E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Shaving (Facial Hair)

09-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Don't touch the watch.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #24
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Do you shave before or after you shower?

Always after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
You're doing it wrong...

If you are getting bumps and razor burn with a 5 bladed razor and a moisturizer strip.. You are doing something wrong... I use the Hydro almost every day and I have pretty sensitive skin and I have never had a problem since I started using it. The Mach 3 used to give me terrible bumps.

I would try to switch up the shaving cream you are using. Or perhaps the time you are shaving.

Safety razors do provide one of the best shaves you can give yourself. However, it requires a bit more attention.

I'm buying a safety razor. Gon do it right
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchlauCow View Post
Get this and never look back (only forward):

-Merkur Futur
-Feather blades
-Truefitt & Hill luxury shaving soap (or cream)
-Badger hair brush (silver tip)

Aftershave: Pure 100% emu oil

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #25
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
since it hasn't been said yet, http://badgerandblade.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
since it hasn't been said yet, http://badgerandblade.com/
Good point, meant to post that, just got sidetracked with the warning about Feathers.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #27
Spunkzilla
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Go get laser. Never have to worry about razor bumps again.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #28
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Read this first:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/688684...ekend_edition/

Then go buy a nice badger brush and some quality soap or cream. I use Musgo Real shave cream, can buy it off amazon for $10/tube. One tube lasts several dozen shaves.

A good brush and cream alone will change your life. I'm a fan of the DE razors, but they do take more time to shave with and they're a little tricky to get the hang of. However, nothing can shave as close as a good DE razor.
Everyone should read the above link, very good info on shaving.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #29
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

My face was OK with Feathers for the first time, and my skin looks like that of a 18 year old sans the acne.
      09-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #30
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akh23456 View Post
Always been a Fan of Gillette Mach 3 turbo.
Mach 3 Turbo FTW!

I've tried other brands, Schick included, and I always go back to the M3s.
      09-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #31
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I always dreaded shaving... And luckily was in a job where I only had to worry about it a couple times a week.

Then I got a new job where I needed to shave every day.

I use the Art of Shaving system (sandalwood)

Definitely shave in the shower (towards the end). This gives your facial hair a bit of time to soften from the steam. Then you apply the pre-shave oil then the cream with a badger brush... Then I shave with a gillette fusion pro-glide.

Once I get out and dry off I apply the art of shaving aftershave balm... Once that all evaporates I apply my traditional facial moisturizer.

Never thought that it was possible to get a shave this close or as comfortable day after day...

For me it really is about the products. A good razor is only part of the solution... Get some quality cream, etc. Yes it's more expensive, but it's totally worth it if you have sensitive skin.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #32
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
For me it really is about the products. A good razor is only part of the solution... Get some quality cream, etc. Yes it's more expensive, but it's totally worth it if you have sensitive skin.
A $30 tub of Trumpers lasts me over a year. My wife buys $2 cans of Gillette every time we go to the store. Mine smells like herbs and flowers and shit, hers smells like chemicals.

I buy 100 blades for $16, each lasts a week. She buys some three bladed shit that last about two weeks for $4/ea.

True, I have a $100 badger brush, but I bought it ten or twelve years ago, and the $30 razor should last the rest of my life, or until I just buy a straight blade.

Keep telling yourself that you get a good shave with a multi blade razor, the fact is that you'd get an even better shave from a DE razor. AOS is a good start, but try some other products, they're cheaper, higher quality and smell much better. I used AOS lavender stuff for years, but would never go back.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #33
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A $30 tub of Trumpers lasts me over a year. My wife buys $2 cans of Gillette every time we go to the store. Mine smells like herbs and flowers and shit, hers smells like chemicals.

I buy 100 blades for $16, each lasts a week. She buys some three bladed shit that last about two weeks for $4/ea.

True, I have a $100 badger brush, but I bought it ten or twelve years ago, and the $30 razor should last the rest of my life, or until I just buy a straight blade.

