E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > What has BMW done for you?

02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

What has BMW done for you?

I have seen multiple cases of cars that have severe issues here. Mine is one of them. Please help me figure out if the deal I am getting is ok by posting what BMW has done to help you. Have they bought your car back? Have they gave you a free extended warranty? Have they given you cash compensation? Anything you guys have gotten, list it here if you could.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
swimmbackwards
Rep
Drives: 335d

Good thread idea

I don't have anything to add but I am curious to see others' experiences.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
ficklerx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
I have seen multiple cases of cars that have severe issues here. Mine is one of them. Please help me figure out if the deal I am getting is ok by posting what BMW has done to help you. Have they bought your car back? Have they gave you a free extended warranty? Have they given you cash compensation? Anything you guys have gotten, list it here if you could.
Interestingly, I just received a call from my SA regarding the backordered intake. The latest info is there is NO RELEASE DATE from the manufacturer due to lack of raw materials.

That being said, today is #109 that I have not had my car. I plan to call BMW and seek compensation of some sort. I have had nothing but good experiences with the dealer. They have graciously allowed me to put > 9k miles on a brand new loaner and have no issues with me keeping it until my car is fixed.

Guess I will have to make a service appointment soon for the loaner!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficklerx View Post
Interestingly, I just received a call from my SA regarding the backordered intake. The latest info is there is NO RELEASE DATE from the manufacturer due to lack of raw materials.

That being said, today is #109 that I have not had my car. I plan to call BMW and seek compensation of some sort. I have had nothing but good experiences with the dealer. They have graciously allowed me to put > 9k miles on a brand new loaner and have no issues with me keeping it until my car is fixed.

Can't say the same about my dealer. They have provided a loaner (but that is expected if they haven't fixed my car).

I just swapped out mine yesterday for the same reason. Had a 2014 320i, now I have a 2014 328d. Let's see how this goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
I just swapped out mine yesterday for the same reason. Had a 2014 320i, now I have a 2014 328d. Let's see how this goes.
From one 335d owner to another, I'm looking forward to your in-depth analysis on the 328d!

As for the 320i, I drove one as a loaner and could barely feel a difference in power compared to the new 328i.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
hrc630
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficklerx View Post

My car is at the dealer now for 90+ days. Yesturday i have receive an e-mail from my technical advisor that BMW have just released a new method for cleaning the intake. So i am supposed to receive my car tomorrow with my intake cleaned insted of waiting another month for a new intake.
I have a loaner X1 for the last 3 month and i hate it .
BMW do nothing for me to make me happy. I want to trade my 335d for a 335i an they give me close to nothing for my 335d 2009 (half the price i have pay 11 month ago) an want to sell me the 335i 2010 at full price !!!!
Ridiculous.... The 335d is my 3rd BMW and its the last...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
swimmbackwards
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
As for the 320i, I drove one as a loaner and could barely feel a difference in power compared to the new 328i.
I felt the 328i had substantially more low-end power than the 320i did. I also observed much greater fuel economy with the 328i than the 320i.

Last edited by swimmbackwards; 02-04-2014 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Added 'i' to clairfy gas versions
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
PSEE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

before everyone goes out and paints BMW with a broad stroke - recall that
each BMW dealer is an independent business and run that way. Sure BMW
sets certain rules, etc.

That said, we've had really supportive experience from our local dealership - in
Sudbury, MA.

Appreciate 1
      02-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
hrc630
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSEE View Post
before everyone goes out and paints BMW with a broad stroke - recall that
each BMW dealer is an independent business and run that way. Sure BMW
sets certain rules, etc.

That said, we've had really supportive experience from our local dealership - in
Sudbury, MA.

The problem is not the dealer. BMW does nothing for the carbon build up and have absolutely no solution for correct the trouble. They have told to my technical advisor that the trouble will arrive again in +- 50,000 miles...
innaceptable for me. Next time the warranty will not cover the repair and the cost of it will worth more than the car at this time. I LOVE my 335d, but its a very unreliable car because of the carbon build up, injector, dde, dpf etc... I never seen a car with that much trouble.
In this forum, its just the beginning because of the low mileage car but as soon as the mileage go up we will see a lot more trouble... Our 335d have a bad design with the EGR system and injector and BMW need to correct that !
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

BMW has done nothing beyond their contractual obligation for me.
I used to be able to get a nice x5 loaner... now they wont even do that. I have to drive a 328i which I dont like (even though they had 535i loaners on the lot).

If someday I am in the market for a new car, I will seriously consider ALL automakers.
BMW isnt really setting themselves apart from anyone else. Oh and 6 dealer visits for warranty work in 6 months? Pathetic reliability.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

FYI, when BMW NA does do something for you in terms of compensation, a disclosure is signed and notarized, as to never discuss what they have done for you and you won't sue them in the future for the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
Chuta
Private
Rep
Drives: Too many 3's

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Hmm... I was under the impression that the 335D was more reliable than the non-diesel for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuta View Post
Hmm... I was under the impression that the 335D was more reliable than the non-diesel for some reason.
That is the conventional thinking but this is not true for the 335D
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here we go...

