E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Navigation Retrofit!

01-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #353
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

If anyone is considering this, there looks to be a deal on this auction:
(I didn't verify part numbers, but its the whole deal...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-0...fAudioQ5fVideo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #354
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
If anyone is considering this, there looks to be a deal on this auction:
(I didn't verify part numbers, but its the whole deal...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-0...fAudioQ5fVideo
Hmm...since I last looked at this 15 hours ago, the price went up $400..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #355
lesliew
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i Sports+Premium

Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. Inspired by booster and everyone else that has tried, I'm planning on doing the idrive retrofit.

I recently purchased a used 07, E92 which is still under warranty. I have also purchased a LCI idrive NAV from Germany and the CCC was coded on the bench with my VIN before they sent it over. At the same time I requested it to be coded for a USB/Ipod Interface, as I figure I would try to add this next. I havn't tried to install any of the components yet as I still need to purchase a new dash.

A couple of questions to start off with.

Should I wait for the warranty to expire before doing this upgrade, or should I do the upgrade and claim ignorance (i.e just say thats how I brought the car) when I take it in for its final warranty service. Does it matter ?

Can I request that the vehicles software is brought upto date as part of a warranty service ?.

My car is currently not equipped with the Logic 7 amp, but I read that all idrive cars have logic 7. Is this going to be a big issue ?.

Finally "My car doesn't understand Me", I know this sounds strange let me explain.

I have the voice control option and I'm not sure whether it is because I have an English accent and I'm driving a US spec car that I can't currently get it to understand any of my voice commands. Will the BMW service center be able to enable British voice control. If not then I don't even need to bother trying to obtain the FSC codes for voice control when the idrive is installed. On the other hand this could be a really good reason to get them to change my VO.

Leslie
      01-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #356
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmmm....well you have some things to be aware of..

1) You may have real problems getting a CCC from Germany to work correctly. Their units might be different, but their part numbers certainly are. I could not get a ECE CCC to work right - only to about 90% functionality, plus Progman refused to program it based on part number. Coding it is not an issue, just programming it / the car around it.

2) Depending on the build date of your 2007 car, you may have problems getting the buttons on the front of the CCC to work, since its from the newer style CCC from the LCI car. I would imagine its possible, but no one has spoken up yet stating that it does work (I was told that it does not, but don't know for sure.)

3) This should not really affect your warranty as it relates to the items you don't touch. Since you've got to get into the wiring harness, don't expect BMW to be kind if you have ANY type of electrical problems. And if your radio, telematics, dash, climate control, DSC, or related systems start malfunctioning, don't count on a warranty to be there for you. Ignorance won't help - that's not how they built it so they will charge you to fix it or bring it back to the way they built it. I wouldn't be surprised if they read these forums just to check our "ignorance." This is your car. I did it while it was still under warranty, fully aware of the ramifications. Luckily, I had none. And when it was done (and done right), other warrantable items got taken car of. I never asked them to address anything unethical.

4) Software will not be brought "up to date" as part of warranty unless you have specific identified issues that can be fixed with an update. Search the forums here and they will tell you these issues and you can see if you have one. Keep in mind that if you use that German CCC, and if you have the same problems I did, they may not be able to bring your software up to date.

5) Not having Logic 7 is not an issue - All i-drive cars in the US have Logic 7 but that is not necessarily the case elsewhere..

Make sure that you actually have voice control - some cars can talk and recognize basic voice commands, but that is not the more sophisticated voice control system that does more. If you don't have voice control, then I guess getting the FSC is a moot point. I don't have knowledge on the different dialects available for voice control.

I'm not sure I understand your logic in changing VO - it will need to be changed to reflect the CCC/nav system add, but if you have voice control, it will already have it in your VO. If you don't have voice control and want it, you will need to make sure your car is wired for it, the VO changed, and will need the FSC. Don't count on your dealer understanding or cooperating with any of this - I spoke with 3 dealers that all told me to buy another car and that it couldn't/shouldn't be done. I spoke with several shop foreman & relatively sharp technicians who didn't know about changing VO - they knew what it was but didn't know the nuts & bolts of getting in there and making changes. (and when they did, they certainly weren't going to get involved changing things while working as an agent of the dealership they were working for.)

