E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Lost Gospel of Judas

04-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

The Lost Gospel of Judas

I don't consider myself overly religious. More often than not, I prefer to look at science and truth rather than religion. But I still find the study of religion extremely interesting. I haven't read the DaVinci Code yet, but I love a great conspiracy theory.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this documentary on the National Geograhic Channel on Sunday. Some people dismiss all apocryphal books as fiction, but I'm open minded and willing to take all things into consideration.

Revelation says during end times, Rome will be destroyed. I just have to wonder to myself, could this mean the Church of Rome will be destroyed? Not by bombs or fire, but by information. Could new documents and writings come out to discredit the Church and actually destroy it?

From what I've read, prophecy says there will only be one more Pope.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
dom1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I am looking forward to the National Geographic documentary as well. Don't agree with your comments since even what is written in the Bible cannot be verified of it's validity. It's only a document that has been translated many times and the church goes by it. I am sure it will be a very interesting manuscript from very interesting times. BTW, I read the DaVinci Code and didn't think it was as good as his first book in the series Angels and Demons.
1994 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl. - retired after 170K miles
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Just FYI, they already had a program about this on the History channel from a long time ago. It went into great detail regarding this topic. They said the text could be interpreted in a few different ways. One is that Jesus foreseen Judas' betrayal and confronted him about it. However, they discovered other parts of the text that suggests that perhaps he chose Judas as the one to hand him over as he's the most trusted. There were many other interesting facts that History Channel program discussed. You should definitely watch that one too if this topic interests you.

Found a tape of that progam
      04-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Cool, thanks guys. This particular gospel of Judas has been out for a while now, at least since the 1970s because I've got a book "The Apocryphal New Testament" edited by JK Elliot, and the Judas Gospel was in that.

I'm still wondering what this documentary is going to be about because there have been lots of "lost" scriptures, like the Gospel of Thomas and Mary Magdalene, which were found in the 1940s as the "dead sea scrolls".

I'm not saying anything in the bible (or out) can be proven. I don't know, maybe I've just been watching too many movies. The threat of the destruction of the church was the storyline for the movie "Stigmata" in which a fictional "Gospel of Jesus" was found and challenged the common teachings of the catholic church for the last 2000 years.

That's just my nature, though. I don't take anything at face value. I like to learn as much as I can about a particular topic and then make a decision for myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Rofl @ the Da Vinci Code. The Roman Catholic church is the Devil. There I said it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Rofl @ the Da Vinci Code. The Roman Catholic church is the Devil. There I said it.
Why? Did they bitch at you over the phone for calling to ask them to squeeze your oranges again?
      04-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Why? Did they bitch at you over the phone for calling to ask them to squeeze your oranges again?
Yeah, and they don't pay me enough for my time. Benedict owes me big time when I covered for him at the karaoke with Stevie Wonder.

That and less importantly, the Catholic church is the Whore of Babylon.

Note: I know that claim can be easily refuted, but I don't care.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
That and less importantly, the Catholic church is the Whore of Babylon.
Babylon the show?
      04-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Babylon the show?
Is that a serious question?
Appreciate 0