Let me shed some light on my situation.

I told the dealership starting around 19K that I noticed decreased gas mileage and rough idle and stuttering. They didn't even log it on my service ticket because they said if it was really a problem, it would throw a Check Engine light. Well it didn't. Finally, around 32K, I got them to at least pretend to care. I sent them my fuel logs and everything. Nothing. Then again at 38K, I told them it still isn't driving correctly. Finally, at 42K, I sent them a couple links to this forum. They finally opened a PUMA case and got permission to open the engine. They said the carbon build up was bad and they had to replace the intake and clean the head. They had my car for a month at this point. I asked my service advisor what they could do to keep this from happening again and he said "Nothing...except next time it will be on your dime and not BMW's". I didn't like this answer since it is obviously a design flaw on their part, so I went to talk to the Service Manager. He said all we need to do is document it so that if it happens again at 80K, they will cover it.

So I get the car back and after a short time, I see the same stuff happening again. I take it in for service at 48K and tell them it isn't fixed. They do nothing really. Same ole "there's no Check Engine light" story. So I have no choice but to keep documenting. On November 24th, 2013, I was driving home from a car meet and all of the sudden it did the rough idle thing. But this time it was different. It threw the "Engine is operating at reduced power" AND " Check Engine" lights. I slowly coasted off the highway...one block from the dealership. What mileage was I at you ask? I was at 50,470 miles when this happened. This time the car wouldn't come back from the rough idle. I made it to the dealership and left the car there.

When I came in the next day, they put me in a loaner and said they will get BMW to cover it. They give it to a tech who is an admin with me in our local BMW club. He has been a Master Tech for 15 years. He says it needs a throttle actuator, one glow plug, and four injectors. He opens a PUMA case. BMW agrees to cover whatever is wrong with the car. Well he replaced everything and it still wasn't running right. So BMW had 6 PUMA cases open for this issue...one was for throttle actuator, one for injector wiring harness, and four for DDE. So the next thing they do is have him make a wiring harness for the injectors to see if that's the issue. Same problem. Next they order a DDE. It gets there pretty quick and he programs it and guess what....still runs bad. Well this is where it gets annoying.

I call BMW NA on Dec 13th, 2014. I talk to some kid who sounds like he is 17 years old. Not really any help. He says they can't buy back the car because it's out of warranty (whatever). He says they can't give me a symptom warranty (whatever). He basically said he couldn't do anything. I call back a couple days later and get a supervisor. She claims she is going to go to bat for me and see what she can get them (not sure who) to do. She says she will call me in 3-5 days. Nothing. I call back. She says she is still trying to reach the dealership. This goes on for a while. I go to the dealership on Dec 31st to talk to the Service Manager and see why they aren't responding to BMW NA. He says he will be down shortly. I waited 45 minutes for the Assistant Service Manager to come down and tell me that he can't get free today due to end of the year meetings. I wasn't happy.

Between all this back and forth, I get an e-mail from my Service Advisor saying that the regional tech from BMW has recommended swapping the whole engine wiring harness. At the same time this happens, my buddy quits the dealership to go be a Service Manager at an out of state dealership. So now my car is sitting there waiting on this harness and has no tech assigned to it. My service advisor sends this.... "Good morning. The engine harness has FINALLY arrived! Since "MY TECH FRIEND" is no longer with us we will have another tech begin working on the installation. I don’t know if it will finish by the weekend, and we have to make sure it fixes the problem, but and I will check in with you tomorrow afternoon with an update". He sent that to me and the Service Manager. I reply and ask if either of them have heard from BMW NA yet. No answer from either.

Well 4 days later they finally assign a tech to put the harness in my car. Here is the e-mail I got from my Service Advisor... "Your car went to one of my techs this morning to install the wire harness. The tech did not feel the harness was a fix as he believed it is a mechanical issue and not electrical. We checked compression and have very low compression on cylinders 3 and 4. We scoped the cylinder and there is cylinder wall damage. We are digging further into this but I am not any closer to getting your car back to you soon. Will update you as I get more information".

So I message my friend and he tells me they texted him about the issue. Here is that conversation:

TECH: Ya the tech that checked it out texted me today about it. I told the shop foreman before I left that it wasn't a wiring problem in my opinion but he didn't care. It's going to need a new engine FYI. More than likely THE DEALERSHIP is going to have to cover it but I didn't tell you that. The regional engineer is supposed to come and look at it tomorrow.

ME: Wow. Why is THE DEALERSHIP having to cover it? Shouldn't BMW?

