E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Central locking no longer working via nkey fob

06-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
raddersmanu
Rep
Drives: 335d se auto

diversity amplifier

Just looked at the diversity module and it looks totaly dry and clean so Iam beginning to think it may not be this now, but what else could it be ? The central locking works from the dash switch and the emergency key, I only have one remote so can not check it with spare, any suggestions gratefully received.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #24
ljw350
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d wanted

sorry to bring up such an old topic, but my key fob stopped working, was fine one day then not the next. Tried the spare and still no luck.

Checked the module under the rear spoiler and it looks in very good condition with not water damage or marks at all.

Only thing i can think of is was dropping kids off and 3 all pulling at different doors whilst looked and i pushed the unlock button on dash now the remotes seems to have stopped.

thanks lee
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
punnzzells
Canada
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E91 Wagon

Lee....

did you check your Key Fob's battery? If yours is like my E91, it's a rechargeable one... you can open up the fob with an x-acto knife and a small screw driver...patiently... if you have a tester, you can test the battery before you replace it...

mine had to be de soldered.

I just had this issue and replaced the battery, but no luck... I will check this diversity amplifier to see if this is the case... been going to the touch-less car wash too much maybe?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #26
BMWdriver85
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90

I had this issue last week - had new Panasonic rechargeable battery fitted in keyfob, made no difference.

Purchased another antenna amplifier off ebay for £28 and all is fine again.

Make sure you go for an amplifier with as similar manufacture code as poss to the original

In the saloon the antenna amplifier is located internally in the back seats in the ceiling where the trim is different.

In the estates I think it is more exteriorly located at the rear of car and slightly more difficult to get to
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #27
ljw350
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d wanted

i have the E91 and its under the rear spoiler. easy to get at, i have been reluctant to replace as the only E91's ones are £130 on ebay and mine looks in very good condition with no water damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

My central locking failure was due to the underrated fuse blowing. The fix may be as simple as a new fuse. Upgrade it too as BMW do this very fix. Fit 20A I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #29
BMWdriver85
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipper View Post
My central locking failure was due to the underrated fuse blowing. The fix may be as simple as a new fuse. Upgrade it too as BMW do this very fix. Fit 20A I think.
wouldn't a blown fuse also affect the manual key central locking?

I checked my fuses (which are a pain to get to) and they were fine, I wasn't expecting probs with fuse since the key within the fob still activated the central locking. Maybe this is the same for the op.

My problem was with the antenna receiving unit within the car, this would appear to be a fairly common problem.

I note that the e91 antenna looks slightly different (different positions for the screws) compared to the e90, it seems strange that quite a few ebay sellers are selling the e90 version and claiming it is compatible with e91 ??
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
punnzzells
Canada
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E91 Wagon

Does anyone have the OEM part # for this ?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #31
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
There's a few different types depending on your options. There's one for an e91 on ebay at the moment if you want a closer look though.
      05-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #32
ilgidi
Rep
Drives: E91 320D Touring Msport

FOB issue

Hi,

I came across this thread as i have the same issue. I took out the diversity module but all looks dry. My keys just stopped working. the last thing i did before they stopped was to take the car to a jet wash. hence i am suspecting that the issue relates to water. so far i am at a loos as to what it could be. any other ideas perhaps?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #33
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Have you opened up the Diversity module to check for stains on the circuit board?
      05-12-2014, 03:53 AM   #34
ilgidi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffking View Post
Have you opened up the Diversity module to check for stains on the circuit board?
I removed the roof spoiler but did not have time to remove the module and open it up. I will do so today and see whether water seeped in the module. I am in Malta and it's hot at the moment so probably any water has dried up. I will remove the circuit and clean it with a contact cleaner and try it again. If ot I will have to get a new one. Can't find anything on ebay though! Wouldn't want to get a full price one as they are quite pricey! Will post how it goes.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #35
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgidi View Post
I removed the roof spoiler but did not have time to remove the module and open it up. I will do so today and see whether water seeped in the module. I am in Malta and it's hot at the moment so probably any water has dried up. I will remove the circuit and clean it with a contact cleaner and try it again. If ot I will have to get a new one. Can't find anything on ebay though! Wouldn't want to get a full price one as they are quite pricey! Will post how it goes.

cheers
There will still be stains where the water has dried up if it has leaked at any point in its life. Check the cIrcuit board for stains.
I agree with the price though. I looked on ebay and ended up searching for E91 boot lids and managed to get someone to remove the module and post it to me as most sellers are unaware of the issue.
      05-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #36
ilgidi
Rep

Quote:
There will still be stains where the water has dried up if it has leaked at any point in its life. Check the cIrcuit board for stains.
I agree with the price though. I looked on ebay and ended up searching for E91 boot lids and managed to get someone to remove the module and post it to me as most sellers are unaware of the issue.
I will check later. However I was unlucky enough to find one for 66 pounds only to be told another salesperson sold it while I was enquiring for it :-( In the meantime I have been quoted two prices from breakers, 125 and 133. Double than the first. I don't think I can salvage it if it is indeed the Antenna.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #37
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah you can get an entire boot lid for that complete with module

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERI...item338d7e54e4
      05-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #38
ilgidi
Rep

Quote:
Yeah you can get an entire boot lid for that complete with module

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERI...item338d7e54e4
Hey...I finally got myself to taking out the module. From what I could see no water made it through to the module. The only things I saw out of place were two ribbon like cables, covering the hinges. They were sprayed over and do not look like they have a function but I stand corrected. both flat ribbons are cut so not sure whether this is the cause. Are yours cut as well? I managed to scrape the paint off them and these ribbons look like metal. See pics.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:47 AM   #39
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Well the circuit board look fine to me, mine was covered in white stains where the water had dried up. It's interesting that you found a ribbon cable though. Are you able to follow it back and does it appear like its supposed to go to anywhere on the module?
      05-14-2014, 03:51 AM   #40
ilgidi
Rep

Quote:
Well the circuit board look fine to me, mine was covered in white stains where the water had dried up. It's interesting that you found a ribbon cable though. Are you able to follow it back and does it appear like its supposed to go to anywhere on the module?
It's not a ribbon cable really. It's hard to describe. I am pointing to it with my finger. It's like a flat piece of really flexible steel, looks like plastic actually, that is tied by a torx from one side and a nut on the other side. When the window is open it forms a loop but when closed it is flat over the hinge. I cannot understand it's purpose tbh. IT does not seem to be electrical. However, if the circuit looks good, fuses are not blown and central lock still works with the inside button, what could the problem be? I have looked elsewhere and they all point to the same issue, the module.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:58 AM   #41
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah the module could indeed still be duff, but its usually caused by corrosion from a water leak, which yours doesn't seem to have had.
Have you tried a spare key fob? Otherwise you're gonna need to test fit another module or get a dealer to test your key fob.
      05-14-2014, 04:01 AM   #42
ilgidi
Rep

Tried both key FOBs. I don't think that both keys are bust. Is the module something that can be diagnosed?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 04:33 AM   #43
ilgidi
Rep

Also, I keep reading about this fuse 57...on my fuse diagram fuse 57 is for the horn. Locking related fuses are 61, 72, 73 and 79. I only checked those fuses.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #44
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah i also found that fuse 57 related to something else, although its better to check them all as you never know what else they supply.
I think you'd struggle to get someone to look at the module. The only definitive way that i can see is to borrow a module from a. similar car. Maybe find a breaker within travelling distance that will let you try before you buy on the grounds that you'll pay the asking price if it works?