E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Prospective noob buyer E92 335i coupe

08-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Prospective noob buyer E92 335i coupe

Well I have been looking for quite a while now for a neat E60 550i with no luck, and in the interim period looked at quite a few 545i's and they were all quite rough around the edges (I'm a bit particular with my cars)

Out of curiosity I had a look at a local 2007 E92 coupe in my area, it was a manual, with quite a few options (stereo, heated seats, 19" rims etc)

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automo...er=TP005386548

Upon initial inspection it was quite rough once again with the chrome worn off the gear knob, and window surrounds, faded bmw wheel and bonnet badges, scuffed rims, lifted the oil filler cap and signs of varnished oil was visible (log books indicated that between 40k odd kays and 70k odd kays that it hadn't been serviced) it was obvious it wasn't the car for me. The owner offered me to take it for a solo drive, so I jumped in and was extremely impressed as soon as I turned the key it had a nice meaty exhaust note (louder then my TRD exhaust on my lexus) and of course as you guys are well aware it had lots of torque, an excellent gear shift and steering response was great at higher speeds (it initially felt heavy at slow speeds)

So whilst this particular example wasn't the car for me it has planted the seed to acquire a 335i coupe! I don't require a sedan, as im a single bloke with no kids and I guess its the type of car that in 20 years time you can say I once owned a bmw 335i..... I would guess that the 335i has done most of its depreciation now, and wouldn't go <$40k much like the R34 GTR VS1 hasn't dropped below $45-50k in the past 4 years?

There appears to be an exact spec car in melb for sale for $46.5k does anyone know of this car and its owner?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...k&sort=default

It appears to be exactly what I'm after, the only thing I don't like is the timber trim (I guess this could be easily swapped for an Al snakeskin type trim)

There is another example that is much closer to me with the red leather which I think contrasts well with the silver exterior:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...1&sort=default

Are the prices for these two cars about right?

So in preference is the manual generally a better option then the AT? I imagine the AT in these things are just as good as a manual. To be honest either way doesnt worry me as I love the sound of the engine note that a manual provides and the raw communication between the pilot and the driveline and fortunately I don't do a great deal of congested stop start driving.

I noticed the 335i doesnt even come with a space saver spare?!? I have only ever had 2 flat tyres, and am not keen on running runflats do you guys just normally use that tyre goo in a can?

Finally do bmw offer any sort of exhaust option? I noticed that the exhaust tip size appears different on each car for sale:

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Jexus
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Hey buddy,

There's no tip options, i believe the one from melbourne has an aftermarket tip.

And just to give you my 2 cent, I currently own an 07 model 335i, and i am pretty dissapointed with the problems that this car has. The 06-07 335i has a renouned problem with its high pressure fuel pump which wasn't manufactured well enough to withstand high rev driving. If you google HPFP problem, you'd see alot of posts on this. The states even had to do a recall and extended warrenty to replace the fuel pump for free. (but this doesnt apply for aus), i had mine replaced for $700 2 weeks after i got the car, and ever since then i've been getting more problems with the car.. Just recently i had a "steering lock" error where bmw screwed up again... And would cost me another $1000 to fix..
All these errors are common and there's a high chance it will happen to the car you are looking at. But keep in mind that this is ONLY for 06-07 models.. Seems like BMW fixed everything after thst So 08 and onwards would be fine.

Here's a few referencee to what i m talking about:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2222

http://www.7machine.com/bmw/23904.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=410153

Maybe its just my bad luck but i can tell you that i am not really enjoying my car as i should be.. Now days i m too afraid to rev it hard.. Occasionally iwould still get "engine fault, reduced power" aka limp mode..

But at the end of the day, i still love this car. It looks great, produces heaps of power once you tune it, mine's currently running at 240kwatw. So i guess if you can overlook the possible problems that this cars got then by all means get this car.

Last edited by Jexus; 08-20-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post
Hey buddy,

There's no tip options, i believe the one from melbourne has an aftermarket tip.

And just to give you my 2 cent, I currently own an 07 model 335i, and i am pretty dissapointed with the problems that this car has. The 06-07 335i has a renouned problem with its high pressure fuel pump which wasn't manufactured well enough to withstand high rev driving. If you google HPFP problem, you'd see alot of posts on this. The states even had to do a recall and extended warrenty to replace the fuel pump for free. (but this doesnt apply for aus), i had mine replaced for $700 2 weeks after i got the car, and ever since then i've been getting more problems with the car.. Just recently i had a "steering lock" error where bmw screwed up again... And would cost me another $1000 to fix..
All these errors are common and there's a high chance it will happen to the car you are looking at. But keep in mind that this is ONLY for 06-07 models.. Seems like BMW fixed everything after thst So 08 and onwards would be fine.

