard to quantify. The intangible loss is only felt when you walk out to get in your Subaru each morning, you'll miss the BMW.

That said, the WRX is a great package from a drivers perspective, but its no BMW in fit, finish and cache.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #58
sovende96
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i MSport

Having just sold my 2012 wrb (world rally blue) wrx with 4,100 miles, I would say go for something closer to your bmw. Don't get me wrong, its a fun car with a lot of hp stock and great reliability, but it will be nothing to the 335 I am picking up in 2 days!

Pros to the WRX

-Reliability (had 0 problems, and drove the car hard)
-Cheap (ish) to mod (Stage 2 gave 311 hp with about a grand of work) Pretty quick for such a light car
-Unstoppable in the snow with the AWD and winter tires.

Cons to the WRX

-Stock WRX suspension made it uncomfortable at high speeds
-Crappy Interior (tons of rattles throughout the car)
-Cheap stereo/electronics
-WRX transmission is weak

If you decide to go and get a "scooby",,,, budget for an sti.
otherwise
Keep your bmw or get a 335/m3

Heres a quick pic of what I am leaving for the 335.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0