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but this is a big project (and a big headache if you are not prepared with the knowledge.)

BTW - changing the dash is the easiest part.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #357
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

LCI iDrive = CIC, not CCC

Please clarify...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #358
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
LCI iDrive = CIC, not CCC

Please clarify...
If I'm not mistaken - aren't there a few LCI cars out there with a CCC also?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #359
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken - aren't there a few LCI cars out there with a CCC also?
Only Business Nav, which is not applicable for the US...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #360
lesliew
Private
Rep

Yes I know there may be issues with a European spec CCC, I have read through your posts and know the trouble that you went through. The person who programmed the CCC told me that it was the CCC that needed to be programmed with the equivalent of a US BIOS and this could be done without the car. I did read on this forum elsewhere that once the CCC is plugged in, it learns the cars other systems from the VO. I do plan to do a dry installation next week, time permitting, so I'll let you know how this goes.

I wasn't aware of there being different levels of voice control which probably means I just have the basic. Is there an easy way to tell which one I have ?, as I mentioned before it doesn't appear to recognise my British accent as is, so I don't have much to lose in this regard.

I had concluded that if I could get the voice control working it would require a new VO with British software loaded but I could be wrong. Are there any Spanish speaking BMW's in the US or are they all American English ?

I assumed it was the LCI iDrive because of the buttons and the fact that it came out of a 2008 E92 335i

It is unfortunate that the hardest part of the project is getting the BMW Techs co-operation.

Last edited by lesliew; 01-11-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #361
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliew View Post
Yes I know there may be issues with a European spec CCC, I have read through your posts and know the trouble that you went through. The person who programmed the CCC told me that it was the CCC that needed to be programmed with the equivalent of a US BIOS and this could be done without the car. I did read on this forum elsewhere that once the CCC is plugged in, it learns the cars other systems from the VO. I do plan to do a dry installation next week, time permitting, so I'll let you know how this goes.

I wasn't aware of there being different levels of voice control which probably means I just have the basic. Is there an easy way to tell which one I have ?, as I mentioned before it doesn't appear to recognise my British accent as is, so I don't have much to lose in this regard.
I have heard that it IS possible to re-program units and fool them into thinking they are a different part number - so its possible that you are getting that with the "US BIOS" as you state. I'm not sure on the CCC's, but I realized that the front buttons are different on ECE to US CIC's - this may not be an issue for you.

You can get a printout of your VIN and what it comes with stock from the dealer or others in the know....if you have voice control you will have option # 620.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #362
lesliew
Private
Rep

Booster

May I ask where you purchased the 12-pin connector that you used to make the wiring harness for the back of the CID. Looks like I will need to rig one of these up also. Do you have a part number ?.

I take it you never found this cable in the dash after all of your searching.

Apart from the dash I believe I have everything else.

Last edited by lesliew; 01-18-2010 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #363
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliew View Post
Booster

May I ask where you purchased the 12-pin connector that you used to make the wiring harness for the back of the CID. Looks like I will need to rig one of these up also. Do you have a part number ?.

I take it you never found this cable in the dash after all of your searching.

Apart from the dash I believe I have everything else.
That 12-pin connector was NOT located/laying inside the dash as I had hoped. I had a spare harness here that I chopped it out of. In looking at the parts diagrams, I think its: 61 13 1 383 736 ..I have another out in the garage and it has Tyco and BMW part numbers on it, but neither match the listings (this isn't the first time I have seen this.) You may need to order the innards also. See this link...

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...ot_waterproof/

I believe its #9, labeled as "12 pol" (12 pin) - let me know if you get the correct parts and their part numbers...I will add it to the retrofit PDF.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #364
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
That 12-pin connector was NOT located/laying inside the dash as I had hoped. You may need to order the innards also. See this link...

