E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DYNO Results...testing a fuel additive!

06-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

DYNO Results...testing a fuel additive!

I was introduced to a fuel additive a few weeks ago that claimed better gas mileage AND better performance,
as well as a cleaner burning car, a lubricant for longer engine life, and other stuff.
I was skeptical of it doing ALL that stuff, especially increasing power, as most fuel additives do squat in that regard.
And the ones that do (like Torco or Toulene) cost like $15 per tankful treatment.
This stuff costs under $4 per tankful treatment.

After testing it's results in my wife's Prius and getting about 5 mpg improvement in gas mileage (no kidding)
I thought, ok, time to test it's performance claims.
I went to the dyno two Mondays ago with my car on 91 Octane and JB3 Map 4.
I showed up at the dyno with Mote, T, and the friend who introduced me to the stuff, and who I was willing to dyno test it for.

We dynoed my car and got it's results.
Temps that day were in the 60-62 degrees, it was cloudy and humidity was around 80% according to weather.com

I added this fuel additive called Syntek in my car immediately afterward and filled up my tank. I spent one week driving the car
to allow the Syntek to do some of it's work. I used up that tank and filled up again, added the Syntek and drove another day or so
bringing my tank back to 3/4 tank (where it was when I dynoed the prior week).
In both tankfuls I used Union 76 gas from the same station.
One week later with the Syntek in the tank I returned to the dyno (with T again helping out) to see if any gains were to be had
by using this Syntek. Temps were almost exactly the same, about 60-62 degrees, cloudy out and this time about 65% humidity.

Well, hot damn, I was shocked.
The car picked up about 6-8 peak rwhp and 7-9 peak rwtq. But that was only part of the story. There were gains pretty much throughout
the power band. Picking up as much as 17.8 rwhp AND 18 rwtq.

**Note, on the red run with Syntek, there was some dyno adaptation going on, as that was the first pull that morning. T mentioned this
might be the case beforehand. I (and anyone else who has dynoed the tuned N54 engine) have experienced this in the past, it in fact
does usually take at least one pull for the ECU to adjust to dyno runs. The result is often a not so smooth dyno on the first pull.
That happened here and power was pulled in the 5200-5800 rpm range. But regardless, it still made more power throughout the rev range
with the exception of that area where the car's ECU pulled power while it was adapting. But by the next pulls it had smoothed out a more
and you can see that it made more power pretty much everywhere with the Syntek in.

**Another note: Syntek states to use the product in 3 full tankfuls to realize it's full benefit. I got these power gains with using just
1 tankful of the stuff. I wouldn't expect it to gain anymore, but who knows, with more time to clean and do it's stuff, more gains might
be likely as well.

I tried the stuff since it has a 30 day 100% money back guarantee. But I'll surely be using it from now on.
I'd love to see others try it and do some dyno and VBox testing themselves.
The stuff is unbelievably cheap for what it does. It costs about about $3.75-$4 per tankful treatment (and it will shock you that a treatment
is about equal to one tablespoon of the stuff). But for that you get sizeable power
gains, equal to what you'd get if you added about 1.5+ gallons of 100 Octane to each tankful (and that costs $10-12) and you have to
drive to a station to get it. On top of that, it really does give you better gas mileage too (at least in a car that you don't drive as hard
as we drive our tuned 335i's

If you want to give the stuff a try, go to my buddies new website:
www.syntekadvantage.com

Here's the dyno results:
Attached Images

Last edited by Driver72; 08-17-2009 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

wow, that is really interesting, i never gave any of that stuff the slightest thought before because i just figured it was complete bs but i'll definitely give this a try, thanks for the write up!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Thanks driver72 - I will give it a try

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh and for you 93 Octane guys, the Syntek does even better!

Here's a before and after with Syntek on 93 octane.

Note: The before was done on JB3 v1.22 on Map 6 with 93-94 Octane
The after with Syntek was on JB3 1.3 on Map 6 with 92.5-93 Octane.

v1.22 actually has more power in the top end (above 6000 rpms) than 1.3
and 1.3 actually has a bit more power below 5200 rpms than v1.22

However, you'll notice with Syntek and even lower octane, the v1.3 dyno made equal power on the top end as v1.22 alone with a bit higher octane.
And below 5200 rpms, where 1.3 is usually about 8-10 rwhp stronger, it's now MUCH, MUCH stronger with the Syntek in.