Keep telling yourself that you get a good shave with a multi blade razor, the fact is that you'd get an even better shave from a DE razor. AOS is a good start, but try some other products, they're cheaper, higher quality and smell much better. I used AOS lavender stuff for years, but would never go back.
I can usually only go two shaves on a single DE razor, one on each side. More than that and they just start tearing up my face. But yeah, still only $0.08 per shave.

In reality a good brush and quality cream will get you over 90% there. I still use my mach 3 now then when I'm feeling groggy and too lazy in the morning. But I ALWAYS use my badger brush and musgo real cream.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #34
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Guys, I hate to tell you this, buy razor with more than one blade is all Marketing when it comes to a better shave. People have been shaving with straight razors for years decades before Gillette came up with multi-blade razor.

The store goes like this, Gillette was trying to figure out how increase sales, well they could not convince people to shave more or replace their razors more often, and keep in mind Gillette makes money at the time selling blades, and it you were not buying more blades they were not making more money. They the come up with the two-blade razor, so now they sell more blades, well that did not last long so they come up with a 3 blade razor and so until they know have a 5 blade razor and they convince you all that more is better. In reality it is not but they get to charge you more for the 5 blade razor than they could for a 1 blade one and it more than 5x they are charging you too.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #35
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

For me, my hair is too thick to use anything less than a 3 blade

Now, if i was shaving every day, or every other day, then yeah a 2 blade disposable one works
But when it gets thick...even a fresh 2 blade won't give me a good shave, or at least I'll cut myself here and there.

And I don't know how you guys shave in the shower...unless you have a mirror in the shower??
I would destroy my goatee if I didn't have a mirror in front and on the side...

I'm Persian...and I can have a full goatee in about a week... to give you an idea of what happens when I don't shave for 3 or 4 days.

I get my 5 o clock shadow around 12pm when I save at 8 in the morning lol
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #36
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Ever wonder why evolution gave us so much facial hair?
      09-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #37
omgitselainee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E92

No facial hair here but i do ummmm shave
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #38
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

...go to the dollar general and buy a big ass pack for cheap..and use them.

Stop wasting money on bullshit "nice" razors, they all cut and if you cut the right way it wont damage a thing.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #39
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

Use cold water to rinse your blades not warm/hot water, keeps them sharper.
      09-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I bought a "razor saver" thingy several years ago. It's basically a mirror/glass inside a plastic housing. By dragging the blades over the glass AFTER my shave, and then putting the Mach 3 up away from water, I can shave for two weeks without a new blade, dome included. I've switched to HeadSlick for the cream, works so well.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #41
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I always dreaded shaving... And luckily was in a job where I only had to worry about it a couple times a week.

Then I got a new job where I needed to shave every day.

I use the Art of Shaving system (sandalwood)

Definitely shave in the shower (towards the end). This gives your facial hair a bit of time to soften from the steam. Then you apply the pre-shave oil then the cream with a badger brush... Then I shave with a gillette fusion pro-glide.

Once I get out and dry off I apply the art of shaving aftershave balm... Once that all evaporates I apply my traditional facial moisturizer.

Never thought that it was possible to get a shave this close or as comfortable day after day...

+1

Shower

Pre-shave oil

shave cream

Mach 5 hydro

rinse with cool water to close pores

Sandalwood shave balm

Done

Ive been shaving for 20+ years and The Art of Shaving product and this technique is the best shave I've ever had.

They also have treatments for men with ingrow hairs

see http://www.theartofshaving.com/

They even have a book on shaving I bought too

GL
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #42
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitselainee View Post
No facial hair here but i do ummmm shave
God I love your posts!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #43
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

So I abandoned electric shavers years ago for a straight razor but recently bought a Panasonic electric razor for it's trimming capabilities (no-shave november). Apparently you can use this razor wet or dry. So the question is, how do you guys use a wet electric razor? Just water? Soap and water? Shaving cream?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #44
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I only tried it a few times and it did not work for me at all. Now at that time it may have been with a cheapo razor don't remember, but even if I have a little bit of sweat on my face my braun is useless. The dryer the better for me.
Appreciate 0