E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Issues with updating to 2013 Navi Maps

11-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
FutureBSD
Rep
Drives: E93 325i

Question Issues with updating to 2013 Navi Maps

Hey everyone

around 1-1.5y back I retrofitted my E93 09/2008 on my own. I was quite happy with it, even it I'M still having some problem with it until today.
One of the things is, that I never had the time to get navigation maps on my device, so now, with the 2013 maps being released I ordered the original set of disks from BMW and tried to update the maps (well, load maps on the device at all, as there are no maps right now).
Usually it should be easy. Give it the disk (Europe Premium), it shows if it shall update the maps, enter the code and there you go.

I'm inserting the disk but nothing really happens. I tried copying the disks to USB, no success, burned another set that I got somewhere, tried it, no success.

I know that it reads DVDs as I'm able to insert a Video DVD and can hear the music play, even when I'm not able to see the movie (that's the other pending issue I have).

Does anyone of you have an idea what might be wrong here?
Just a few weeks ago I heard that some retrofit kids sold directly from a dealer in Munich are being disabled without having the chance to reactive it. In another forum I read that this might be possible with aftermarket software (tools32 maybe?)

When I tried to read the VIN out of the CIC. The following happened:

Starting...E-serie...
Ediabas version: 7.2.0
Ignition: = OKAY
------------------------------------
Trying...
Reading CAS...
CAS: VIN - P1xxxxx
Setting addresse: = OKAY
Reading CIC...
CIC: VIN - VFxxxxx
Attention! Different VIN codes!
Use CIC one.
System.Exception: IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT

Total bytes: 0
Creating file VFxxxxx_001B0001.fsc
Writing file...Ok!

Do I have to recode the car with other settings, as it doesn't seem to get a response from the controlunit?

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
j0ckinjz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Where did you get the retrofit from? Just parted it yourself?

I know bimmertech sells the CIC retrofit with activation methods, did you ever activate yours? Also, navigation updates for CIC need activation codes.

I am new to e90s and don't even own mine yet, but I've been doing a lot of research and that's all i've seen about CIC and navi.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
FutureBSD
Rep

Hey,

I got the CIC computer, display + controler from eBay (Dealer from Munich).
Found a list of cables that are required to get the retrofit completed somewhere on the internet. So I ordered the cables for a few bucks directly from BMW.
For the activation part I'm using an adapter from bimmerretrofit, which also includes VIM (that's why I'm wondering why I can't see the video of the DVDs).
And, of course, I have the activation codes for the map updates as well.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
FutureBSD
Rep

Hi Guys,

I heard that CICs from Alpine won't accept european maps as they are developed for the asian market. Is this true?
Do I need a Harman Becker version to be able to use it with european maps?
Appreciate 0