**The second dyno is a dyno of v1.22 vs v1.3 both on 91 Octane and Map 4 to show that in fact as stated above, v1.22 is stronger on the top end than 1.3 and that 1.3 only makes about 8-10 rwhp more below 5200 rpms than 1.22
This goes to show what a difference was made when Syntek was added, even with lower octane gas.
This crap really does seem to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Um, to truly confirm that small of a variance you would need at least 10-20 runs before and after averaged out and compared, 5-10hp gain is way to small of a variance. You could easily see that going back a week later with or without the additive.
      06-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Um, to truly confirm that small of a variance you would need at least 10-20 runs before and after averaged out and compared, 5-10hp gain is way to small of a variance. You could easily see that going back a week later with or without the additive.
We did do many many runs.
And to answer your other doubts:
I have dynoed my car on this same dyno countless times (probably 40-50 times). The variances in those runs are nil.
Meaning, I have dynoed Map 6 on 91 Octane there, probably a total of 10 runs with the various JB3 1.0, JB3 1.22, JB3 1.3
My dynos have ALL been in the 337-343 rwhp range.
And most being 339-340 rwhp.
Many of those variance are also map related.
When I've done 4-5 pulls on the same map even on different days, it's almost always within 2-3 rwhp of each other and the graphs pretty much overlay.

If you have any dyno experience at all, you'd know, you don't get 18 rwhp variance at 2500 rpms, 17 rwhp at 3500 rpms, 17 rwhp at 6100 rpms from one week to the next with identical conditions on the same map on the same octane. That does NOT happen.

The only variable here was the addition of the Syntek.

Never before have I ever gotten 361 rwhp on ANY of the tunes I've had on this dyno. I've dynoed every version of the PROcede, and every version of the JB3 here. I've dynoed with up to 94 octane as well.
The highest I've ever gotten before is the 351 rwhp dyno you see above.

And surely, I've NEVER seen a JB3 1.3 (or any other of my tunes) do 395 rwhp on a dynojet with 92.5-93 Octane on Map 6 before.
Map 6 is a pump 93 Octane map.
The most I've seen before, is again, the 385 rwhp you see in the dyno above.

I've done plenty of prior dyno tests to know what my car's power makes before trying this stuff. We did multiple runs that before and after day too.
Everyone of the after runs showed increase in power.

FYI, we did it on Map 2 as well.
Prior to the additive, on 91 Octane, best we got was 317 rwhp.
After just one tankful of Syntek, we got 326 rwhp. And there wasn't one single post Syntek run that was less than 317 rwhp. Prior to Syntek that was the BEST run, after Syntek, even the lowest Syntek run was like 322 rwhp.

Too put it into another light, you don't see these kind of gains often when adding an aftermarket exhaust, or a DCI.
If an exhaust gained 8 rwhp peak and 18 rwhp in several areas of the powerband, you'd probably call it a huge success and pay $1500 for it.
For that, you could use Syntek in 400 tankfuls. If you got even 275 miles per tankful, you could drive the car 110,000 miles before you'd pay as much in Syntek as it cost to put on that exhaust that probably won't give you as much power anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
supracg
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Wow definately doesn't seem like a coincidence, thanks for the write up
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

I went on the site to request more info.There is no where i saw a price for it.This sounds like the real deal to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #9
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

it says $32 for 2 oz bottle and 1/4 oz is for upto 20 gallons so $4 per tank and is good for 8 fill up...

however by looking at their sales tactic, it's more like pyramid... typical...

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan335i View Post
I went on the site to request more info.There is no where i saw a price for it.This sounds like the real deal to me.
Right on the front page on the left had side you'll see "Money Back Guarantee" then a link that say's "buy now"

Click that on and you'll have a choice of buying individual "foil" packets
$19.95 for 5 is the smallest amount
Or you can buy it buy the bottle.

I tried the foil packs first. If you like it and it works for you, and have multiple cars, like I do, you can have more "autoshipped" to your door each month in the packets or bottles, depending on how much you use.
They give you a discount if you sign up for "autoship" and have them automatically shipped to you each month.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #12
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hun77777 View Post
it says $32 for 2 oz bottle and 1/4 oz is for upto 20 gallons so $4 per tank and is good for 8 fill up...

however by looking at their sales tactic, it's more like pyramid... typical...
I don't care if they do have a network marketing approach personally.
I tried the crap and tested it and it worked.

