E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Just finished luxh8 160

03-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Just finished luxh8 160

That was tough on a 2011 e90

Put the bulb in , the resistor went in last, basically perpendicular to the opening - is this correct ?

Anyhow if your hands are smaller it's going to be easier

I am not sure ifnthebouter rings should be this light ?

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Is this how the reaistor supposed to fit after the install (view outside housing opening) I can't seem to fit them in any other way (barely)- wondering if the heat from the bulb behind them will be issue ?

I did also remove the post like tab as per the instructions

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Also is there any chance adding all that stuff in the housing impacts the turning of the lense left and right ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles
Also is there any chance adding all that stuff in the housing impacts the turning of the lense left and right ?
I don't believe there will be any heating issues with it sitting on top but there could be some problems with the arm that turns the headlights. I have different bulbs but mine were able to slip through on the side. The outer ring will always be lighter on these cars which is a bummer. If it seems way too light though it could be that the bulb isn't screwed in all the way, you could double check just to make sure
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Can you post a pic taken from about 15 feet away shot at the same level as the headlights? Perhaps zoom in a bit. The outer rings should light up better then. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The lights need to viewed from over 30 feet away. Then the outer rings will appear to be lit.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
The lights need to viewed from over 30 feet away. Then the outer rings will appear to be lit.
+1 Thank you Jeff.

The outer rings are only visible from straight on, and this is best seen from farther back. This is due to the design of the headlights themselves and not the light source

Also the above picture with the power supply is the best location to put it and it will be safe from heat there. Hope you enjoy them
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
I don't believe there will be any heating issues with it sitting on top but there could be some problems with the arm that turns the headlights. I have different bulbs but mine were able to slip through on the side. The outer ring will always be lighter on these cars which is a bummer. If it seems way too light though it could be that the bulb isn't screwed in all the way, you could double check just to make sure
How would the resistor position as In pic impact the arm ? I don't know if I'm paranoid but I think my lights aren't turning to the left but see them
Turn to the right- they are xenon auto leveling - if the resistors are blocking the pivot of the light right or left would I get the error alarm like some way before any damage can be done? I don't know how else I can keep them out of the housing since the cap seals it shut (can't keep it outside of it )

I really don't think they will fit any other way? Would it work if they went in first

I'll take some more pics tomorrow
Around 5 after work / they look amazing when it's not that bright out - but in the vids / pics seemed brighter at day time -

Last edited by Herakles; 03-28-2016 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #9
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Closer to dusk

A little earlier
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #10
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Thanks for the new pics OP. The outer rings do look disappointingly dim.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #11
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
Thats the design of the headlight, not the light source. it will look the exact same way with the stock bulbs too unfortunately. Once you step back from the car they appear more full. Also if other cars on the road are that close to your car i think you have other bigger problems to worry about, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #12
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles
Quote:
How would the resistor position as In pic impact the arm ? I don't know if I'm paranoid but I think my lights aren't turning to the left but see them
Turn to the right- they are xenon auto leveling - if the resistors are blocking the pivot of the light right or left would I get the error alarm like some way before any damage can be done? I don't know how else I can keep them out of the housing since the cap seals it shut (can't keep it outside of it )

I really don't think they will fit any other way? Would it work if they went in first

I'll take some more pics tomorrow
Around 5 after work / they look amazing when it's not that bright out - but in the vids / pics seemed brighter at day time -
When I was at the dealer a service member advised me that it could affect the arm there but I'm not 100% sure, I opened my headlights open today and they're actually sitting on top as well and don't affect it. I wouldn't worry about it. For the xenon's moving left and right, when you test left are you sitting still? If your car is sitting still and you turn your wheel, it will only turn to the right. It will not turn left if you are still or going at a slow speed. Tripped me out first time I noticed but confirmed on the forums
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
As mentioned before these lights needs to be viewed from over 30 feet away.

This goes for even your stock angel eyes.

You'll notice the stock angel eye are just as dim in the outer ring when you stand only a few feet back.

You must be over 30 feet away for the outer rings to appear lit. I even recommend one step further and that is to have your eyes level with the headlight and centered with the vehicle.

BMW specifically designed the lights to function in this manner with the etching of the rings and placement of the bulb.

The most common thing people do after they upgrade their angel eye is turn the car on and walk in front of the car from only a few feet away; something they never did with the stock lights. Then they jump the gun and say they are "poor performing".

Walk away from the car and you'll slowly see the outer rings appear. This goes for any LED angel eye upgrade or the stock bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #14
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When I was at the dealer a service member advised me that it could affect the arm there but I'm not 100% sure, I opened my headlights open today and they're actually sitting on top as well and don't affect it. I wouldn't worry about it. For the xenon's moving left and right, when you test left are you sitting still? If your car is sitting still and you turn your wheel, it will only turn to the right. It will not turn left if you are still or going at a slow speed. Tripped me out first time I noticed but confirmed on the forums
Wow just wow !!!
Yes I'm parked and I'm like oh no I see them turn to right , then turn wheel to left and nothing..what's the rationale not allowing them to turn left when parked ? I thought maybe they didn't turn left at all to not impact oncoming traffic

I can't picture the arm - would the location of the resistors be anywhere near the arm ?

I'm pretty happy - I'm second guessing myself wondering if the gasket didn't seal right and light is escaping making the outers dim- but to the naked eye it looks much. More prominent than the pics are showing
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
Sly-Creed
Private
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
Wow just wow !!!
Yes I'm parked and I'm like oh no I see them turn to right , then turn wheel to left and nothing..what's the rationale not allowing them to turn left when parked ? I thought maybe they didn't turn left at all to not impact oncoming traffic

I can't picture the arm - would the location of the resistors be anywhere near the arm ?

I'm pretty happy - I'm second guessing myself wondering if the gasket didn't seal right and light is escaping making the outers dim- but to the naked eye it looks much. More prominent than the pics are showing
That's just the design of the lights. I wouldn't worry about it too much. When you approach cars from behind, and your angel eyes are on, it almost looks identical to the factory LED ones. It's only when you get out and walk closer to them that the outer one looks dim.
Appreciate 0