E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > ATLANTA = Frozen Apocalyptic Wasteland?

01-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #45
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

just stay home......
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #46
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
just stay home......
Not allowed to today. Besides, I'm not an idiot and I know how to drive in it.
      01-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #47
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
just stay home......
but essential personnel gots to get to work...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #48
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Not allowed to today. Besides, I'm not an idiot and I know how to drive in it.
It isn't you, it's the people that are around you that DON'T know how that are a bigger risk.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #49
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
It isn't you, it's the people that are around you that DON'T know how that are a bigger risk.
Very true, which is why I keep my distance

Eyes and ears open, constantly looking around (should be doing that anyway).
      01-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #50
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Very true, which is why I keep my distance
Good, stay safe out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #51
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Pffffttt..., keeping it safe? Lets all be big boys here and go WOT.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #52
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

I like your style better @Billup but we are talking about people that only see snow here once a decade. They most likely already are.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #53
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I like how everyone is blaming the government and weather forecasters, what happen to taking responsibility for yourself and what you do.

With that said, the issue is most cars in the south either do not have all season radials or winter tires, why would you since how often do you get this kind of weather, or they running around with bald tires. Even in the North like Philly we have idiots who make a mess of the road since they refuse to keep good tires on their car. It only takes a few to cause major problems. We have had cars stranded on road for hours at a time due to the face that road crews can not clean the road because idiots made a mess of the road and cause traffic jams.

Next most people in the south have no clue how to drive in bad weather, again I see in up north, as soon as it rains hard or start to snow, people forget how to drive.

For those who said the road turned to a sheet of ice, I believe this and I have seen this and driven on it, it can be done with good tires. What happen is since all the cars are sitting there running their engines it melts the snow under their car and as soon as they move the cool air hits it and it freezes then the idiot behind you hit you since they have no clue it now frozen.

One time I watch cars just slip off the side of the road because the melting and freezing and I just waited as they all slip off the road and let it snow a bit more and then drove off without a problem once all the cars slid off the road.

Last edited by Maestro; 01-30-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #54
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
what happen to taking responsibility for yourself and what you do.
like I said, just stay home...

if you work at a place that gives 4 shits less about your safety and makes you get to work in conditions like these, you may want to find a better job....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #55
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I like how everyone is blaming the government and weather forecasters, what happen to taking responsibility for yourself and what you do.
I'm not blaming them. It's just a fact, they won't waste their budget on snow removal, and I don't blame them. Salt trucks don't do shit when a hard freeze and ice mixed with snow in accumulating amounts comes in. I watched them use that salt/brine mixture on the highway near my house and it didn't do a damn thing. But, it makes sense for them not to spend money on more equipment when they don't need it but once every decade. Some of us don't have the luxury of just "calling in sick" whenever we feel like it, so even if I said I wasn't sure about the roads, chances are my boss would tell me to come in anyway. At no point was I not sure though, and personally I am prepared enough to drive in snow/ice from past experience.

I'm totally with most of you on the idiot drivers though. I witnessed some dumbass in a little Ford Focus this morning try his best to get up the hill leaving my neighborhood. He eventually turned around and went back home after sliding back down a couple of times.

It's really a combination of things down here. Inexperience, plus no/bad equipment, plus generally poor conditions make for a bad result. Up north it's totally different. Experience and good equipment can mitigate a lot of the risk, even though the conditions are usually much worse.

Quote:
like I said, just stay home...

if you work at a place that gives 4 shits less about your safety and makes you get to work in conditions like these, you may want to find a better job....
LOL... Easier said than done.

Like I said, I'm not afraid of a little bit of ice/snow. Didn't you just stay home the other day because of some rain and said you "didn't feel safe?"
      01-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #56
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't you just stay home the other day because of some rain and said you "didn't feel safe?"
of course I did, because City Officials advised the ENTIRE Houston area to stay home...

we stayed home last Friday during the first winter storm we had - it was 28 degrees and rainy, which froze the streets of Houston...

then we stayed home on Tuesday for the same exact reason...

and this is why you saw no stranded, wrecked, stalled or mangled cars on the streets of Houston like you did in Atlanta......

sometimes the best preparation is to JUST STAY HOME
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #57
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
of course I did, because City Officials advised the ENTIRE Houston area to stay home...

we stayed home last Friday during the first winter storm we had - it was 28 degrees and rainy, which froze the streets of Houston...

then we stayed home on Tuesday for the same exact reason...

and this is why you saw no stranded, wrecked, stalled or mangled cars on the streets of Houston like you did in Atlanta......

sometimes the best preparation is to JUST STAY HOME
I didn't see any wrecked cars either. I saw one guy who probably would have wrecked because his car was obviously not equipped, but he gave up and turned around. I don't live in Atlanta, so I personally don't know what the conditions were like there. I can tell you most people there were probably not prepared and probably should have stayed home, but who knows why all of them were on the road.

Lucky for you, your job obviously doesn't need you around.