Here's a few referencee to what i m talking about:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2222

http://www.7machine.com/bmw/23904.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=410153

Maybe its just my bad luck but i can tell you that i am not really enjoying my car as i should be.. Now days i m too afraid to rev it hard.. Occasionally iwould still get "engine fault, reduced power" aka limp mode..

But at the end of the day, i still love this car. It looks great, produces heaps of power once you tune it, mine's currently running at 240kwatw. So i guess if you can overlook the possible problems that this cars got then by all means get this car.
Hey Geoff

Damn thats no good dude!

The car in melb has bmw premium warranty until march 2013 (I imagine everything would be covered until then?)

Have heard about the fuel pump issue but not the steering column! Do they replace the actual column or a module?

Looking on ebay the columns are cheap enough?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-BMW-s...ht_3992wt_1186
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Jexus
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Hey Geoff

Damn thats no good dude!

The car in melb has bmw premium warranty until march 2013 (I imagine everything would be covered until then?)

Have heard about the fuel pump issue but not the steering column! Do they replace the actual column or a module?

Looking on ebay the columns are cheap enough?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-BMW-s...ht_3992wt_1186
premium warrenty should cover those problems however you should give them a call to make sure.
And yes, you'd have to replace the whole column.. i am taking my car to the mechanics today to update my software and do some recoding and hopefully the steering lock error can be fixed without needing to replace the column.
that ebay link is pretty good actually, i got quoted from bmw for well over 1k...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

The majority of people I speak to about purchasing a new car keep saying BMW oh make sure you have a spare $10k in the bank for the problems you will have with it... Being stubborn I'm still determined to buy one though

Just out of curiosity you say the 06/07 models are prone to these issues, can you just replace these items with 08+ items to avoid re-occurring issues, or is it they aren't interchangeable?

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 08-20-2012 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Jexus
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

haha well they speak the truth, atleast you know what you are in for
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Having said that about premium selection does anyone know what actually it means??

I recently bought a premium selection car but it still have no god damn clue what it covers??
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

As to what premium selection is from what i have researched the "Premium Selection" program the car needs to be near new in condition, low mileage and have full bmw service history with genuine bmw parts to qualify for 'premium selection'.

So in a nusthell the car must be neat clean and in good working order as you could imagine bmw wouldn't wish to offer their warranty program for a vehicle which has a host of problems which will cost them $ in warranty claims.

Also this includes roadside/accident assistance along with a maintenance program that includes free servicing during this time (I am unsure of if parts, fluids & labour are 100% covered?) Also I believe that after the warranty period has expired and you haven't had the service conducted prior to it running out supposedly BMW will still conduct this complimentary service (within reason of course)

As to what is covered, I believe its a 'manufacturers warranty' so its like a new car warranty (unless anyone else can chime in with any further info?)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As to what premium selection is from what i have researched the "Premium Selection" program the car needs to be near new in condition, low mileage and have full bmw service history with genuine bmw parts to qualify for 'premium selection'.

So in a nusthell the car must be neat clean and in good working order as you could imagine bmw wouldn't wish to offer their warranty program for a vehicle which has a host of problems which will cost them $ in warranty claims.

Also this includes roadside/accident assistance along with a maintenance program that includes free servicing during this time (I am unsure of if parts, fluids & labour are 100% covered?) Also I believe that after the warranty period has expired and you haven't had the service conducted prior to it running out supposedly BMW will still conduct this complimentary service (within reason of course)

As to what is covered, I believe its a 'manufacturers warranty' so its like a new car warranty (unless anyone else can chime in with any further info?)
I like to believe so that it's like manufactures warranty...but I recently bought my car with 93k on the clock but still offers premium selectin. It did have slight jerk on the transmission when changing gear after I bought the car within the first week. I then booked it in for a checked and initially they wanted to charge me but got away with free check.

I notice within the first day or 2 that my allignment is out too. Do anyone know whether is that come part of the statuetory warranty or I have to pay for that to be fixed?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
I like to believe so that it's like manufactures warranty...but I recently bought my car with 93k on the clock but still offers premium selectin. It did have slight jerk on the transmission when changing gear after I bought the car within the first week. I then booked it in for a checked and initially they wanted to charge me but got away with free check.

I notice within the first day or 2 that my allignment is out too. Do anyone know whether is that come part of the statuetory warranty or I have to pay for that to be fixed?
How do you know the car is out of alignment?

I'm guessing they won't warrant the alignment (if you bought the car last week yes maybe but 3 months ago perhaps not), but it shall depend on the individual dealer and how accommodating they are.

