E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335i Issues - Booked in at Dealers today

11-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
impys
Impys
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

335i Issues - Booked in at Dealers today

Hi,

I am taking my 335i E92 2009 to the main dealers this afternoon for the software update.

I am going to mention to them that the car feels slightly jerky in lower gears when I take my foot off the throttle. The car also slightly judders continuously when stationary, you can hardly feel it but its there.

Also when the wipers are being used and I brake I can feel the wipers vibrations on my brade pedal, i.e thud thud

Has anyone else experienced any of these issues?

I have the BMW Insured Warranty through Mondial. Will I be charged an arm and a leg for them just to investigate it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by impys View Post
Hi,

Also when the wipers are being used and I brake I can feel the wipers vibrations on my brade pedal, i.e thud thud

Has anyone else experienced any of these issues?

Thanks
I have this problem as well, please do update this thread after you have been as I thought this was normal

Knowing delaers this will cahrge you to investigate
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Re: wipers, I've come across it before. The demo Sport Plus E91 I test drove did it but the one I received after ordering didn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
veearrsix
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 Porsche Turbo, Polar Silver

I'd be really interested in an update too, my car suffers from all of the symptoms you have mentioned. I've just had the latest software update to attempt to cure wastegate rattling (albeit on a 2006 model), but I have noticed a little 'wobble' on idle.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

1. The N54 is a bit wobbly on idle, all the ones I've been in do it, I quite like it, it's nice to feel there's an engine there.

2. Is yours a manual? If so what you are describing sounds like the engine braking which is enabled in lower gears / lower speeds. To save fuel the engine braking is disabled at higher speeds to allow more coasting. (throttle plate is left open to reduce braking effect)

3. Wipers, AFAIK all E9x do this, all the ones I've been in past and present new or old (up to 2010) do this, it seems its just the motor starting jolt felt throught the bulkhead that supports the brake and clutch pedals. May be fixed on newer models though from other posts.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
ssc330d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

3. Wipers, AFAIK all E9x do this, all the ones I've been in past and present new or old (up to 2010) do this, it seems its just the motor starting jolt felt throught the bulkhead that supports the brake and clutch pedals. May be fixed on newer models though from other posts.
I have never noticed this - so I dont think its all E90's.
I will double check later today.
      11-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

That would be good if you could see...

My 06 Pre lci 330i did it, my 09Lci 335i does it and several courtesy cars have done it too.

Just sit stationary with your foot on the brake and put your wipers on intermittent.

Each start of the 'wipe' of the wipers is accomanied by a 'thunk' you can feel (not hear) though the pedal.

Some have suggested its the brake drying 'pulse' being applied (a feature of 6 cylinder models, and maybe all models more recently) but I don't know, and yours is a 330.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
impys
Impys
England
Rep

Update

Just taken a call from BMW, They said there was a recall outstanding on my car for the injector. Thats the cause of the juddering and jerkiness in low gears

Car staying in at BMW overnight
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
ssc330d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
That would be good if you could see...

My 06 Pre lci 330i did it, my 09Lci 335i does it and several courtesy cars have done it too.

Just sit stationary with your foot on the brake and put your wipers on intermittent.

Each start of the 'wipe' of the wipers is accomanied by a 'thunk' you can feel (not hear) though the pedal.

Some have suggested its the brake drying 'pulse' being applied (a feature of 6 cylinder models, and maybe all models more recently) but I don't know, and yours is a 330.
I am wrong, I can feel it through the brake pedal as you said - but only when the brake pedal is fully depressed (hard down) - otherwise I cant feel it.
      11-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by impys View Post
Update

Just taken a call from BMW, They said there was a recall outstanding on my car for the injector. Thats the cause of the juddering and jerkiness in low gears

Car staying in at BMW overnight
interesting I reported that I'd had an issue re my 335i not long after purchasing it, which I've seen via notification on the forum you've read, the on off throttle response and what I thought was the gearbox having a rather lethargic nature re on/off response. I tried a throttle adaptation reset after having the latest gearbox software uploaded at work, and its better but still IMO not good for a car of this stature, but if there is a re call re injectors I'd be very interested to know the outcome as I'd probably make an enquiry myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

there was a recall for sure (my car had it done before i got it) if you call your dealer with your VIN they should be able to tell if it needed it (certain batch) or whether its been done
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #12
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

I have all the mentioned issues with mine. Last time I went to the dealers they said every part f my car was up to date. recalls etc. Will be questioning them on this.

At the same time, I assumed the juddering thing was normal for a engine with two turbos and largish bhp whilst warming up. Sort of like it but if its having a detrimental affect I would rather have it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
impys
Impys
England
Rep

Sorry for the late reply

As part of the recall BMW have changed 3 injectors, 6 Buffers & 3 Gasket Rings. That was £600 pounds worth of work paid by BMW HQ.

The jerkyness in low gears is solved but its still slightly juddery on idle but that doesnt bother me that much, lets me know that I'm sat behind a powerful machine!

I was told the wiper vibrations on the brake pedal are due to the worn wiper blades, they double checked the blades and confirmed they needed changing but they clear the windscreen perfectly so I'm not changing them just yet

They also updated the security software

Hope this helps others
Appreciate 0