E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Big brake kit

01-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #23
mashimarho
BMW Genius

Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™

Garage List
+1 to Stoptech from R1 Concepts! Great people and great kit! R1 Concepts has helped me out in many ways!

Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
mashimarho is offline   United_States
      01-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #24
e90pilot
Freight Dawg

Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
The perf BBK is not good, it fades. You can read test articles. I researched it and installed 335 brakes. Just wanted to share info.
Correct. I have the performance BBK. They look great and have good pedal feel but the calipers themselves aren't all that great. Even though they say Brembo, they're not really made by the same division that make the BBKs. They're made by the OE division. The pistons crack easily, the seals melt and they don't dissipate heat well thus overheating the fluid. You can get better pistons and seals but at that point you'll be spending almost as much as a proper BBK from Stop Tech, Brembo or AP Racing.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
e90pilot is offline   United_States
      01-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #25
Smooth 330i
Captain

Drives: Sleepy 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot
Quote:
The perf BBK is not good, it fades. You can read test articles. I researched it and installed 335 brakes. Just wanted to share info.
Correct. I have the performance BBK. They look great and have good pedal feel but the calipers themselves aren't all that great. Even though they say Brembo, they're not really made by the same division that make the BBKs. They're made by the OE division. The pistons crack easily, the seals melt and they don't dissipate heat well thus overheating the fluid. You can get better pistons and seals but at that point you'll be spending almost as much as a proper BBK from Stop Tech, Brembo or AP Racing.
Thank you for confirming this. How long have you had it and what pads are you using? Track/street or combo usage?

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
      01-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #26
Yury
Enlisted Member

Drives: 325i xDrive

Quote:
It maybe fades on the track, not on the street, at least I have no issue with fading, only warping of front rotors. BMW Perf BBK is not for the track from the beginning.
But it is possible to make it good for the track as well. Retrofit caliper pistons to inox steel instead of aluminum ($500), get better rotors ($700) and pads ($150). Even with the additional cost for the retrofit it would be way cheaper than any aftermarket good quality BBK.
      01-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #27
Brettlidsey
Private

Drives: BMW e92 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettlidsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92josh View Post
This. I have a 328i and opted for rotors, pads, lines, fluid and I've seen night and day difference.

Granted, I don't have boost and need more power to stop, but it is assuring knowing it's there if I need it. It's mainly a street car, FYI. The cheapest I found all 4 sides of BBK was something like 6800 dollars. Much rather take that into a project car
The cheapest would be BMW Performance BBK, it cost me $2k complete for the front and rear. For the street driving and ocasional track this is the best choice. And after all it's made by BREMBO.
I have purchased the front BMW performance BBK with with 345 discs

They are second hand but I'm told they will fit,

Do you have a e92 330D?

I'm after the rears do you no the part numbers from BMW?

Cheers Brett.
That's great thanks

Think I'm going to sell the performance brakes as it will cost more to achieve what I would like to achieve

Cheers Brett.
Brettlidsey is offline   United Kingdom
      01-10-2014, 04:18 AM   #28
Yury
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettlidsey View Post
That's great thanks

Think I'm going to sell the performance brakes as it will cost more to achieve what I would like to achieve

Cheers Brett.
Buy some used AP's and you'll be fine.
      01-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #29
Brettlidsey
Private

Quote:
Quote:
That's great thanks

Cheers Brett.
Buy some used AP's and you'll be fine.
I would love to but can never find any

Cheers Brett.
      01-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #30
Yury
Enlisted Member

Quote:
I would love to but can never find any

Cheers Brett.
Indeed
      01-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #31
e90pilot
Freight Dawg

Quote:
Thank you for confirming this. How long have you had it and what pads are you using? Track/street or combo usage?
I'm not sure how long they've been on the car but it's been a while. I've had at least 10 track days with them. I'm using DTC 70 front and stock rear. I've tried racing brake rotors, stock rotors, and stop tech power slot rotors. All setups will start to boil the fluid eventually. The racing brake rotors developed surface cracks they just kept getting worse. Now I'm using E46 M3 ZCP rotors with special caliper brackets brackets to make them fit. I have one track day on that and no cracking but it still fades. The pedal travel is super long at the end of the day. Next track day, I'm going to try DTC 70s in the back as well with a larger diameter rotors. As it sits, I'm using the stock rear rotor which is smaller than what the caliper needs.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
      01-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #32
Yury
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I'm not sure how long they've been on the car but it's been a while. I've had at least 10 track days with them. I'm using DTC 70 front and stock rear. I've tried racing brake rotors, stock rotors, and stop tech power slot rotors. All setups will start to boil the fluid eventually. The racing brake rotors developed surface cracks they just kept getting worse. Now I'm using E46 M3 ZCP rotors with special caliper brackets brackets to make them fit. I have one track day on that and no cracking but it still fades. The pedal travel is super long at the end of the day. Next track day, I'm going to try DTC 70s in the back as well with a larger diameter rotors. As it sits, I'm using the stock rear rotor which is smaller than what the caliper needs.
Ha, you are using Dieselboost brackets from the Russian dude, I know him
He was promoting this solution to me as well, but caliper did not fit with my 17" rims.
Racing Brake rotors you said were cracking, can you give a model? Was it drilled, slotted (open slot or a closed slot), both? I just ordered a set for myself, it should be better than Performance rotors anyways.
      01-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #33
andrey_gta
Colonel

Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
He was promoting this solution to me as well, but caliper did not fit with my 17" rims.
Does Dieselboost + M3 rotors work inside OEM 18" wheels?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is offline   Canada
      01-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #34
Yury
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Does Dieselboost + M3 rotors work inside OEM 18" wheels?
I don't know, FYI we are talking about E46 M3CSL rotors, not E90 M3.
      01-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #35
andrey_gta
Colonel

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
yes, the rotors used with dieselboost bracket & 135i brakes

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
      01-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #36
Patronus86
Banned

Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
So are there any recommendations for rotors then? I've heard the cross-drilled aren't durable, the slotted a bit more durable but still crack faster than stock and have rust issues (stoptech supposedly has a huge rust issue in bad weather), and the RB rotors (which are supposed to combine the advantages of cross-drilled and slotted) still have cracking issues.

What is the optimal rotor for upgrading braking performance? Staying with stock and just upgrading the pads and fluid?
      01-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #37
e90pilot
Freight Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Racing Brake rotors you said were cracking, can you give a model? Was it drilled, slotted (open slot or a closed slot), both? I just ordered a set for myself, it should be better than Performance rotors anyways.
The racing brake rotor I used was the two piece open slot. The performance rotors are soft but they don't crack. They do wear faster than the RB rotors.

The Dieselboost brackets will fit inside the OE Style 161 17" wheel, but by just a few millimeters. I can confirm that.

The stoptech rotors are horrible in sever weather. Very low temps with snow and salt will kill them. California weather is fine.
      01-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #38
andrey_gta
Colonel

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
The Dieselboost brackets will fit inside the OE Style 161 17" wheel, but by just a few millimeters. I can confirm that.
Thank you! I can plan accordingly for OEM wheels and my winter's

05-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #39
SoYank
Major General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:
I get brake fade on the way to work so I'm sure the OEM brakes won't last more than to minutes at ring
I did 20 laps at Nürburgring in 2009 without brake issues using OEM brakes.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
SoYank is offline   United_States
      07-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #40
Brettlidsey
Private

For everyone's information I stuck with the BMW performance BBK and used ATE super blue brake fluid and pagid RS29 pads, I have just got back from the Nurburgring and I have to say the brakes were spot on! Just as good as my brothers ap racing vxr brakes, no fade, no pedal travel nothing, I managed a BTG time of 8.27 around the ring, I did the DN10 Trackday on the Thursday and was doing 3 laps at a time and the brakes were perfect! Definitely made the right choise, who ever said that performance discs warp is obviously on the brakes far to long as I used the brakes hard around ring and they are still like new! Hope this helps everyone out.
      07-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #41
Yury
Enlisted Member

Quote:
For everyone's information I stuck with the BMW performance BBK and used ATE super blue brake fluid and pagid RS29 pads, I have just got back from the Nurburgring and I have to say the brakes were spot on! Just as good as my brothers ap racing vxr brakes, no fade, no pedal travel nothing, I managed a BTG time of 8.27 around the ring, I did the DN10 Trackday on the Thursday and was doing 3 laps at a time and the brakes were perfect! Definitely made the right choise, who ever said that performance discs warp is obviously on the brakes far to long as I used the brakes hard around ring and they are still like new! Hope this helps everyone out.
Good to hear that everything worked out for you finally.
      07-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #42
Seattlesquash
Seattle Car freak

Drives: E92 328i 2007

Garage List
2007 B7 RS4  [0.00]
2007 E92 328i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet
go to www.realoem.com

great resource and will pretty much answer your question.

with my 328i, 335i brakes bolted(pretty much, minus rear parking brake guts and a little dust shield tweaking) on without any issues.

actually, just took a peek... looks like they use the same brakes.
I suggest the Tisher oem bmw Brembo 338/324 BBK KIT with cross drilled rotors. Add High performance fluid and the ECS red SBL a la Jason and you will once again be safe! And they look good! If you have to do the rears, parking brake mode is cake anyways, so no worry there!
Seattlesquash is offline   United_States
      07-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #43
Seattlesquash
Seattle Car freak

Drives: E92 328i 2007

Garage List
2007 B7 RS4  [0.00]
2007 E92 328i  [3.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Good to hear that everything worked out for you finally.
Crap, missed this. CONGRATS ON YOUR CHOICE... Surely you like it!
Seattlesquash is offline   United_States
      07-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #44
3002 tii
Major General

Drives: flat out

Garage List
I'm quite happy with my Stoptech ST40 kit and I'm sure they have something for your model.

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States