E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ultimate BMW Navigation?

02-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Ultimate BMW Navigation?

http://www.mp3car.com/mimics/

Check this out. Pretty simple idea, mirror your Android or iPhone on your dash screen.

Sounds very promising?

02-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
First red flag that came to mind was the vehicle selector - they offer this for every manufacturer, the model is a free form input, and the years aren't even in the right order. They don't provide specific pictures, so what does it even look like? I highly doubt this random company is making high quality panels for every car out there. And to do further damage:

Quote:
As such, the Mimics has these known problems. Mp3Car will not honor returns for the following issues:

1. Mimics requires the use of a Cydia app called Display Out. Screen flickering has been observed on occasion and has been attributed to this app. In order to fix this issue, one must go into the Display Out settings and switch the display resolution from 640 x 480 to a different setting and then back to 640 x 480. Additionally, flickering can sometimes be fixed by unplugging the dock connector and reconnecting it to your iPhone.

2. Currently, the Mimics will display the same image as your phone. Landscape apps will appear in landscape mode on your screen only if your phone is held in landscape. Portrait apps will appear sideways. An app called "Landscape Lock" can help with this problem by locking an app that has both landscape and portrait modes in landscape. This app will not help with apps that only have portrait mode.

3. Incoming callers will sound clear through your car speakers. However, incoming callers to your phone will hear an echoing of their voice when speaking to you. Noise canceling apps have not shown to help remedy this problem.

4. Bluetooth headset pairing is not possible with Mimics. Mimics pairs with your phone via Bluetooth and it is not possible to connect an additional headset when paired with Mimics.
I know you should read before you buy, but this is horrible on their part. These are glaring flaws which would downright piss anyone off. Imagine if you found out about the phone call issue after purchasing...you'd be stuck with it.

Not to mention it would require a completely custom setup with an external amp. It seems like a good idea on paper, but it's only about 5% of the way there.
      02-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Oh and not to mention this is relying on jailbreaking your iPhone, and has no guarantee for future software or hardware support.
      02-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

I gave out this idea to connect with units that already HAVE all the missing functions like Dynavin. Connect this through Dynavin's A/V support and you can have a great setup i believe
      02-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnet2dboi View Post
I gave out this idea to connect with units that already HAVE all the missing functions like Dynavin. Connect this through Dynavin's A/V support and you can have a great setup i believe
You mean just buying the module? It states it only works with "Lilliput 7" 4-wire screen". Not sure what screen Dynavin is using, but I would want to make sure the module would even work. Not to mention it requires piggybacking the controller board onto the Dynavin board...so you'd have to take your Dynavin apart.