E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Front windows tint fix it ticket (35%, East bay)

10-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Unhappy Front windows tint fix it ticket (35%, East bay)

I got pulled over this morning for a carpool violation (got caught in the carpool lane when entering the highway for a brief moment). I go through that entry ramp everyday on my way to work and i am never in the carpool lane, and I don't see an officer there either but today i got caught in it cause of traffic and get pulled over.. just my luck.

Anyway, he cut me some slack and gave me a fix it ticket for my tints and no carpool violation. I am thinking I'll just pay the fine for it if it isn't too expensive so I have a couple questions.

1. Does anyone know what the fine is for front window tints in the East bay?
2. What if I get pulled over for tints again?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi View Post
I got pulled over this morning for a carpool violation (got caught in the carpool lane when entering the highway for a brief moment). I go through that entry ramp everyday on my way to work and i am never in the carpool lane, and I don't see an officer there either but today i got caught in it cause of traffic and get pulled over.. just my luck.

Anyway, he cut me some slack and gave me a fix it ticket for my tints and no carpool violation. I am thinking I'll just pay the fine for it if it isn't too expensive so I have a couple questions.

1. Does anyone know what the fine is for front window tints in the East bay?
2. What if I get pulled over for tints again?
I think its like $150 or something around there. If you get pulled over for tints again, then you have to pay the fine again. If you fix it, then it's like $25 I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Cheeese
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Space Grey

I just got mine recently, it was $200. If you get pulled over again, I was told it would just another fix it ticket. It really depend on the officer. I was told when I got mine signed off that cops would not pull you over for tinted windows unless you are like speeding/carpool. If you do get pulled over for speeding or something next time, I was told to roll down both windows before the officer comes and give you the ticket .
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yea, it didn't work, i had my windows rolled down before the cop got there but he'd seen the them already... damn.. $200 for keeping the tints on.. man this sucks big time, i had them installed for $250
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Cheeese
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Space Grey

Sorry to hear he saw it Its cheaper than a carpool ticket, you can think of it that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
its much cheaper than the carpool ticket ($400-600 i think).. thank god for that, the cop was nice and he let me off big time..

i love the symmetry of the tint throughout the car and love the way it looks like now. I hate the look of the no tint front windows and dark rear windows.. also, no one uses the back so its a total waste having tint only in the back. I have a hard time understanding the tint laws
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
austinjsb8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I got one in Contra Costa. I think it was about $125. Second one was around $200... roll them windows down fast!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

Why not get it the front fixed then get it re-tinted after inspection...should be less than the ticket itself to go that route.
      10-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
fdawg4l
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

I don't understand tinting

I don't mean to thread-jack, but why bother with tinting at all? I can see one reason being the effect of UV on the leather interior, but indoor parking and/or a sunshade tend to work well enough coupled with some leather treatment twice a year.

Other than that, you can buy a nice pair of Ray-Bans for much less than a tint job. But, I might not be the target demographic.

So, what's the point? In my experience, the correlation of jackasses driving dangerously and jackasses driving dangerously who have tinted windows is pretty high. Anonymity does strange things to people's driving behavior.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Pizdets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Alpine White

Dude just go around to different stations, preferably ones in not such good areas and show them the ticket, cops in those areas could care less about fix it tickets. I have all around tint, windshield included and had this work every time, even if they ask you to bring the car around for inspection just tell them you'll Come back later for whatever reason and try another station, 2 hours of your time tops and it'll save you the money. If you get pulled over again it's another fix it ticket, you can get 3, on the 4th it's not a fix it but just the fine (150). I go to the tenderloin in SF, those cops don't even know where to sign a fix it because they never give them out, too much violent crime for that petty stuff.
      10-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdawg4l View Post
I don't mean to thread-jack, but why bother with tinting at all? I can see one reason being the effect of UV on the leather interior, but indoor parking and/or a sunshade tend to work well enough coupled with some leather treatment twice a year.

Other than that, you can buy a nice pair of Ray-Bans for much less than a tint job. But, I might not be the target demographic.

So, what's the point? In my experience, the correlation of jackasses driving dangerously and jackasses driving dangerously who have tinted windows is pretty high. Anonymity does strange things to people's driving behavior.
Everyone has their own reasons and tastes. I have mine tinted and im not a jackass who drives dangerously. I think tinting the car makes the car more even? aggressive? Idk. I like the way it looks and I like it when ppl cant see into my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
Why not get it the front fixed then get it re-tinted after inspection...should be less than the ticket itself to go that route.
+1 ask the shop you got it tinted at and see if they'll discount you for retint
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks for the advice guys.. I think I'll go the re-tinting route.. dont think i would be able to pull off the violent county police station trick, I am kinda paranoid when it comes to cheating the police (but I love my tint and I will keep it)

Fdawg4l - I love my tint because it definitely makes the car look much better, it does not affect how I drive at all. Also, its not just a shade against the sun for the eyes, the sun doesn't burn your hands and face as much when it comes through the windows.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Correlation does not imply causation. That is all.
      11-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
got my second ticket for the week this time its a no front plate ticket when street parked
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:

I would say the main reason most people tint is looks.

Heat rejection and UV protection would be a close second. Tint actually does significantly help with blocking out heat and UV from the sun. You'll notice more cars in hotter climates tend to be tinted, and tinted darker (not just modders/tuners, but everyone).

After that is privacy/security. People don't need to be able to see everything inside my car at a quick glance.

Tint also provides some safety and protection, but thats more of a side benefit than a main reason people get tinted. Tint will help hold the glass together should it shatter for whatever reason. It will also make it harder to break in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
etc335i
Trainee
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: BUS PASS

Just don't forget about it. I did and now I owe 879 for it. Hopefully the judge gives me a break
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

In the future get a note from your optometrist/dermatologist stating you have sensitive eyes/skin. Show the note to the officer and youll be ok. BUT they can still sight you for a ticket if pulled over at night time, just make sure the front windows are rolled down lol.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
Fitz335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Estoril Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
These tickets don't get reported right? So if I just pay the fine(Bail Forfeiture) the state gets its money and the ticket goes away?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #20
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz335 View Post
These tickets don't get reported right? So if I just pay the fine(Bail Forfeiture) the state gets its money and the ticket goes away?
yup, tint tickets dont count towards your driving record. It's like getting a modified exhaust ticket.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #21
jorector
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********ion27 View Post
if you were in san diego i could get it signed off for you, bottom line just find a cop that will sign it off...its only 35% thats nearly see through, if you get pulled over again for it its just another fix it, and about rolling down windows....your windows must be down already...if the cop sees you with your windows up at ANY point its your ass...if he pulls you over for speeding/carpool etc..and asks you to roll up your windows if they were already down when you entered the freeway say no...they're "broken" or "cant be rolled up" he cant make you roll them up....just make sure you know for a fact there was no possible way he saw you with them up...good luck
I know this post is old but...trying to get my ticket signed off without removing the tint...when you say you can get it signed off...is this still possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #22
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Fix-it tickets are $25 (adminstrative processing fee).

If the officer finds out that it was a second offense, it may be $195.

At least the officer was nice and gave you a fix-it ticket for tints. You would of paid like $400+ for carpool?
Appreciate 0