However they want to sell the stuff is their business, but for $4 or less a tankful to get the power gains I got in my car and the 5 mpg gains I saw in my wife's car, I'll order the stuff. Plus since it's registered with the EPA (they list the register number on there somewhere I saw it) and they state it meets all federal guidelines, it ain't witches stew from your neighbors garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post

I was given a Sham-Wow too and that thing works pretty darn good too.
Again, I don't care how companies decide to market their product, if it works, really works, I'll buy it.
I should be an investigative reporter. I love testing crap to check it's validity.
I'm the first to say when something's a POS and not to buy it, but will also be the first to praise something and pass it on when it actually does work too!

Too often people bitch-and-moan when something doesn't work, but are much less likely to praise something when it does.

I was skeptical about T's JB when it came out too. Said, I'd never buy it or use it. Then one day I did. And hot d@mn it works, and works very well.
So I use it too.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

I used to use Torco (one of the few that actually work) on my old car (non FI), and it ended up fouling the two O2 sensors. They in turn triggered a CEL and needed replacement at my own expense.

I would beware of additives.
      06-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
Joyrida
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

+1 watch out for the additives, they can really fakk up sensors

for a proper comparison you would have to completely flush the engine / fuel tank and run the engine at speed pre dyno - all on the same day cos of all the variables

and obviously each and every dyno run is different, and has different results

just a waste of money imo

just get higher octane fuel - its a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Pyramid scheme, whose account is tryit? Did you come up with that?

Each pimp gets their own url. If you buy under the various urls that person gets paid. This is lame

http://www.tryit.gosyntek.com
http://getmpg.gosyntek.com/
http://plus.gosyntek.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

Hey Driver. Is the humidity difference alone enough to cause those gains on the dyno?? If not then those are some good numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

This smells like
      06-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #19
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ouch. I am never a fan of additives I've never heard of.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Well again, I've never used Torco or Toulene personally even though I've heard they work, you need to use a lot of it to work however and using that much of it in your gas I too would be weary of what they do to your o2 sensors or other things
I have however used many of the bottle type additives that you find at PepBoys or the like, and those things as far as I know have never caused damage to a car, and millions of people buy that stuff and put it in their cars all the time with no issues, otherwise you wouldn't see them being sold so much.

I'm always up for to try a new product to see if it works. As I said, I tried this stuff and it worked, so I'm letting you all know.

Pyramid scheme? Not exactly. Network Marketing is not a "scheme" and I know several people who've done network marketing and from what I've been told in the past, it's one of the most successful advertising/marketing techniques in the world and makes millionaires of many people.
I tried it years ago, but I'm not really a sales guy, so it doesn't work for me.
He's a neighbor and friend of mine who is also a car enthusiast.

Funny some are worried about a 20 year old product that's registered with the EPA and federal guidelines, and has been used by millions and in multi-million dollar machinery for years, but many of you were willing to jump in and put a tunes and other mods on your car with no regard to it's affects on your car and without it being legal or proven.
I sure did with the first PROcede's and even with the JB3.
We all know those things aren't the best for the longevity of our cars and we put them on by guys who made them in their garage or small shop.

To me, trying a fuel additive and testing it for it's claims seems miniscule by comparison.
And the fact it works and has been around for years and register and approved by the EPA and federal guidelines tells me, it's not like "taking a chance" with it like we all did with the tunes and many of the mods (DP's, meth kits, etc) many throw on their cars with no testing, approval or guidelines to follow.

Nobody has to use this Syntek. I did it worked, I spread the word with the results. No biggie if you don't want to try it. But weather it's marketed on TV by commercials, paid programing or network marketing, what difference does that make?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #21
canrhea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

interesting, maybe Ill try it ponce I hear some more reviews on it
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreek5 View Post
Hey Driver. Is the humidity difference alone enough to cause those gains on the dyno?? If not then those are some good numbers.
yeah humidity is a factor, so are many many other things.

I'll stick to race gas if I need extra power
Appreciate 0