E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Question for anyone who works in the PRINT INDUSTRY:

12-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #1
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Is it normal these days for printers to charge for producing a proof ?? (offset litho printed wet proof of eight random pages, NOT the whole book)

The story is, when I published my book in 2001, the printers were happy to produce several proofs FOC, until I was happy with the result, I then signed the job off, and the book was printed.

I am currently investigating doing a revised edition/reprint, and as the printers I used in 2001 no longer exist, I picked a printer who seems to print most of the same subject matter and quality of book I want, however they want to charge me £150.00 per proof. Bearing in mind that the original required several adjustments to get the photo and text "balance" right, and the fact that the original format was *Word* and has had to be converted to *PDF* due to current printing technology, I expect there will need to be some adjustments, and at £150.00 a pop that could end up costing a lot of money.

It's not Mills & Boon, or some minor celebrity's biography for the Chavs to buy, so not going to sell millions and make me a fortune, so spending say up to £600-£750.00 on just getting it right, is a lot when compared with the cost of the proposed print run.

Any informed input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Sorry can't help, but whats the book?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

I can't help either but I can't help but noticing that the printers you used who did things for free are no longer in business. I think in most businesses these days that kind of goodwill upfront has gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Sorry can't help, but whats the book?
"Best of the Few", history of 92 Squadron RAF, mainly during the "Battle of Britain".
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
I can't help either but I can't help but noticing that the printers you used who did things for free are no longer in business. I think in most businesses these days that kind of goodwill upfront has gone.
Yes, I agree, bring back the old days, the practice/phrase "speculate to accumulate" seems to have been forgotten these days.

Looks like it may be a Kindle/ebook edition then !
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

Yes, charging for a wet proof is normal. Depending on the press, you're probably looking at over £100 just for the plates let alone the time setting up the machine and other costs just to see a few copies run off.

Ask of they do chromalin proofs or similar, they should have a decent and fairly accurate proofing machine.

The other problem with wet proofs is that things could change when the job goes back on to the press again...it's just a whole load of agro and is it really worth it for you anyway? Most customers that I have that are fussy about colours aren't so fussy when you mention costs and then also wouldn't notice if things were different anyway.
      12-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
Yes, I agree, bring back the old days, the practice/phrase "speculate to accumulate" seems to have been forgotten these days.
Just to add.....it's as simple as time costs money. Print free proofs for you or print a job for a paying customer? If that press is constantly running with paying jobs, to stop it for (possibly multiple) free proofs isn't the sensible option.
      12-07-2014, 03:03 AM   #8
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmondo View Post
Yes, charging for a wet proof is normal. Depending on the press, you're probably looking at over £100 just for the plates let alone the time setting up the machine and other costs just to see a few copies run off.

Ask of they do chromalin proofs or similar, they should have a decent and fairly accurate proofing machine.

The other problem with wet proofs is that things could change when the job goes back on to the press again...it's just a whole load of agro and is it really worth it for you anyway? Most customers that I have that are fussy about colours aren't so fussy when you mention costs and then also wouldn't notice if things were different anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmondo View Post
Just to add.....it's as simple as time costs money. Print free proofs for you or print a job for a paying customer? If that press is constantly running with paying jobs, to stop it for (possibly multiple) free proofs isn't the sensible option.
Thanks for your comments, just what I was after, a current perspective, the book is B&W only, and it is the reproduction of the photographs that concern me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 02:41 AM   #9
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep

Not a problem at all

The fact it is black & white only would reduce the costs of proofing as there is only one plate to make rather than the four for a full colour job.

Having said that, and I usually ask this of my clients when they want a VERY accurate proof.....how important is it? I have some customers that want to spend £500 on a job and ask for a wet proof and when I explain the machine time, wages, material costs, etc. they then understand why I can't do a free wet proof.

I appreciate many people want to get things just right, but some people do go over the top when it comes to getting colours right. I had one solicitor who was a bit up his own arse who complained that his letterheads were not exactly the same as his current ones and he wanted all of his stationery to match. I can appreciate that and we reprinted his job free of charge. I was more than a little annoyed though when I saw his current business cards and compliment slips were a different shade of blue to each other and everything else he had. I wondered how important it really was as nothing matched anyway.

Sorry, not having a dig at you.....just letting off some steam
      12-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I share your pain Desmondo. Have been there many times before.

As Desmondo has already said. The most we would ever do for a client even when a proof is extremely colour critical (one that springs to mind was a flooring company where there were representations of samples on pages, these obviously had to be as accurate as possible) would be a chromalin.

Another option might be to ask about doing a press pass. It's been a few years since i did one but it used to be a case of going to the printers when they had the press all set up to run the full job. You get to check a few as they come off and they can make slight adjustments if you aren't happy. I've never known there to be any extra cost involved with this as it's not a case of the machine being set up just to run a few. The whole run will go through on that set up. My disclaimer is that I also only ever did this on full colour jobs.
      12-11-2014, 02:26 AM   #11
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I share your pain Desmondo. Have been there many times before.

As Desmondo has already said. The most we would ever do for a client even when a proof is extremely colour critical (one that springs to mind was a flooring company where there were representations of samples on pages, these obviously had to be as accurate as possible) would be a chromalin.

Another option might be to ask about doing a press pass. It's been a few years since i did one but it used to be a case of going to the printers when they had the press all set up to run the full job. You get to check a few as they come off and they can make slight adjustments if you aren't happy. I've never known there to be any extra cost involved with this as it's not a case of the machine being set up just to run a few. The whole run will go through on that set up. My disclaimer is that I also only ever did this on full colour jobs.
Thanks for that, it's another option that I can enquire about .
Appreciate 0