E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Evolution Racewerks Oil Coolers.

11-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
Purple All Sectors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Evolution Racewerks Oil Coolers.

Last week ER used my E90 to beta test there Competition Oil Cooler kit. Daily driving my temps are 10 to 20 degrees cooler. I just came back from buttonwillow this weekend. My temps never went over 250. But it also rained the whole entire day. Not a true test of the oil coolers. I'll keep you guys posted after my next track event. Here are some pics.
Attached Images

LTBMW, BBS LM, (SSR Comp Type C track), HKS Exhaust, KW V2, BMW Perf Bumper, BMW Perf Steering Wheel, BMW Perf CF Trunk Spoiler 2, M-tech Side Skirt, M-tech Rear Bumper, AFE Drop-in Filter, ETS FMIC, Lux H8, Euro Lens, ER Comp Oil Cooler
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
taylors335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 08 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.00]
sick here is a quick shot of the unit im installing up front in the grill area of my 335i , i have the oem cooler and adding this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

The only problem I see with this kit is that it's not compatible with the UR and Stett Intakes... which are the only intakes I would use for tracking my car...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

I cant wait to see more . Gonna get in on beta testing too for the e92. Hopefully there are no fitment issues between the e90 and e92.

As for intakes yea, i did get rid of my UR CAI. Personally i think it doenst matter that youre drawing in slightly colder air when your oil hits north of 280F. By then your risking your engine, and if your running the procede, itll drop u back down to stock boost anyways where IATs are not the bottle neck.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Thanks for letting us use your car Purple All Sectors!

I agree with opinion of the CAI slightly. In a non turbo application, cold air would definitely make a difference as there is nothing in the system to actually cool down IATs. Also IATs would be dependent heavily on engine cabin (or outside air) temps as that is where the temperature (heat) is coming from.

In a turbo application, IAT's are not dependent solely on the source of the intake but actually from the heat generated by the turbos as well as the compression of air molecules. This is why most turbo applications come with an intercooler as you would see IAT's higher than any engine cabin heat would ever produce. Thus it would be negliable if the intake source was 10F colder as once it reaches the turbos and the air is compressed, you would still see practically the same temperatures. Now, it's the job of the intercooler to cool down IATs. A good aftermarket intercooler would be more efficient and thus in essence, you would see very minimal gains from a CAI. That's why you see CAI more commonly in non turbo applications than turbo.

We run the Injen Dual Intake which isn't a CAI in our race car and I think we make great power. Plus, we're not losing races because of it. We were losing races because oil temps were going through the roof, the car would go into limp mode and the car wouldn't even make a full lap under full power. Now we don't have that problem and winning races . I think it's an easy choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
I cant wait to see more . Gonna get in on beta testing too for the e92. Hopefully there are no fitment issues between the e90 and e92.

As for intakes yea, i did get rid of my UR CAI. Personally i think it doenst matter that youre drawing in slightly colder air when your oil hits north of 280F. By then your risking your engine, and if your running the procede, itll drop u back down to stock boost anyways where IATs are not the bottle neck.
Appreciate 0