E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Frustrated cleaning wheels... recommendations please

06-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
SC335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC/2015 X5 35i

Frustrated cleaning wheels... recommendations please

I purchased some AGIO S10s awhile back from a member on the boards. When they arrived, they were in great condition except there was some brake dust built up where the lip meets the rim area. Not thinking much of it, since I figured I'd be able to get it off at a later time. Well that time is now and I have been trying to remove the brake dust off the wheels. I've tried to use the BMW wheel cleaner... barely noticed a difference. After that I tried using mother's wheel polish to see if it would lift some of it... didn't help. I am no trying P21S cleaner and it's breaking down a bit. I just added some more of the cleaners and letting it soak some more. Hopefully it will loosen up. Is there anything else I could do? After searching I heard that clay bar could help, but I am still not a believer in using the clay bar if the P21S doesn't work. Which leads me to the last available option..... powder coating perhaps? What are you thoughts? I think black is so common now . Especially since my car is Alpine White. I am open for new options or ideas. I have seen some wheels in white, but I also know they will be a pain to clean. But worst case, it couldn't been any worse than my current situation I'm experiencing now. Please feel free to provide guidance, ideas or solutions. Here are a few pics of the wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

Sick car, and wheels. Did you try clay? if that doesnt work try Meg's wheel brightner thats the strongest shit I have used. Just dont leave it on long
      06-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
I'm not sure what those are made of metal wise but Amazing Roll Off will work. Autogeek has it in stock. I've used it on some nasty rims before and it works wonders.
      06-02-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
SC335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxjax View Post
I'm not sure what those are made of metal wise but Amazing Roll Off will work. Autogeek has it in stock. I've used it on some nasty rims before and it works wonders.
Thanks for the idea, I will look into this as well. I really don't want to powdercoat to fix this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jay View Post
Sick car, and wheels. Did you try clay? if that doesnt work try Meg's wheel brightner thats the strongest shit I have used. Just dont leave it on long

When trying to clay bar the wheels, do you apply it with the quick detailer? Or would that damage the wheel's surface? I would like to try this before ordering Amazing Roll Off or Meg's wheel brightner. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC335 View Post
Thanks for the idea, I will look into this as well. I really don't want to powdercoat to fix this issue.

When trying to clay bar the wheels, do you apply it with the quick detailer? Or would that damage the wheel's surface? I would like to try this before ordering Amazing Roll Off or Meg's wheel brightner. Thanks
I use CG'S Luber as my clay bar lube but you can use any quick detailer or mix whatever you use to wash your car with some water, that will do fine as long as it is slick. You may want to try an agressive clay bar also
      06-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

if you're that worried, just get them refinished
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Definitely try a clay bar first before anything acidic like megs wheel brightener. Any quick detailer will work with the clay bar (Mothers quick detail, meguair's detail are examples). If that doesn't work, I'd try the stronger wheel cleaners, but test them on a small nonvisible area first to make sure you don't mess up the finish. Be sure to dilute the cleaner properly as well.

Beautiful wheels btw.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
LOW2000
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 00 Silverado 08 G35S 62 CJ5

Mothers Wheel Polish is for polishing raw aluminum. If your lips are clearcoated, they won't do a thing. If they are clearcoated, treat them as paint and follow the same steps you'd follow to clean your paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i

Do not use acidic cleaners on your wheels. You will damage the finish and possibly your paint. Acid gets inside the wheels, lug nuts etc and when you drive can fling onto your paint. Cause bleached spots on the side of your vehicle...only spray a safe chemical on wheels such as p21s. Not anything from meguiars. and that is from meguiars themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
hasrice
MOAR POWERRRR
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

I'm with ChrisJ, be very careful of what you use on your wheels. A lot of wheel cleaners are agressive and could permanently damage the finish. Even if it says clear coat safe, test it in a small location first and really wait and see what happens.

Dont' want to screw up your expensive wheels with some cheapo autostore cleaner.

Also as advice, don't let brake dust build up. Your worse enemy!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
SC335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
if you're that worried, just get them refinished
I actually tried that. But unlike living in states, finding someone who could do this was unsuccessful. The company that I thought could perform such a task kicked the wheels back b/c they were afraid of their polisher breaking my studs off the wheels. Trust me I would love nothing more than to give these wheels the care they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz335 View Post
Definitely try a clay bar first before anything acidic like megs wheel brightener. Any quick detailer will work with the clay bar (Mothers quick detail, meguair's detail are examples). If that doesn't work, I'd try the stronger wheel cleaners, but test them on a small nonvisible area first to make sure you don't mess up the finish. Be sure to dilute the cleaner properly as well.

Beautiful wheels btw.
Thanks, I hope to recessitate them
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasrice View Post
I'm with ChrisJ, be very careful of what you use on your wheels. A lot of wheel cleaners are agressive and could permanently damage the finish. Even if it says clear coat safe, test it in a small location first and really wait and see what happens.

Dont' want to screw up your expensive wheels with some cheapo autostore cleaner.

Also as advice, don't let brake dust build up. Your worse enemy!
I couldn't agree more But as stated in my original post, after receiving the wheels when I purchased them from a member, there was brake dust built up already where the wheel meets the lip. I am simply trying any means to restore these beautiful wheels. I don't want to powdercoat them. Only as a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW2000 View Post
Mothers Wheel Polish is for polishing raw aluminum. If your lips are clearcoated, they won't do a thing. If they are clearcoated, treat them as paint and follow the same steps you'd follow to clean your paint.
The lips of the wheels are not clear coated. And when asking the previous owner how he went about maintaining the lip, he told me Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

i wasn't aware that you weren't in the states

in that case, you don't even need a clay bar. you can order this

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/cgi-b...ml%23aAS1#aAS1

i'm pretty sure it's a spray on, soak for a while, spray off process. if tar stays on, repeat process
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #13
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: munichs finest

try chemical guys wheel cleaner or use some polish (autosol)
worst case usa a dremel...

dont see a problem there bro
      08-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
mokeboi
Rep
Drives: 2012 Lexus IS250

You could try Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Works on lotta stuff!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #15
Perfectus
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i/F10 528XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeboi View Post
You could try Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Works on lotta stuff!

I've heard the same thing. Test on a small part of the wheel first.

BTW, nice looking ride!
Injen DCI w/ Cyba Scoop - M-Tech Rear - ///M3 Rear Lip Spoiler - ///M5 SMG Shift Knob & iDrive Knob - BMW Performance Hand Brake - BMWCCA Member
Appreciate 0