E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Why does the stock sound system suck so much

02-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #89
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingxshot View Post
there is... in mine

what is this?

Unless it's aftermarket... no, you don't.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #90
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingxshot View Post
there is... in mine

what is this?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #91
slingxshot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 528i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichojo View Post
Unless it's aftermarket... no, you don't.
you are right.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #92
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

06 /w Hi-Fi, it's better than the cars i've driven in the past and quite fine, but not outstanding either. I'd say average.

Anyone know any good settings for bass, treble, etc? haha
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #93
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

The funny thing is, I've seen these statements all over the map.

I've seen people talk about how great Logic 7 (Premium sound, 2006-2009) sounds. I've seen other people talk about how much they dislike it. Ditto harman/kardon (Premium sound 2010-2011). These two systems definitely sound different to me, I will add. You know how many emails I get from people which say, "I have the stock system and you know how bad that is" and it turns out they have Premium Sound?

I've seen people talk about how they like HiFi, and I've seen people talk about how they hate it. HiFi should NOT suck as bad as it does.

I've seen people say that base Stereo isn't that bad, and I've seen people complain about how horrendous it is. (It is horrendous.)

Well, guess what the variable in all these is? The reporters.

Your judgement in this matter will be largely based on what you've heard before - what systems you've listened to critically- and what kind of recordings you listen to. To a great degree, what you've heard before is largely a function of how much you care about sound quality.

And that can be greatly affected by your exposure to good home hi-fi sound - by that I mean a good two-channel system. Many people half my age (I'm 46) have never heard a good high-fidelity music system.

I recommend that everybody should hear a good 2-channel home audio system some time. Look up a Thiel dealer or a Martin-Logan dealer or a Dynaudio home dealer or a Krell or Audio Research dealer, and go in there sometime and say, "I'm not in the market for anything, but if you have 5 minutes, I've been told I need to hear a good music system such as you guys offer" and let them do a demo. Most of these guys are happy to do this as long as you aren't taking them away from actual customers (which is not cool to do, of course).

Home high-fidelity is not our reference, of course. Live music is our reference. But home is what car aspires to.

(Oh, and my car came with HiFI, and it was heinous...)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #94
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

HI FI settings

Fader to the front if you want bring up the bass and fullness a bit.
I heard a 2011 high fi yesterday is seemed weaker than the old hi fi
but it might have been the source music.

Blame apple, pandora and napster for the low fi epidemic.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #95
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Oh, and the base Stereo system was NOT eliminated. It is still available in the rest of the world, just as it was before 2010. That's been the standard audio system since the E9X launched, everywhere but the US.

It came to the US in 2010 because sometime prior, when many folks were afraid of a Great Depression, somebody in Munich made a bad decision about how to save some money.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #96
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Oh, and the base Stereo system was NOT eliminated. It is still available in the rest of the world, just as it was before 2010. That's been the standard audio system since the E9X launched, everywhere but the US.

It came to the US in 2010 because sometime prior, when many folks were afraid of a Great Depression, somebody in Munich made a bad decision about how to save some money.
To be fully honest, that bad decision is the reason I will not be returning with bmw- yes only because of the sound system. I am not one to tamper with the stock system with aftermarket parts etc.

Even the harmon kardon in my brother's fully loaded m-sport 335i isn't up to bar with the the audi's sound system.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #97
jerrys
Rep
Drives: bmw se

I have the stock system as well. I'd say it's not good enought. I want to install a new car dvd player
      02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #98
Aurich
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

UPS is dropping off a couple of boxes tomorrow, courtesy of VP Electricity. I opted for the basic Stage 1 upgrade + the trunk subwoofer add-on. I can't wait to tear these stock speakers out.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #99
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurich View Post
UPS is dropping off a couple of boxes tomorrow, courtesy of VP Electricity. I opted for the basic Stage 1 upgrade + the trunk subwoofer add-on. I can't wait to tear these stock speakers out.
Good luck with the install (it's not that hard - just take your time & read the DIY's here).

I got the Stage 1 without the sub. I'll be interested to hear your impression of how big a difference the sub makes. Which underseats did you get? Jehnert? SWS8? Other?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #100
Aurich
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Good luck with the install (it's not that hard - just take your time & read the DIY's here).

I got the Stage 1 without the sub. I'll be interested to hear your impression of how big a difference the sub makes. Which underseats did you get? Jehnert? SWS8? Other?
I stuck with the standard Audio System underseats. I don't blast my music, and the sub will handle any real low end, so I didn't really think it was worth spending more. I'd already run up against about as much as I thought I could get away with telling my wife I'd spent.

The sub upgrade cost about what getting a pro to do the install would, figured I'd rather get my hands dirty and put the money into the system. I'll report back when I've got it all set up.

BTW - Ken emailed me today to say that he was worried that there wasn't a calibration CD packed in with my Cleansweep, and that he was overnighting one via FedEx to be safe, no charge. That's service!
Appreciate 0