E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Removing hood & trunk roundels?

06-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
ghst
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Removing hood & trunk roundels?

I know this is probably as basic as it gets, but I'm having issues removing my e92 hood roundel. Every video tutorial on youtube I've seen shows that you can simply slide something under the badge to pry it off, but mine is so snug in the hood that I can't even get a credit card underneath it.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it possible the emblem was replaced prior to my ownership and stuck on with 3m tape?

Thanks for any insight.

I have a set of JBSpeed carbon fiber emblems that I really want to install, but this roadblock has made it difficult.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
RLe92335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i AWD

Garage List
2010 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Have you tried heating up with a heat gun or blow dryer? That made a big difference for me when I removed my badges. The heat melts the adhesive.

If you haven’t, give that a try. Not super close and not super hot. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
ghst8.50
      06-05-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
ghst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLe92335 View Post
Have you tried heating up with a heat gun or blow dryer? That made a big difference for me when I removed my badges. The heat melts the adhesive.

If you haven’t, give that a try. Not super close and not super hot. Good luck.
So does that mean the hood one has tape attached to it as well as the pegs? If it is taped on, that would make more sense, but I've always thought the hood emblem was just clipped in?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghst View Post
So does that mean the hood one has tape attached to it as well as the pegs? If it is taped on, that would make more sense, but I've always thought the hood emblem was just clipped in?
Unless yours have been replaced before, OEM ones just have pegs that slip onto the hood. Have you tried dental floss? Slip it behind and you will know immediately if you are dealing with glue/tape or not. You can use the floss to lift it enough to then pry it off.
Appreciate 2
ghst8.50
      06-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
ghst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
Unless yours have been replaced before, OEM ones just have pegs that slip onto the hood. Have you tried dental floss? Slip it behind and you will know immediately if you are dealing with glue/tape or not. You can use the floss to lift it enough to then pry it off.
I got it!

Ended up using fishing line, a screwdriver, and a credit card. The stock emblem had zero give or play, so I had to be forceful to pry the emblem up a few millimeters so I could slide the fishing line under the emblem.

Installed new grommets and the emblem without a problem.
Appreciate 1