E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Security System question

04-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Security System question

Hi guys. Brand new member here and first time soon-to-be owner of a 2007 328i. I'll be taking delivery next week. Can't wait! My question is though, and I'm probably stupid for asking this but... Does the 328i come with a security system? i can't find anything about it on the bmw website and in my brochures theres nothing about it. I did not opt for the comfort access option so i dunno if that makes any difference? Can anyone shed some light? I searched for stock security system but couldn't find anything.. hrm.. Thanks for all help
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
there is only the door locking. most of the bmw's besides from a few select cars come from the factory with an alarm. its usually a dealer installed option. maybe you can talk to your dealer/sales associate and see if they will throw it in...that is before you sign the check
      04-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep

Ugh. Thanks for the info. I had no idea! i wondered why my dealer never told me anything about a security system. They never even offered me an option and instead trying to sell me a boomerang system. Thats terrible. A $40000 car should come with a security system. I mean... even Hondas and Toyotas do. Man that BITES.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep

Does it have an immobilizer?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
the e9x series is pretty safe i feel. its pretty hard to steal the car that relies on the electronic key's nowadays. hotwiring is outta the question. in fact, im pretty sure that thieves would prefer to just snatch your keys...it saves them a lotta time. in a way, its safer, but then also its not as they may get more violent if they are determined to get your car...the alarm is pretty much just the audible option. it rings when glass is shattered, or the motion dector gets tripped from inside the car, or if the car is tilted to an angle when the alarm is activated (putting on a flat-bed), etc...occasionally, the dealers will have alarm sales. i purchased mine in toronto after the fact, for $430 installed. got lucky.
      04-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your help. Im getting my car from Town and Country BMW and they are trying to sell me a boomerang security system. Any thoughts on if its any good? I'm really surprised that it doesnt have some sort of security system. I guess thats my first and only complaint (so far) about the car. Boourns.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
ctgazer is right...I think the car is pretty safe even if it doesnt come with an alarm. I believe its next to impossible to hotwire the car. Basically if someone wants your car that bad they'll need your keys. I got a deal too from BMW Autohaus on the alarm and install months after I got my car and pretty close to what ctgazer paid. The functions are pretty much as ctgazer reports. So really it all depends on what you expect the alarm to do for you. About the Boomerang system...not really sure its worth it. Its basically there so that your car might be recovered if stolen. But for me, my insurance company for the first 2 years will just replace the car if stolen and not recovered. I'm not sure if I'd want mine back once someone has stolen it and likely damaged it. My insurance company doesn't offer a discount either if I have the boomerang system. Also I haven't heard of anyones E90 being stolen on this forum in a year and a half. So I'd think twice about paying for something you may not use. Just my 2 cents. Hope its some food for thought for you.
      04-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Doesn't the 3 comes with an engine immobilizer?

Boomerang would actually be able to recover you car once it's stolen, but that doesn't deter people from smashing windows and steal things inside the car. If your car is already hidden somewhere where they can't get a signal, boomerang won't work either.

Besides, do you really want your car back once it's stolen?
      04-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi Special Edition

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
From what I know of boomerang, its suppose to get your car back under 10 minutes or the next unit for your car is free. Its suppose to work even in multi-level underground parking. But like ctgazer said, you can get the oem alarm for under $500 after the fact. BMW Autohaus has specials on alarms every now and then. Might want to check them out.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
ctgazer is right...I think the car is pretty safe even if it doesnt come with an alarm. I believe its next to impossible to hotwire the car. Basically if someone wants your car that bad they'll need your keys. I got a deal too from BMW Autohaus on the alarm and install months after I got my car and pretty close to what ctgazer paid.
May I ask how much you got it from Autohaus for? Peter, the service manager offered it to me for about $700 plus tax, which is already down from the $940 or so that they regularly charge.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #11
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep

Thanks

Hey guys thanks for all the help. The reason why I am so anal about having a security system is beacuse last month I had my RSX Type S stolen from Scarborough Town Center when I was watching a movie. It had an immobilizer but I think someone may have taken it and chopped it up for parts. This is the reason why I am considering a boomerang because it was hella annoying having to transit to work everyday.