Whilst the majority don't want to know about you once they have your hard earned $, some actually understand that good aftermarket support generally means repeat business from you down the track for purchasing of your future cars and may try to help you out as much as they can.

As the old saying goes it doesn't hurt to ask!

P.S I'm surprised the sales staff didn't go through all of this with you or did you purchase the car privately with the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Well I have been looking for quite a while now for a neat E60 550i with no luck, and in the interim period looked at quite a few 545i's and they were all quite rough around the edges (I'm a bit particular with my cars)

Out of curiosity I had a look at a local 2007 E92 coupe in my area, it was a manual, with quite a few options (stereo, heated seats, 19" rims etc)

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automo...er=TP005386548

Upon initial inspection it was quite rough once again with the chrome worn off the gear knob, and window surrounds, faded bmw wheel and bonnet badges, scuffed rims, lifted the oil filler cap and signs of varnished oil was visible (log books indicated that between 40k odd kays and 70k odd kays that it hadn't been serviced) it was obvious it wasn't the car for me. The owner offered me to take it for a solo drive, so I jumped in and was extremely impressed as soon as I turned the key it had a nice meaty exhaust note (louder then my TRD exhaust on my lexus) and of course as you guys are well aware it had lots of torque, an excellent gear shift and steering response was great at higher speeds (it initially felt heavy at slow speeds)

So whilst this particular example wasn't the car for me it has planted the seed to acquire a 335i coupe! I don't require a sedan, as im a single bloke with no kids and I guess its the type of car that in 20 years time you can say I once owned a bmw 335i..... I would guess that the 335i has done most of its depreciation now, and wouldn't go <$40k much like the R34 GTR VS1 hasn't dropped below $45-50k in the past 4 years?

There appears to be an exact spec car in melb for sale for $46.5k does anyone know of this car and its owner?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...k&sort=default

It appears to be exactly what I'm after, the only thing I don't like is the timber trim (I guess this could be easily swapped for an Al snakeskin type trim)

There is another example that is much closer to me with the red leather which I think contrasts well with the silver exterior:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...1&sort=default

Are the prices for these two cars about right?

So in preference is the manual generally a better option then the AT? I imagine the AT in these things are just as good as a manual. To be honest either way doesnt worry me as I love the sound of the engine note that a manual provides and the raw communication between the pilot and the driveline and fortunately I don't do a great deal of congested stop start driving.

I noticed the 335i doesnt even come with a space saver spare?!? I have only ever had 2 flat tyres, and am not keen on running runflats do you guys just normally use that tyre goo in a can?

Finally do bmw offer any sort of exhaust option? I noticed that the exhaust tip size appears different on each car for sale:

just get it properly checked out and look into a extended warranty. my e92 has been fine. had a vanos and spark/coils to change. other then those two cars been perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
just get it properly checked out and look into a extended warranty. my e92 has been fine. had a vanos and spark/coils to change. other then those two cars been perfect.
Since the car in melb has 6 months remaining on the warranty if I was to purchase I was thinking to just have a RACV cert done (compulsary in vic to sell a vehicle) then have someone like Peter Mabey conduct a warranty expiraton inspection.

I would definately look into extending the warranty (if it is still possible to do so on a 2006 model with 70k odd kays?) once it had expired
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How do you know the car is out of alignment?

I'm guessing they won't warrant the alignment (if you bought the car last week yes maybe but 3 months ago perhaps not), but it shall depend on the individual dealer and how accommodating they are.

Whilst the majority don't want to know about you once they have your hard earned $, some actually understand that good aftermarket support generally means repeat business from you down the track for purchasing of your future cars and may try to help you out as much as they can.

As the old saying goes it doesn't hurt to ask!

P.S I'm surprised the sales staff didn't go through all of this with you or did you purchase the car privately with the warranty?

No the alignment is out coz the car pulls to the left...and i notice this few days after I bought the car from the dealer.

Yes as much you trust them before sales after that they wash their hands and said sorry i can't help you. I told the sales guys about my lock nut socket for the wheel. it's missing since purchased.

The sales guy didnt have the time to go with me in terms on what does premium selection cover. He said it's like manufacturer warranty and when i when and send the car in for check on the transmission, services guys said nope it's not manufacturer warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Since the car in melb has 6 months remaining on the warranty if I was to purchase I was thinking to just have a RACV cert done (compulsary in vic to sell a vehicle) then have someone like Peter Mabey conduct a warranty expiraton inspection.

I would definately look into extending the warranty (if it is still possible to do so on a 2006 model with 70k odd kays?) once it had expired
I doubt you can extend the warranty once it has expired?? But Correct me if i'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No the alignment is out coz the car pulls to the left...and i notice this few days after I bought the car from the dealer.

