E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > cabin/dash rattle

03-13-2015, 04:45 AM   #1
webby888
Private
Rep
Drives: 330D E92

cabin/dash rattle

I have a 2007 E92 and I was just wondering if there is a common dash rattling?

Tends to happen at all speeds 30-70.

Sounds like it is coming from deep behind the centre dash, could be completely wrong though as it is hard to tell.

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure what it could be.

Are there any common rattles these cars get that can be resolved?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 04:50 AM   #2
cb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had the same issue with my E92 2007. I thought the rattling came from the dash as well nut then it turned out to be my mirror. Next time if you can hear the noise again just push your mirror maybe you have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

I had half my dash out looking for the rattle. There was a guide about the rattle coming from under the CCC unit. Put some material inside the CCC cage but the noise was still there.
THEN, i swapped my tyres for non run flats. Noise gone. The run flats will amplify all sort of noises inside the cabin which could be impossible to eliminate.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
My money is on something like a coin, small stone or something having found it's way down into the vents beneath the driver or passenger seat.

I had a small screw (not from anywhere off my car....oddly) rattling round in the vent under my drivers seat and it drove me nuts.

I swore blind it was something behind the dash, having taken out the vents, display unit, etc, but there was nothing.

The sound travels through the vent system and just *seems* to be coming from the dash.

Thankfully the object in mine was metal, so was easily removed by a magnet on a stick, fishing stones or coins out is a bit more fiddly unless you have Jeremy Beadle hands with abnormally long fingers!

The other thing it might be is the crappy "flexible" joint BMW used to fix the front wing to the body. To be honest though, you can usually tell where the sound is coming from with these, and it's only usually prevelant at higher speeds. You can see it when you open the door. There is nothing to tighten up unfortunately and it's plastic, and is therefore affected by ambient temperature as things expand and contract slightly. Mine makes a slight ratting noise in winter, but it's only really noticeable at motorway speeds to be honest, but is fine in spring/summer. I keep meaning to squidge a bit of silicone into the joint to shut the fucking thing up, but then forget about it most of the time as I always have tunes on!

Have a poke around the vents beneath the seats mate, I reckon that's your problem.

Another thing I keep meaning to do is put some kind of netting over the under seat vents to stop anything going down there in future.

Last edited by Russbmw; 03-13-2015 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
ronniemc
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

I had a horrible irritating sound on mine which sounded like it was coming from the centre of the dash, ended up being the engine cover. It had been taken off and one of the little sponge blocks had come off. I ended up taking out the two rear retaining screws and has been pretty much fine since.
Appreciate 0