TECH: It appears that it dropped an exhaust valve and it broke in the cylinder. The tech pulled a chunk of it out. THE DEALERSHIP might have to cover it as the cylinder head was just rebuilt in July when the de-carbon was done. So they have to determine if the tech that put the head back together messed it up or if it was simply a mechanical defect that caused it.

ME: Ah. That makes sense.

TECH: Either way you are gonna get a new engine.

After several more calls to the BMW NA rep, I try to see the Service Manager again a couple weeks later. He is finally there and meets with me. He is less than helpful. He says "We think we have found the problem that has been causing your car to run weird this whole time and we are working on it". I hint to him that I know that the engine was damaged because of the negligence of one of the techs and that the other issues were from the design of the car. He says they may be able to give me an extended warranty. I informed him I was aware that the engine will already have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty once it is replaced. I also told him I don't want a car with an engine that has to be replaced...especially by a shop that didn't put the head back together right. I ask him why he hasn't returned any calls or e-mails to BMW NA and he claims they haven't tried to contact him. I told him I would call them and he said "No...it's ok...I will call them myself".

I leave there and call BMW NA. I leave the rep a voicemail. A few hours later, the rep calls me and says they talked to the Service Manager and he is going to handle everything from here on out. I told her that was unacceptable as they are trying to hide the damage they did and she says that there is nothing she can do because the Service Manager will not give her any info and that he will talk to the "Regional Team" on my behalf.

I go to work the next day and seek advice from my corporate attorney. They help me find the owner and GM of the dealership's names and e-mail addresses. We call BMW NA to try and get ahold of the CEO and end up in the same place I was before. This time I get a supervisor that seems to understand what is happening and promises to get it handled. I wait again...for 5 days. I call and leave a message for the supervisor I spoke with. I get a call back from the previous supervisor I was working with who says they are up to date and understand what is happening now and are going to be involved in the process again. I still e-mailed the owner and GM of the dealership. They didn't respond to me.

So yesterday I get a call (after another week of waiting) from the BMW NA supervisor. They tell me they they have progress. The great news they gave me was that the dealership was going to assist in replacement of the engine, even though the car is out of warranty, and BMW NA MIGHT be willing to compensate me for my time without my car by offering an extended warranty.

I am not happy about this. They broke the car when it was in at 42K, so they are responsible for fixing it. And the engine itself has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, so the extended warranty offer is kinda lame in my opinion. I know the car will still have issues, but it just seems like they are doing very little. I bought the car in Feb of 2012. I haven't even had it for 2 years. I tried to sell it Nov 2012. I will hit 100,000 miles in less than 2 years on this new warranty and being that no parts have been redesigned, I expect it will still have huge issues.

Apparently in California, you can declare the car a lemon for just about anything. I am stuck because it is a factory defect car for sure, but they also broke it. I'm lost as to what to do and want to find a way to get ahold of someone higher up at BMW to hear my story and assist better than what they have. I'm tired of dealing with their $15 per hour call center "supervisor".
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
I'm curious; when do these carbon build up issues generally start showing up? I just rolled over 30,000km on the clock and the car runs (at least from an engine pov) like the day I got her with 3km on the clock. 98% of my commute is stop and go traffic so I imagine that would speed up the build up.
      02-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #16
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Sorry about your troubles bro.

So what are you going to do after you get the car back?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #17
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
I'm curious; when do these carbon build up issues generally start showing up? I just rolled over 30,000km on the clock and the car runs (at least from an engine pov) like the day I got her with 3km on the clock. 98% of my commute is stop and go traffic so I imagine that would speed up the build up.
For my car, all these problems started at around 30K miles
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #18
swimmbackwards
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
For my car, all these problems started at around 30K miles
I had my first injector replaced around then as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
Sorry about your troubles bro.

So what are you going to do after you get the car back?
No clue. I'm lost here. Can't sell it because I haven't had it very long so I have a ton of negative equity.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #20
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

I feel for you man.
I went through a similar situation. However, as soon as my Lawyer was to be involved in handling the case, things got resolved really fast. I had just enough patience chasing them to fix a car they built!

So what was really the problem with your car? As you mentioned the carbon build up cleaning didn't fix it...and the problem got worst after the valve drop.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #21
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
I feel for you man.
I went through a similar situation. However, as soon as my Lawyer was to be involved in handling the case, things got resolved really fast. I had just enough patience chasing them to fix a car they built!

So what was really the problem with your car? As you mentioned the carbon build up cleaning didn't fix it...and the problem got worst after the valve drop.
I need to find a lawyer that isn't crazy expensive.

The car still had injector and DDE problems and it may still have DPF issues, but since they jacked it up, I won't find out until later. :|
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #22
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

Wow man. That's Tragic :/
Appreciate 0