E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Multiple cylinder misfires after oil change

12-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
HMG_E93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 328i Convertible

Multiple cylinder misfires after oil change

I was due for an oil change so I finally got around to it this past Saturday. Followed the DIY by the book except I went with 7 qts of Royal Purple 5w-30. Almost immediately after I started the car the engine started shaking really bad. After about 15 secs of this the RPM blipped to about 1100 rpm and the shaking stopped. I reset the oil service counter and turned off the car. Started it again and the shaking came back and this time the CEL came on. I ran the codes and got P0300, P0301, P0304, P0305, P0306, and P00BC.

I tried swapping the plugs and coil on cylinder 1 with 2. It made no difference but it was getting late so I left it at that and would deal with it tomorrow. I cleared the CEL before I stopped. Next morning my brother needed to change his oil too and needed my car out of the garage. I went to drive it out and miraculously the shaking was gone. Restarted a few times but shaking never came back and no CEL.

Drove about 40 miles this morning with 50/50 highway/city and it drove just fine. Actually noticed 1-2 extra mpg and much cooler oil temp too. I'm just scratching my head wondering what the heck happened.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMG_E93 View Post
I was due for an oil change so I finally got around to it this past Saturday. Followed the DIY by the book except I went with 7 qts of Royal Purple 5w-30. Almost immediately after I started the car the engine started shaking really bad. After about 15 secs of this the RPM blipped to about 1100 rpm and the shaking stopped. I reset the oil service counter and turned off the car. Started it again and the shaking came back and this time the CEL came on. I ran the codes and got P0300, P0301, P0304, P0305, P0306, and P00BC.

I tried swapping the plugs and coil on cylinder 1 with 2. It made no difference but it was getting late so I left it at that and would deal with it tomorrow. I cleared the CEL before I stopped. Next morning my brother needed to change his oil too and needed my car out of the garage. I went to drive it out and miraculously the shaking was gone. Restarted a few times but shaking never came back and no CEL.

Drove about 40 miles this morning with 50/50 highway/city and it drove just fine. Actually noticed 1-2 extra mpg and much cooler oil temp too. I'm just scratching my head wondering what the heck happened.
Ahh you forgot to drain the old oil when you put the new one in!
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0