E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 Audio Upgrade Intro and Phase 1 - Vibe Litebox Stereo 4 Amplifier Install

12-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #45
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

HI where have you the amp mounted. I have read a few posts where the amp as been mounted above the petrol tank area and it has been picking up interference from the fuel pump. When the amp has been relocated to n/s/r corner and interference dissapeared.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #46
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
HI where have you the amp mounted. I have read a few posts where the amp as been mounted above the petrol tank area and it has been picking up interference from the fuel pump. When the amp has been relocated to n/s/r corner and interference dissapeared.
Doh just read the whole thread and see you have the amp mounted were they recommend.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #47
sniffer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hi, thanks for your post but the interference is definitely not the fuel pump.

Some of it is what I assume is ignition related, rises and falls with the engine revs. Another large part of interference it is the water pump - the 335i has an electric water pump which must draw a lot of current. Then there is other interference from things like the Xenons when they first switch on, etc.

So, I have got all my old RCA cables down from the loft from long ago installs and I am not sure what to do. I cut the end off an RCA cable and there is not much wire there at all.

How would this then connect into the car speaker wires?

I have spent a while researching and understand that the car is now coded to Hi-Fi and therefore using "Balanced Outputs" so what to do?

When the HU has been coded to Hi-Fi to provide un-amplified, unadjusted signal inputs, I also flicked the Vibe switch down to "Low" for the level of input, which should be correct.

Last edited by sniffer; 12-06-2012 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #48
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffer View Post
Hi, thanks for your post but the interference is definitely not the fuel pump.

Some of it is what I assume is ignition related, rises and falls with the engine revs. Another large part of interference it is the water pump - the 335i has an electric water pump which must draw a lot of current. Then there is other interference from things like the Xenons when they first switch on, etc.

So, I have got all my old RCA cables down from the loft from long ago installs and I am not sure what to do. I cut the end off an RCA cable and there is not much wire there at all.

How would this then connect into the car speaker wires?

I have spent a while researching and understand that the car is now coded to Hi-Fi and therefore using "Balanced Outputs" so what to do?
Makkon forum member was selling a harness with all the rca connections made up. Think it connected between the quadralock a the back of the headunit. All you had to do then was run a quality set of rcas down the car. Worthwhile dropping him a pm he has his set up similiar to your system.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #49
sniffer
Private First Class
Rep

So, been reading about for hours and not getting far. . .but:

. .these "balanced" outputs from the head unit. . . do you need to keep the Vibe switched "High" level inputs even if I have coded the HU to Hi-Fi to put out low level . .

I am thinking that perhaps when switched to "Low" level input, as I have done, the Vibe is expecting the signal on the RCA pin to be the signal and the shield to simply be 0V. . .which is not the case with the Hi-Fi configuration because of these "balanced" outputs.

I have read a thread which says the Vibe amp supports balanced outputs but perhaps only when switched in "High" level input mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #50
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffer View Post
So, been reading about for hours and not getting far. . .but:

. .these "balanced" outputs from the head unit. . . do you need to keep the Vibe switched "High" level inputs even if I have coded the HU to Hi-Fi to put out low level . .

I am thinking that perhaps when switched to "Low" level input, as I have done, the Vibe is expecting the signal on the RCA pin to be the signal and the shield to simply be 0V. . .which is not the case with the Hi-Fi configuration because of these "balanced" outputs.

I have read a thread which says the Vibe amp supports balanced outputs but perhaps only when switched in "High" level input mode?
Yeah i think your rite in what your saying. What i gather is only the jl amps and arc-mini amps can be used when using differential outputs. Thats one of the reasons i went with the ms8 it sorts all these issues out.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #51
sniffer
Private First Class
Rep

So, it is raining but I have been out and changed the switch on the Vibe back to "High" level inputs. The noise and ALL interference is now gone.

I will have to re-setup the gain, crossovers, etc now BUT it seems that I have a conclusion:

The Vibe Litebox only supports balanced differential inputs when configured to use "High" level inputs through the switch on it's underside.

If it is set to "Low" it expects normal RCA inputs with only a ground on the shield, not the reverse of the signal. . . . . . So, you then get a ground loop which picks up noise / interference from the ignition, electric water pump, xenons and other items from the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #52
sniffer
Private First Class
Rep

OK, so finally sorted.

When I recoded my HU to Hi-Fi, so the HU was putting out low level inputs, I also flicked the switch on the amp to use "Low" level inputs.

I was then getting ground loop issues.

For the Vibe amplifier to accept differential balanced inputs it MUST be configured on it's flick switch to "High" level input.
Appreciate 0