E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quick story & tuning advise

02-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
ptwob311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quick story & tuning advise

So, I read WAY more than I post but I feel this is worth sharing. Tuning advice Qs are at the bottom of the story.
I have searched... and read and read and read... just asking, so please no "try the search function idiot" post.

Finally took the car to the 1/4 mile track in Houston. Had the car 2yrs now... My bud that I grew up with just bought a brand new 2011 Mustang 5.0; 6sp auto. He also has a 1300+ HP 91 Mustang that runs 7.90s. Not street legal, and only holds about 2 gallons of race fuel and two HUGE bottles of NO2. The new mustang is currently on jack stands getting a new converter, shorter gear, engine kit, exhaust and a tune. He is no novice to drag racing and this event for us was purely fun and just for kicks/insults. We wanted to compare my 4 dr 07 335 to his new Mustang.

I Logged all runs with PROcede if anyone cares to see/offer advice:
My First run was disappointing to say the least. Left it in auto, foot on brake... light turns green, foot moves to gas.... 13.662 @ 103.75
Kinda expected that as I "granny drove it" with the procede off... but Expected a little faster.
Skipping through the next six runs, which I went to sport auto, bring the car up on the converter and then dropping the bake and flooring it simultaneously. DTC in the mid setting...DTC Off.. PROcede On map 1, then Map 2 (higher boost)...etc etc Got the car to Run a 13.188 @106.93. My car is stock with PROcede. 1/4 tank of 93 in it.

Funny part of story:
My bud and I line up and see if BMW has got it or if the "best" 5 liter Ford has ever made has got it. Sitting in the lines leading to the staging area my wife and his are in my back seat dancing around with the stereo turned up really loud, we are just all having a good time. Some chick in her man's car next to me keeps giving us crazy looks... I put on the helmet (told to for whatever reason; thought 12.9 was the cut-off for that????) and this chick looks at me and shakes her head, like I am retarded; I guess the 87 trans-am with four colors of primer, a cam, and exhaust was a "real" race car worthy of the driver wearing a helmet. I almost yell out "you ever seen a BMW Grocery getter spank a Mustang...Wench?!" but held back as I was certain it would be real close or I would most likely lose. Light turns, my RT .233, his .410 The jump I got was all the ground I had the entire strip. I got him by .2 at the finish line 13.266 @ 105.34 to 13.5.. Half way down the track I hit my flashers, according to our other friends there the crowd burst into laughter. My bud is laughing his ass off as well as we get our time slips and get back in the queue for another run.
He gets the jump this time and the race is the same.... no ground gained or lost. Third run I get the jump, and again the distance at the starting line was the exact distance crossing the finish line. BONE stock Mustang 5.0 GT with paper tags and 217 miles on it VS 07 335i Steptronic.

I have 285 Michelin PS2s on the car and he has stack "pizza cutters" from Ford. So, I believe with better tires he would win damn near every time. But it was fun to pull Detroit down the track 2 out of 3 times.

NOW... I have planned to put DPs, IC, DVs, OCC, and exhaust on the car. I plan on ordering most parts either tonight or tomorrow. Here is my selected line up
AR catless ceramic DPs
Forge DVs
As far as ICs go I am torn
AA or HPF??? <-- Advice/suggestions welcome
leaning more for HPF
OCCs; I really like this onehttp://42draftdesigns.com/categories...catchcans.html
But am open to opinions/alternatives
Exhaust; here is where I need some serious help. I HATE HATE drone and really loud exhaust at cruising speeds. I will revisit the exhaust sound clips and listen but if anyone can post up what they have and like/dislike that would be awesome.
I thought of getting and electronically controlled dump valve and dumping the exhaust just after the DPs, but is this a "dumb" idea. It would be quiet cruising but get the flow needed for autocross and against that 5.0 next time we meet.

What do you guys think the car will run with that list and the PROcede turned up to the stage 2? Are 11s possible??

Thanks for reading and any advice given.
SOLD 2007 335i Sedan Titanium Silver Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Don't take this the wrong way, but the crowd most likely bust out laughing because you used the flashers. If you did that at any of the track around here you would get laughed at, and possibly booed as well. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
I have the hpf fmic and I like it. Check my threads, I made a review.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
ptwob311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but the crowd most likely bust out laughing because you used the flashers. If you did that at any of the track around here you would get laughed at, and possibly booed as well. lol
It was an old joke between us from way back... If they laughed at me, AWESOME. I provided the crowd a little entertainment.

no insult taken.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

You will see crazier, more retarded things the more you go to the track. I can promise you that.

Those 5.0s are very mod-friendly though. I believe someone already got one into the 9s.

As far as your mods:

I have AR ceramic coated DP - love it.
I have AA FMIC - does a great job, but would reconsider other FMICs if i got to do it again.
I have AA exhaust - would get a different exhaust, drones quite a bit.
I have Forge DVs - work great

11s are only likely when on race gas and/or meth and DRs with at least DPs, FMIC. Min of 17lbs of boost. IMO
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

If you find an exhaust that doesn't drone, post up. Don't think one exists though... Btw, the ets fmic is really good, easily installed, and cheaper than most.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
ptwob311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
You will see crazier, more retarded things the more you go to the track. I can promise you that.

Those 5.0s are very mod-friendly though. I believe someone already got one into the 9s.

As far as your mods:

I have AR ceramic coated DP - love it.
I have AA FMIC - does a great job, but would reconsider other FMICs if i got to do it again.
I have AA exhaust - would get a different exhaust, drones quite a bit.
I have Forge DVs - work great

11s are only likely when on race gas and/or meth and DRs with at least DPs, FMIC. Min of 17lbs of boost. IMO
Yea, We saw one going 12.40s with just tires, tune and exhaust. I know there will be no next time, but once was fun enough.

What other FMIC would you consider and why? I always thought the AA was pretty high up on the list, but as of late have really started liking the HPF, but not sure about the factory couplings....will they hold up under higher boost levels?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwob311 View Post
Yea, We saw one going 12.40s with just tires, tune and exhaust. I know there will be no next time, but once was fun enough.

What other FMIC would you consider and why? I always thought the AA was pretty high up on the list, but as of late have really started liking the HPF, but not sure about the factory couplings....will they hold up under higher boost levels?
Yes, they will.
Appreciate 0