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...ot_waterproof/

I believe its #9, labeled as "12 pol" (12 pin) - let me know if you get the correct parts and their part numbers...I will add it to the retrofit PDF.
Thanks

That helps a lot, parts should be in by Friday.

Last edited by lesliew; 01-20-2010 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Parts update
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #365
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
You can get a printout of your VIN and what it comes with stock from the dealer or others in the know....if you have voice control you will have option # 620.

Someone on bimmerfest ran my VIN and it appears that I don't have the full voice control. Is SA 620 something that just needs to be activated with an FSC or is there extra hardware involved.

I'm still trying to piece all of these things together.
      01-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #366
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah - voice control can be added...and yes, you will need the FSC. As for hardware, I'm not sure if its integral to the CCC or TCU? (I'm getting older and suffering from C.R.S.)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #367
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah - voice control can be added...and yes, you will need the FSC. As for hardware, I'm not sure if its integral to the CCC or TCU? (I'm getting older and suffering from C.R.S.)
It is in the CCC...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #368
tay
Rep
Drives: many

When did the LCI E92 model begin?
I have fitted the nav in my 2007 E92 and all working fine
But still having problems installing in my E90 saloon, the i drive still not working, checked all wires etc, and changed units to my e92 to check that they are working 100% and they all seem fine.
Any ideas where i am going wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #369
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay View Post
When did the LCI E92 model begin?
I have fitted the nav in my 2007 E92 and all working fine
But still having problems installing in my E90 saloon, the i drive still not working, checked all wires etc, and changed units to my e92 to check that they are working 100% and they all seem fine.
Any ideas where i am going wrong?
We need more info - (like what's not working, whats working - symptoms)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #370
mikko-msport
England
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Your opinions please!!

Well, first of all congrats to all who contributed to this post - it has given me the confidence to have a go at a nav retrofit myself! Anyway, I would value your opinion on the hardware and its suitability to my 2007 320d e90 m sport. So far I have managed to aquire a double scoop dash (£150), CCC (£160), controller (£60), CID (£120) and sharkfin (£40). I bought the car as an insurance write-off and it the passenger airbag has deployed, hence the thinking why not get a double scoop dash and fit nav while I am on. All the above hardware is from a 2008 e90 UK car.

Opinions welcome!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #371
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds like you are on the right track and that you got all the parts for cheap! ...and since you're replacing the dash...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #372
mikko-msport
England
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Cables

OK then, I may aswell order the LVDS cable and start looking around the breakers for the other cables I need.
Wish me luck!! (car is still in bodyshop so I can't see me starting this for a couple of weeks).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #373
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
That 12-pin connector was NOT located/laying inside the dash as I had hoped.
You know, if you look at the parts list for the i-drive retrofit and also the instructions for connecting the CID, the CID power harness isn't mentioned at all. It really does lead you to believe that it is lurking in the car somewhere.

I got around to making up a DIY harness and connected it back to x14272 of the (JBE) as suggested in your retrofit guide but I don't get anything on the display rechecked my wiring again and again. Which means I still can't tell whether this european CCC was coded correctly for the US car.

Ordered my new dash from tischer, once that arrives I will be at it again with new vigor.

On another note, whilst waiting for my dash I did manage to install the components necessary for an USB/iPOD retrofit which if needed I plan to get coded by autologic.
Attached Images

Last edited by lesliew; 02-03-2010 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #374
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmm...my suggestions would be :

1) Make sure all fuses are installed for CID (I don't have the list in front of me, but there are a few that can keep it from working) You may need a fuse installed in the JBE that you don't currently have in there...

2) Make sure that the harness is properly connected to the CAN bus - if its not, the CID will not turn on

3) Make sure there is no break in the CAN bus in the line to the CID - again, this can keep the CID from turning on

4) Make sure all fuses are SEATED! (back to basics!) - this stumped me for hours when my controller all of a sudden stopped working. Go figure. Push all the fuses in and check them all with a test light.

The coding shouldn't affect it - it should all turn on, but maybe not work perfectly. I tested a ECE CCC and CID and it turned on just fine for me in my US car.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0