E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Where is my oil going?

05-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
MaxBoost335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 DCT ZCP

Where is my oil going?

Hello all, I am hoping if anyone can help shed some light. I just got my car back from the dealer about 3 weeks ago for 6 injectors & spark plug replaced along with the new software update. Anyways, the day after I'd pick up my car, I get the low engine oil light (yellow) to add 1 quart of oil. So I did and all is good back to full and green oil level marks. Then yesterday I get a red low oil light. This freaks me out, but I do not want to add too much oil either if the problem is a bad oil level sensor. So I add 1/2 a quart and the oil level resets and goes back to the full green level mark with just the 1/2 quart. My car starts and runs smooth no dark smoke and no oil drips anywhere. So what give? Is there a way to physically check the oil level? I don't have a occ and I am running JB3 2.0 on map 3. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBoost335 View Post
Hello all, I am hoping if anyone can help shed some light. I just got my car back from the dealer about 3 weeks ago for 6 injectors & spark plug replaced along with the new software update. Anyways, the day after I'd pick up my car, I get the low engine oil light (yellow) to add 1 quart of oil. So I did and all is good back to full and green oil level marks. Then yesterday I get a red low oil light. This freaks me out, but I do not want to add too much oil either if the problem is a bad oil level sensor. So I add 1/2 a quart and the oil level resets and goes back to the full green level mark with just the 1/2 quart. My car starts and runs smooth no dark smoke and no oil drips anywhere. So what give? Is there a way to physically check the oil level? I don't have a occ and I am running JB3 2.0 on map 3. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank guys.
only way to check the oil physically is to drop it and measure it.
      05-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
MaxBoost335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Why can't BMW just put a dipstick in their cars? make life easier for all of us.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
OCC as soon as you can (BSH is great). BMW's are notorious for oil leaking from the valve/head cover gasket. If it leaks in big amounts, it ends up in the spark plug wells.

You could do the spark plug DIY (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=spark+plug) to the point where you take the coils off, look down in each well with a flashlight and see if there is oil in there sitting above the spark plug.

" The way that the ignition system is designed on these BMWs, there is the opportunity for the spark plug holes to completely fill up with oil, if you have a leaky seal on your valve cover. When you pull out the spark plug connector / coil combo, you may find that it is completely submerged in engine oil, as shown in Figure 12 and Figure 13. Looking down the hole, you may not even be able to see the spark plug because the entire hole is filled up with oil (Figure 14 and Figure 15). While common sense says that this is not a good thing, the reality is that this is actually quite common, and doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car one bit. If you do find this oil in your spark plug holes, I would suggest that you go one step further and replace the valve cover gasket. "

from and E36 engine article: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...park-Plugs.htm

Worth the 30 minutes is would take to remove the cowl, engine cover, disconnect coil wiring and pull the coil to look down in the hole, just in case. If you are not comfortable doing it, take it back to the dealer and ask them to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
mhkm
The Doctor
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2013 E70 X5M

One more thing u might want to check:
Open the oil filler cap and look inside for oil sludge buildup on the internals...
      05-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
MaxBoost335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

thanks for the inputs guys. I have a busy week ahead of me and will let you all know what I find.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
MaxBoost335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also, the valve cover gasket makes a lot of sense, as the dealer have been going in to replace the injectors 3 times before finally getting it right by replacing all 6 injectors and plugs. If there are oil in the spark plug wells, does that mean the spark plugs and or coils are fowled and need to be replaced?
Appreciate 0