Another problem for me is that I work in the vicinity of Scarborough Town Center and now I'm basically paranoid about leaving my car there. I had a Yaris as a rental from my insurance company and even that I was afraid wouldn't be there when I got back from work. I guess I wouldn't want a car back either after its been bugged around with but I'm thinkin people don't steel BMW's for the joy factor. They steal it to export it which is why Boomerang looked like a good option for me. Then again I was reading up and it turns out that some proffesional crooks can actually jam the signal if they know you've got a boomerang which is completely useless to me.

I know you can't protect your car 100% and as long as the car has an immogilizer I guess thats good but what I'm very worried about is parking my car around or near scarborough town center. So basically I'm trying to decide between getting an alarm system or a boomerang and Town and Country BMW is asking for like $600 for the boomerang... and thats after their "special" discount.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #12
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
If you are really concern about the car being stolen, I would get both the boomerang and the BMW alarm.

I believe the alarm can be had for about 300 USD online (??), installation should not take long.
      04-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #13
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
... I'm not sure if I'd want mine back once someone has stolen it and likely damaged it. My insurance company doesn't offer a discount either if I have the boomerang system.
mine doesnt offer a discount either...and i dont want my car back if someone's violated it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtype0 View Post
From what I know of boomerang, its suppose to get your car back under 10 minutes or the next unit for your car is free. Its suppose to work even in multi-level underground parking. But like ctgazer said, you can get the oem alarm for under $500 after the fact. BMW Autohaus has specials on alarms every now and then. Might want to check them out.
that is true but its kinda hypocritical for boomerang to say that...who's gonna opt for a system that doesnt find their car anyways? i guess the 10 mins is if you actually see the crook stealing your car...if you are gone for a week (lets say at the airport), and you come back to discover your car's missing....shit, it could be in mexico by then
      04-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #14
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post

that is true but its kinda hypocritical for boomerang to say that...who's gonna opt for a system that doesnt find their car anyways? i guess the 10 mins is if you actually see the crook stealing your car...if you are gone for a week (lets say at the airport), and you come back to discover your car's missing....shit, it could be in mexico by then
Actually, if the vehicle is moved without the transponder that you carry on your key, the boomerang tracking is activated immediately and if they can't reach you, they will assume your vehicle is being stolen and contact local police. Its not a "wait for you to call" kind of service.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 12:48 AM   #15
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gquie View Post
Hey guys thanks for all the help. The reason why I am so anal about having a security system is beacuse last month I had my RSX Type S stolen from Scarborough Town Center when I was watching a movie. It had an immobilizer but I think someone may have taken it and chopped it up for parts. This is the reason why I am considering a boomerang because it was hella annoying having to transit to work everyday.

Another problem for me is that I work in the vicinity of Scarborough Town Center and now I'm basically paranoid about leaving my car there. I had a Yaris as a rental from my insurance company and even that I was afraid wouldn't be there when I got back from work. I guess I wouldn't want a car back either after its been bugged around with but I'm thinkin people don't steel BMW's for the joy factor. They steal it to export it which is why Boomerang looked like a good option for me. Then again I was reading up and it turns out that some proffesional crooks can actually jam the signal if they know you've got a boomerang which is completely useless to me.