I am considered mission essential personnel for the hospital I work at, but even I was off yesterday. I feel bad for the folks that had to work their ED shifts yesterday. Today it's not nearly as bad though.
      01-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #58
BabyrayS2k
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Shows how much Southerners know.. winter tires > 4WD in these conditions. 4WD doesn't help you stop.
Man fvck you. You are just mad because your weather sucks and your women are masculine and ugly as hell. Lmao
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #59
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
I'm not blaming them. It's just a fact, they won't waste their budget on snow removal, and I don't blame them. Salt trucks don't do shit when a hard freeze and ice mixed with snow in accumulating amounts comes in. I watched them use that salt/brine mixture on the highway near my house and it didn't do a damn thing. But, it makes sense for them not to spend money on more equipment when they don't need it but once every decade. Some of us don't have the luxury of just "calling in sick" whenever we feel like it, so even if I said I wasn't sure about the roads, chances are my boss would tell me to come in anyway. At no point was I not sure though, and personally I am prepared enough to drive in snow/ice from past experience.

I'm totally with most of you on the idiot drivers though. I witnessed some dumbass in a little Ford Focus this morning try his best to get up the hill leaving my neighborhood. He eventually turned around and went back home after sliding back down a couple of times.

It's really a combination of things down here. Inexperience, plus no/bad equipment, plus generally poor conditions make for a bad result. Up north it's totally different. Experience and good equipment can mitigate a lot of the risk, even though the conditions are usually much worse.

LOL... Easier said than done.

Like I said, I'm not afraid of a little bit of ice/snow. Didn't you just stay home the other day because of some rain and said you "didn't feel safe?"

I will tell you this, when bad weather rolls through here is could be days until they actual clear the roads around my house, we have the same issue local towns do not want to spend money on cleaning the road until it all the weather stops. However, it does not stop me from getting around, it is just common sense, I will admit I been an idiot with my BMW and got caught with my summer performance tire on when the weather got bad, but I never got stuck. I know how to deal with it.

I would not give the north too much credit having all the right equipment, if they choose not to use it. Out town looks at this way, it does not cost them anything if you wreck your car, but if they damn their truck or use tons of salt unnecessarily they can not spend money on their pet projects.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #60
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #61
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
I didn't see any wrecked cars either. I saw one guy who probably would have wrecked because his car was obviously not equipped, but he gave up and turned around. I don't live in Atlanta, so I personally don't know what the conditions were like there. I can tell you most people there were probably not prepared and probably should have stayed home, but who knows why all of them were on the road.

Lucky for you, your job obviously doesn't need you around.

I am considered mission essential personnel for the hospital I work at, but even I was off yesterday. I feel bad for the folks that had to work their ED shifts yesterday. Today it's not nearly as bad though.
I agree most people should have stayed at home, but from what I've heard (my fiance lives in Atl) they didn't start closing things down until after the snow started to fall and/or stick. So people left and were out on the roads unprepared trying to get home and caused all the major roads to be backed up which got worse after the accidents started from all the ice. If the city would have closed schools/businesses down the night before, then most of the chaos could have been controlled.

It wasn't bad here in Dothan, there was ice on the roads. But the local gov't closed all roads in the city and outlying towns to avoid this trouble and told people to stay home. Unfortunately since I work at a nuclear plant, we don't shut it down and most people had to go in to work. We were all advised before that there would be ice on the roads and to go slow. Even after all this I counted 5 accidents on the way to work yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #62
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyrayS2k View Post
Man fvck you. You are just mad because your weather sucks and your women are masculine and ugly as hell. Lmao
You live in Birmingham, Alabama, the 5th worst state in the country.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...ng-102547.html
      01-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #63
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
You live in Birmingham, Alabama, the 5th worst state in the country.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...ng-102547.html
And I live in the worst, what of it? I would live a thousand lives here before moving back up to NY. Trust me, I used to think that it was a shithole here too before I moved. Imagine my surprise to find some of the best-kept secrets in the country, our beautiful southern states.

To address your snow tire comment, yes we would all be in much better shape right now if we all had snow tires. But nobody here is going to buy a set of them if this happens once in a decade. Be reasonable man. Most winters it doesn't even go below freezing but two or three times. If you went to a tire shop asking for snow tires they would look at you like you've lost your mind.

Last edited by PINeely; 01-30-2014 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #64
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I keep people writing "salt trucks" but I hope they're aware that it's just a regular dump truck with a salt spreader attached. The spreaders are $5-10k each and a couple of passes on each stretch of highway prior to the storm would have prevented this entire fuck up. If each depot gets three of them, they can cover a huge portion of the highway in two passes.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #65
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty3bags View Post
I agree most people should have stayed at home, but from what I've heard (my fiance lives in Atl) they didn't start closing things down until after the snow started to fall and/or stick.
piss poor planning by city officials with no safety procedures and little to no common sense......
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #66
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I keep people writing "salt trucks" but I hope they're aware that it's just a regular dump truck with a salt spreader attached. The spreaders are $5-10k each and a couple of passes on each stretch of highway prior to the storm would have prevented this entire fuck up. If each depot gets three of them, they can cover a huge portion of the highway in two passes.
No, it wouldn't have.

When you have an actual accumulation of snow, you need the roads to be cleared in addition to the "salt spreading dump trucks" putting more salt down as the roads are cleared. It's more involved than just spreading a little salt before a storm.

I drove home on Tuesday while it was 68 degrees here and saw the truck spread the stuff on the highway. Most of that road was a sheet of ice this morning.