Yes as much you trust them before sales after that they wash their hands and said sorry i can't help you. I told the sales guys about my lock nut socket for the wheel. it's missing since purchased.

The sales guy didnt have the time to go with me in terms on what does premium selection cover. He said it's like manufacturer warranty and when i when and send the car in for check on the transmission, services guys said nope it's not manufacturer warranty.
Well to be honest an alignment isnt a big issue as its a cheap fix. I have used Peter at road and race with great results in the past.

http://www.roadandraceperformance.com.au/ He is a top bloke and sets up the car with his knowledge rather then some tech at your local bob half a job jane who places the car up on a hoist and searches through the PC's database for the alignment settings for a car that is close enough (I have seen numerous alignments done that were from a different model e.g 2007 sti settings on a 2012 sti as the software was out of date)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I doubt you can extend the warranty once it has expired?? But Correct me if i'm wrong.
Well it appears as though you can:

http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/usedveh...n-brochure.pdf

Terms & Conditions:

http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/usedveh...s-brochure.pdf

When you read the terms & conditions the following statement is made:

For all BMW models (except BMW 6 Series, M6 and 7 Series): an additional 12 or 24
months, provided that the period of cover cannot be extended beyond 6 years from
the date of first registration of the Vehicle.

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 08-21-2012 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #17
BM1144
BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 325i

Alignment is definitely NOT covered under premium selection.. And its not the extension of the manufacturers warranty either.. Although its still extremely comprehensive it doesn't cover as much as the original warranty.. I know this cos I had a failed radiator, water pump and expansion tank 1 week prior to the extended warranty finishing, BMW did end up fixing it but not after they tried to get some cash out of me for "out of warranty parts" I stuck my ground and refused to pay and ended up gettin it fixed.

Saying that the service manager said if the exact same thing was to happen next week bad luck.. No goodwill repairs will ever be carried out on a car that has the extended warranty which has expired.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #18
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

so much text in this thread!

- HPFP problems in all cars. If it happens, get it replaced. $700 shouldn't break the bank and once changed to the new part number it's not likely to fail in your ownership period if at all
- No exhaust tip option. Must be aftermarket tips.
- Ditch the runflats. Goo in a can if you like else a road services membership.
- MT and AT are both very good
- Pretty sure it'll depreciate more than 40k as time goes on... it's not as collectable as an R34 GTR.

Good luck with your search.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #19
Jexus
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Oh yeah I forgotten about the runflats, I think the easiest option is to have get a puncture kit and just get normal tyres
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
so much text in this thread!

- HPFP problems in all cars. If it happens, get it replaced. $700 shouldn't break the bank and once changed to the new part number it's not likely to fail in your ownership period if at all
Yeah I didn't think this would be a dealbreaker, the electronic steering lock seems to be a bit of a worry though

I have struck a verbal deal with the owner of the space grey 335i in melb, he just needs to arrange for rwc and a date to fly down to pick her up from melb and have a nice road trip on the way home spanking that delicious 3.0L TT (note to self to practice the heel and toe gearchange in the interim period on the gf's corolla as its been 6 years since I have owned a manual!)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Yeah I didn't think this would be a dealbreaker, the electronic steering lock seems to be a bit of a worry though

I have struck a verbal deal with the owner of the space grey 335i in melb, he just needs to arrange for rwc and a date to fly down to pick her up from melb and have a nice road trip on the way home spanking that delicious 3.0L TT (note to self to practice the heel and toe gearchange in the interim period on the gf's corolla as its been 6 years since I have owned a manual!)
If you need me to go kick the tyres for you let me know
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #22
Rob32R
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 530i/VW R32/E70 X5

I would go for the Titanium Silver one Shane in Pyrmont. You are getting more bang for your buck as well as a very clean and honest unmolested 335i with extremely low kms and a full BMW comprehensive service history. The Automatic in the E92 3 Series is a fantastic gearbox.

I will be honest with you Shane, that these days people aren't after Manual gearboxes anymore. If you were to sell the grey one in the future, it's going be an absolute nightmare trying to find someone who wants a 335i in Manual. It's quite a rare choice, i don't think I have ever seen a 335i in Manual. Think of it this way, your ordinary businessman will not buy a Manual 335i as an everyday car, it's just not suitable for that sort of market. I have noticed however that the particular car in interest has been for sale for quite some time. I honestly don't know why you haven't pulled the trigger on that Titanium Silver one. I just hope you make the right decision!

I would sign the deal straight away for the Silver one if it was me!

Last edited by Rob32R; 08-21-2012 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0