I know you can't protect your car 100% and as long as the car has an immogilizer I guess thats good but what I'm very worried about is parking my car around or near scarborough town center. So basically I'm trying to decide between getting an alarm system or a boomerang and Town and Country BMW is asking for like $600 for the boomerang... and thats after their "special" discount.
I got boomerang for $450-$500 including install and 1 year service. But then I got it as part of the car, not after the fact. Yes, as with all frequency transmitting device, its very possible to jam. You'll just have to see if your insurance will give you a discount if you get either alarm or boomerang.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
May I ask how much you got it from Autohaus for? Peter, the service manager offered it to me for about $700 plus tax, which is already down from the $940 or so that they regularly charge.
They were offering a special a while back and had limited quantities but I think I paid somewhere between $400 to $500 parts and labour, installed taxes in.
      04-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtype0 View Post
Actually, if the vehicle is moved without the transponder that you carry on your key, the boomerang tracking is activated immediately and if they can't reach you, they will assume your vehicle is being stolen and contact local police. Its not a "wait for you to call" kind of service.
With the newer boomerang system your keys are paired up with a key fob/key chain so that the boomerang unit in the car will recognize that an authorized person is operating the car. So even if someone gets a copy of your key fob made but doesnt have the boomerang fob then boomerang will be notified and they will call you to comfirm the location of your vehicle. They then begin tracking your car but theres no guarantee the cops will be right there to recover your car. Theres no rush to get the car if they can track it and I doubt they will give you its location for you to go get it. They will only allow the cops to attempt to safely secure it for you.
      04-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #18
DWB
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic Metallic

Smile Boomerang Beware

Quote:
Thanks for your help. Im getting my car from Town and Country BMW and they are trying to sell me a boomerang security system. Any thoughts on if its any good? I'm really surprised that it doesnt have some sort of security system. I guess thats my first and only complaint (so far) about the car. Boourns.
I had a Boomerang installed at BMW Durham but after I read the fine print I discovered they charge an additional $250 to locate the car and they have the option to tow your car at your expense. They advertise North American coverage but when I pressed them it turns out they have no agents in the US. Last time I looked the US was part of North America. They will however dispatch a "team" if your car is stolen in the US. So when I'm in Atlanta I guess they'll hook up a dog team and find my car.

They have to wire the device into your cars electrical system and I can't get BMW Head Office to confirm this will not void the warranty or damage the onboard circuits.

I am having this gimmick removed on Wednesday and I'm getting my money back. BMW Durham have been very good about this and I am happy with the way they have handled the situation.

The BMW key has a roll over security code and the door locks can not be unlocked even if someone breaks the window to get in. The motion sensors are the usual light and sound show but that is often enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the info. I just picked up my car last tuesday and I'm loving it. I opted NOT to go for the boomerang. After finding out about that recovery fee and the fact that its easy to jam the device (when ppl steal bmw's i guess they are pros and not just some punk kids) it kinad turned me off of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #20
DWB
Canada
Rep

Smile Happy Driving

You'll love your E90. The most fun I've ever had driving and I've been driving since 1960. Mine's a 2006 325i Arctic Metallic with Steptronic. I've clocked on 74,000 fun km since I picked her up.

If you want to get the most out of her, sign up for the BMW Driver Training course. They will show you the limits of the car and what your capable of. A most enjoyable day and BMW does it up in class.

Good luck and happy safe driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #21
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

wow bravo! mine's a 2006 as well, and I've only got 1,4000km on her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB View Post
You'll love your E90. The most fun I've ever had driving and I've been driving since 1960. Mine's a 2006 325i Arctic Metallic with Steptronic. I've clocked on 74,000 fun km since I picked her up.

If you want to get the most out of her, sign up for the BMW Driver Training course. They will show you the limits of the car and what your capable of. A most enjoyable day and BMW does it up in class.

Good luck and happy safe driving.
      04-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #22
DWB
Canada
Rep

Smile Jamming Boomerang

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I just picked up my car last tuesday and I'm loving it. I opted NOT to go for the boomerang. After finding out about that recovery fee and the fact that its easy to jam the device (when ppl steal bmw's i guess they are pros and not just some punk kids) it kinad turned me off of it.
Hi again Gquie,

Tell me more about the "jamming" of the Boomerang signal please. I hadn't heard about that but it makes sense. Right now I'm waiting for a reply from BMW Engineering in Munich regarding this add on device.

Keep an eye on those RFT's. My original Bridgestones got hard and noisy at 20,000 km and Bridgstone says that's normal for RFT's. The RFT Blizzaks went the same way so I got the dearship to buy me 4 Michelin Pilots which are non RFT and the ride and handling improved 100% not to mention the quiet ride.
Appreciate 0