E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Front end compression "Thud" sound ??? Help Please

01-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
Molarz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Front end compression "Thud" sound ??? Help Please

I have a 2010 BMW 335i coupe M sport Xdrive with currently stock suspension

I am wondering whether anyone else has experienced a similar problem when going over a large depression in the road?

It seems as when I go over a fair to decent size depression (not slowing down) that allows for the front suspension to compress.... I often (almost always) here a thud sound in the front end? At first I thought my car was scraping something but it doesnt really sound like a scraping noise? I know we have the transfer case in the front end so suspected something may be contacting it during the compression of the front suspension?

Has anyone ever experienced what I am talking about or know of the problem? If so please chime in and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
CoralRed335XI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molarz View Post

I am wondering whether anyone else has experienced a similar problem when going over a large depression in the road?

It seems as when I go over a fair to decent size depression (not slowing down) that allows for the front suspension to compress.... I often (almost always) here a thud sound in the front end? At first I thought my car was scraping something but it doesnt really sound like a scraping noise? I know we have the transfer case in the front end so suspected something may be contacting it during the compression of the front suspension?

Has anyone ever experienced what I am talking about or know of the problem? If so please chime in and thanks!
That would happen to me sometimes on my stock xi suspension. I assumed it was the suspension bottoming out and hitting the bump stops. Upgraded to KWs and thump is gone.
      02-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
rosica
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: s2000

Garage List
2001 S2000  [0.00]
2007 333xi  [0.00]
Stock xi suspension only has 1" of travel
Attached Images

02-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Is there also a rattle? Methinks it also might be the suspension bushing.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
Molarz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
Is there also a rattle? Methinks it also might be the suspension bushing.
I dont think I have a rattle..... more so just a thud/scratch/scrape sound.

If Rosica says the Xi suspensions only have an inch of travel than it is very likely that perhaps on hard compression that the front suspension is bottoming out early maybe to protect the transfer case?
Crap wondering whether this is going to be a problem since I just ordered my Dinan Stage 1 suspension for the Xdrive but I did get the corresponding bump stop kit so wondering whether I will have better travel in the suspension before it hits the bump stops?

Thanks guys for chiming in
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
E93M3-08
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molarz View Post

Do a Google search for "pothole explosion". You will find that you are not alone.

I had the same issue on my e91 xi although it was more of a BANG!!! than a thud. The car had about 24,000 km on it when I got it and I experienced the problem from day one.

I recently replaced the shocks with a set of Bilstein B6 HD and the problem is completely solved. The ride is firm but not harsh. The car handles way better now too! Couldn't be happier.
325XiT 2006 TiAg, 6MT, Bilstein shocks, BMW P/E, P/I, Performance alu front strut brace, BMW Perf. front and rear bumpers + rocker panels, 50% tint, roof rail delete, CDV delete, C/F delete, BMW blacklines, BMW gloss black kidney grill, Style 189 staggered, 3 stage manifold, AA stage 2 ECU tune, M-Sport leather seats + interior, M-Sport steering wheel, M-Sport door sills, sport gearshift knob, LUX AE V6.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I usually only get "thud" sound upon entering/exiting high driveways. Curious to know if this is the same....
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #8
E93M3-08
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg87 View Post
I usually only get "thud" sound upon entering/exiting high driveways. Curious to know if this is the same....
I doubt it, unless you're approaching the step up (or down) fast enough to bottom out the suspension.

If you're hearing the thud at low speeds over quick changes in road surface height, the situation you mentioned, the noise could be coming from worn anti-roll bar links, worn top hat bearings, loose tie rod ends, thrust arms etc.

Do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel when suddenly applying the brakes at highway speeds?
325XiT 2006 TiAg, 6MT, Bilstein shocks, BMW P/E, P/I, Performance alu front strut brace, BMW Perf. front and rear bumpers + rocker panels, 50% tint, roof rail delete, CDV delete, C/F delete, BMW blacklines, BMW gloss black kidney grill, Style 189 staggered, 3 stage manifold, AA stage 2 ECU tune, M-Sport leather seats + interior, M-Sport steering wheel, M-Sport door sills, sport gearshift knob, LUX AE V6.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
Molarz
Private
Rep

I can't imagine that BMW designed this Xi suspension that is arguably much higher than the normal BMW's but bottoms out sooner?? This is going to be fun when my Dinan suspension goes in
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #10
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Ah yes, and it's low enough as it is; even in the xi I find myself having to go through ramps and certain dips at an angle since I know it'll scrape heads on... At the rate I'm going, if I get similar shocks I'd probably have to get a lift mechanism like they do in the Lambo since in a car culture area such as SoCal, I'm surprised that not more is being done to make it friendly to sports-tuned cars.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosica View Post
BS!

