E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Did an autocross yesterday (with HD video)

07-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Did an autocross yesterday (with HD video)

The Lone Star Chapter BMW CCA had their 5th AX of the year yesterday at the Texas Motor Speedway. Here's the course:

Here was my fastest lap. I was 3rd fastest in my run group, 26th of 59 overall:

07-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Jeffrolite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e90 Red MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by acj75 View Post
The Lone Star Chapter BMW CCA had their 5th AX of the year yesterday at the Texas Motor Speedway. Here's the course:

Here was my fastest lap. I was 3rd fastest in my run group, 26th of 59 overall:

Our cars are d stock or b street prepared. Why are you racing in e?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrolite View Post
They rank you on a points system. You get a certain amount of points for base model, and points for modifications. Your point total determines which class you are placed in. Here are the official rules:

F. CAR CLASSIFICATIONS:
All cars are generally classified by their overall performance capabilities. There are two main groupings for classifying cars – BMWs and non-BMWs.
BMWs and MINIs may only register in classes A thru G.
Non-BMWs may only register in classes X thru Z.

NOTE: Drivers may, at their option, register their car and compete in a more competitive class than that in which their car is normally classified. For example, a BMW whose base and modifications points falls into Class C may register for any or all events in class E. Drivers who intend to make modifications to their car as the season progresses would be best served to take advantage of this option!

BMWs
BMWs and MINIs are assigned base points for STOCK performance capabilities and receive additional points for MODIFICATIONS to the stock setup. The sum of these points will determine what class the vehicle will compete in. BMW and MINI complete in Class B through Class G, with Class G being the highest performance and/or more modified cars.

Classification Point Ranges
Class B: 0 to 34 points
Class C: 35 to 44 points
Class D: 45 to 54 points
Class E: 55 to 64 points
Class F: 65 to 74 points
Class G: 75 points and higher

Non-BMWs
Non-BMW classes are X thru Z and placement is based on manufacturers’ published engine displacement specifications. Engine displacement is rounded to the nearest tenth of a liter. For example, 2,948cc = 2.9L, whereas 2,950cc = 3.0L.
§ A forced induction displacement multiplier of 1.5 is applied to all non-BMW turbocharged and supercharged engines. For example, a 2.0L turbo engine is classified as a 2.0L X 1.5 = 3.0L engine. This multiplier applies whether the forced induction is done by the original manufacturer or installed as an aftermarket upgrade.
§ Rotary engines are assessed a displacement multiplier of 2.0. For example, a 1.3L rotary engine is classified as a 1.3L X 2.0 = 2.6L engine
NOTE: Rotary engines that have forced induction are assessed both displacement multipliers. For example, a 1.3L turbo rotary engine is classified as 1.3L X 1.5 X 2 = 3.9L

Class X: Non-BMW vehicles less than 2.1 liters (except S2000 and Lotus Elise)
Class Y: Non-BMW vehicles greater than 2.1 liters and less than 4.0 liters. (including S2000 & Elise)
Class Z : Non-BMW vehicles 4.0 liters and above

The use of “R” compound or “slick” tires on a Non-BMW moves the vehicle up to the next higher class.
      07-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrolite View Post
Yea, BMWCCA uses a different (and worse, IMO) classing system than SCCA
Appreciate 0