E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Door Speaker Wiring -- using OEM connector?

01-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #23
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
I know bumping a thread this old is a forum etiquette no no... but did you ever fabricate the grilles? got pics?
Well, only took me a year to see this reply.

No I didnt fabricate grills, although that would be the best most "professional" option.

I used the grills which came with the CDT HD-42s (but not the plastic adapters) and stacked up small pieces of double-sided sticky tape around the edge of the speakers. I put some velcro on top of each stack, and then some velcro on the inside of the grilles.

Not a "professional" touch but it is low profile, looks fine to me, and hasnt fallen off yet. Might not work in hotter climates.
Attached Images

Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #24
davejrob
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

This looks good! how did it end up sounding? i had a set of 62 CDT golds in my STI, but i'm looking to upgrade the sound system in my BMW. What did you build the bracket out of?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #25
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejrob View Post
This looks good! how did it end up sounding? i had a set of 62 CDT golds in my STI, but i'm looking to upgrade the sound system in my BMW. What did you build the bracket out of?
The brackets which allowed me to topmount the 4" Drivers without drilling the door panels were built out of stock aluminum I got from my local hardware store. The front and back plates were from 1/8" thick flat Al, and I used some solid round rod stock for the spacers between the plates (I dont recall the diameter of the rounds, but just eyeball the available stock at your hardware store and pick a good size). I then drilled small holes in the back plate for the cable ties. I then mounted the speakers on top of the door panels, placed the bracket on the back, and attached the speaker baskets to the back plate with cable ties to "pull" the drivers into the door panel.

They speakers sound good, though I admittedly have a problem with sealing my door panels. I never could find a way to run the speaker wires through the stock door wiring connector boxes, so I just run my wires underneath the edge seals on the body and through the gap where the door panel comes up against the door metal. Thus leaving a gap between the door panel and the door.

The only way I can see to get my wires into the door would be to drill out holes in the stock wiring boxes. I would only feel comfortable drilling out the door wiring connector boxes if I could find part number and order some spare wiring connector boxes, but I have looked extensively on realoem.com and I cant find the door connector boxes in any diagram so I cant find the partnumber. I cant imagine what a dealer would charge for them, probably $100 each.

Now that I have my 6.5" speaker pods, the 4" drivers are really only needed when I have to remove the pods.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #26
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Nighttime cell phone pics (poor quality) of my Matrix armrest and Hertz Sub disappearing mounting.

I mostly drive with the rear armrest down, but when I park, I can flip the armrest up and all that is visible is a couple of straps which could be holding a box of Kleenex or something.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0