I guess when I lowered mine by 2", I must now have a negative 1" travel. There is not a production car in the world with only 1" of travel. I would guess our cars to have around 6" to 8" of travel stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #12
rosica
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: s2000

Garage List
2001 S2000  [0.00]
2007 333xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosica View Post
BS!

I guess when I lowered mine by 2", I must now have a negative 1" travel. There is not a production car in the world with only 1" of travel. I would guess our cars to have around 6" to 8" of travel stock.
With stock bump stops travel is 1" you must have removed or cut bump stops.
      02-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
stevenh44
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW R1200R

I experience something similar. Just during normal driving, I hit bumps, imperfections in the road or even cracks in the road I hear a thud. the suspension is not even compressing that much because its not a hard bump. Sounds like it's coming from the tires but I put on Michelin NON runflats. Once my rear end goes over I hear same sound just maybe twenty percent of what the front is. The sway bar bushing, is this hard to replace? I'm thinking maybe this may be the cauae
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #14
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9106 View Post
I doubt it, unless you're approaching the step up (or down) fast enough to bottom out the suspension.

If you're hearing the thud at low speeds over quick changes in road surface height, the situation you mentioned, the noise could be coming from worn anti-roll bar links, worn top hat bearings, loose tie rod ends, thrust arms etc.

Do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel when suddenly applying the brakes at highway speeds?
No vibrations in the steering w/ brakes at highway speeds. I only hear/feel the "thud" when entering (going up) a high driveway at an angle so the front bumper doesn't scrape.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #15
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRed335XI View Post
That would happen to me sometimes on my stock xi suspension. I assumed it was the suspension bottoming out and hitting the bump stops. Upgraded to KWs and thump is gone.
Which KW's did you upgrade to?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
CoralRed335XI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [3.66]
Quote:
Which KW's did you upgrade to?
KW V1. Got an extremely good deal too. PM for details.
      02-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #17
E93M3-08
Private
Rep

Quote:
No vibrations in the steering w/ brakes at highway speeds. I only hear/feel the "thud" when entering (going up) a high driveway at an angle so the front bumper doesn't scrape.
Sounds like the anti roll bar end link on one side, or both might be worn.

Worn links are noisiest when driving over uneven surfaces, i.e. one wheel goes over an imperfection while the other wheel doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:46 AM   #18
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like the anti roll bar end link on one side, or both might be worn.

Worn links are noisiest when driving over uneven surfaces, i.e. one wheel goes over an imperfection while the other wheel doesn't.
It's seriously noisy when driving over uneven pavement or cracked roads. At first I thought it was just the horrible RFT tires, but now I'm afraid it's something suspension wise that need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #19
rlee134
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Audi S4

Quote:

THIS is exactly what i have been experiencing and trying to diagnose -- i have a new set of sway bar end links (are these the same as roll bar end links?) but when i looked at them they werent loose..

but i definitely get some wheel vibration when braking at high speeds and the thud coming out of the driveway. what do you suggest i check first? thanks
2001 Saab 9-5 Aero
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #20
Molarz
Private
Rep

OK this is sort of reviving my current post but driving my car alot today and going over depressions in the road at decent speeds (that somewhat compress the front end)..... I definitely hear more like a SCRAPE/clunk noise. It happens so often that I can't really believe that it is my suspension bottoming out that frequently.

Im wondering whether whether it is sway bar end links or sway bar end bushings? Someone here mentioned the strut tower hat bushing and Iguess it could be that as well?

However, the most notable sound seems to be a definitive SCRAPE or something but my car is so high off the ground I cant see this happening anywhere on the car?

Any other opinions? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #21
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Sounds like a front end issue like a thrust arm bushing. Could also be a blown strut.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #22
Molarz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Sounds like a front end issue like a thrust arm bushing. Could also be a blown strut.
How would I know if it is a blown strut? Any other symptoms to look for indicating something is wrong with my front struts since I need to reuse these struts for my Dinan stg 1 suspension?
Appreciate 0