E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Another Speeding Ticket Thread

02-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
typicaltrabes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Another Speeding Ticket Thread

Sorry Guys, I know they come through pretty often but I tried looking up a similar ticket and couldn't find anything useful.

I was one a drive with with a buddy of mine he was in his S5 and I was in the M. I came around a blind sharp turn in a 25 mph and as I came around there was a car taking the turn really wide. I slammed the brakes but could not have been doing more than 30. As I stopped I realized it was a cop car. He then turned on his lights and pulled me over. He gave me a ticket for 35+ in a 25 and said he had contemplated giving me a reckless driving charge. The ticket is $105 which I don't really care about paying but, my question is how hard my insurance is going to get hit. I have one speeding ticket from 1 year and a half ago doing 42 in a 35.

Again sorry for the repeated thread topic I just need to know if this is worth fighting or not. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Always worth fighting. Top tip is to keep postponing the date to appear as long as you can and hope the case gets dismissed for any number of reasons. Not likely, but you have nothing to lose by trying. There is no pleading down in NY. So it's either guilty or not guilty. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Definitely lawyer that sucker. Around here, a modest flat fee will get you off nearly guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Definitely lawyer that sucker. Around here, a modest flat fee will get you off nearly guaranteed.
x2, lawyer up and you should be able to get out of having points on that one pretty easily. Down here my last lawyer up case cost me an extra $125 I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

dashcam! Impartial evidence helps every time.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

So you were going 5 MPH over the speed limit and the cop stopped you for reckless driving? Why did he turn wide? If you are minding your own business going 5 MPH over the limit (which probably doesn't even register on a police radar) and you're well within your lane, who cares if he goes wide? And why would the cop make up a random speed (30+) when you were going identically 30? Story doesn't really add up. It sounds like an easy win in court because according to you the cop is just flat out lying about everything.

Don't cop cars have dashcam these days? I wonder if you could petition to obtain his dash cam video recording of you driving perfectly safely at 30 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
So you were going 5 MPH over the speed limit and the cop stopped you for reckless driving?
the OP said "I couldn't have been going over 30"....so no, he never said he was doing 5mph over the limit....

Quote:
If you are minding your own business going 5 MPH over the limit (which probably doesn't even register on a police radar)...
HAHAHAHA !!!!!

any speed registers on the radar, man......c'mon.....

Quote:
And why would the cop make up a random speed (30+) when you were going identically 30?
there was no proof that the OP was going exactly 30mph.....

Quote:
Story doesn't really add up. It sounds like an easy win in court because according to you the cop is just flat out lying about everything.
this.

even after all this bullshit, there is a good chance that you can fight it in court and get it dismissed....

never seen a cop write "35+" on a ticket without verification from a radar.

unless he was trained in a radar course and can judge the speed of a car based on training without a radar (doubt it though).

Quote:
Don't cop cars have dashcam these days? I wonder if you could petition to obtain his dash cam video recording of you driving perfectly safely at 30 MPH.
cops typically turn their dash cams on AFTER the lights have been activated - it's a wireless box that is attached to your duty belt.

once you activate the overheads, it send a signal to your audio and video equipment to turn on

but at any time, the officer can turn his camera on if he wishes. not likely though....

also, the OP is telling us he was driving perfectly safe - if he was or not is a completely different story.

on the internet, people ALWAYS abide by the law......

in conclusion: fight it, you have a solid chance of winning
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
the OP said "I couldn't have been going over 30"....so no, he never said he was doing 5mph over the limit....

HAHAHAHA !!!!!

any speed registers on the radar, man......c'mon.....

there was no proof that the OP was going exactly 30mph.....

this.

even after all this bullshit, there is a good chance that you can fight it in court and get it dismissed....

never seen a cop write "35+" on a ticket without verification from a radar.

unless he was trained in a radar course and can judge the speed of a car based on training without a radar (doubt it though).

cops typically turn their dash cams on AFTER the lights have been activated - it's a wireless box that is attached to your duty belt.

once you activate the overheads, it send a signal to your audio and video equipment to turn on

but at any time, the officer can turn his camera on if he wishes. not likely though....

also, the OP is telling us he was driving perfectly safe - if he was or not is a completely different story.

on the internet, people ALWAYS abide by the law......

in conclusion: fight it, you have a solid chance of winning
Litos knows how to read my posts between the lines all too well

I agree with everything you said. Guilty or not he should definitely fight the ticket.
Appreciate 0