E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Insanely hard water spots – How to remove?

05-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #23
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
bump
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #24
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
For any who were wondering, I did end up using Scratch X and put more work using it than I ever had before, and only then did it start to come off, so yes it does work.

That being said, I'm not about to do that for the entire car, I'll just wait to get a buffer and buff it out for good. Hope this helps!

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #25
npb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BS 335i

usually products with a strong citrus base will eat away at the calcium buildup but wash it off promptly
      05-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #26
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M2CS, M5CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
For any who were wondering, I did end up using Scratch X and put more work using it than I ever had before, and only then did it start to come off, so yes it does work.

That being said, I'm not about to do that for the entire car, I'll just wait to get a buffer and buff it out for good. Hope this helps!
I'm in the same boat with some recent spots I've run into.

Anyone see any worries with using the Scratch X on the entire vehicle. More specifically, is it safe for wide-spread use or is it something that is supposed to be used conservatively in small areas?

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the product or its abrasiveness...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #27
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Water Spots on the Rear Glass

I have recently noticed that my rear window is covered with what appears to be water spots. They are really noticeable at night when headlights shine into the rear. Also are noticeable at dusk and dawn.

I have tried (only one time for about 5 minutes) using Meguiars clay and QD and it does not appear to help.

Do I need to work the area more throughly? Should I use a glass polish? What else should I try??

Thanks

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #28
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Try CG waterspot remover.
///Mods: Xpel front clip wrap, Nokya 2500k H8 halos, matte grills, IND reflectors, scoops, MS drop-in, MS track pipes, Dinan exhaust, 240E, ESS tune, BBS CHR, s04 255x35 295x30, KW Clubsports, ceramic pads
Retired: 08' E92 328i JB 6mt 212 rwhp 190 rwtq
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #29
ChuckBimmer
Liv'n the Dream
Rep
Drives: '08 335

I had the same problem with water spots. The painters were washing down the house an when I opened the garage a bunch of dirty water dripped on to my vehicle. I did not notice it until several hours later. I did not want to cause any swirls. I had to use clay and then polish it off with PC using IP, PO106ff.
Future: CAI
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #30
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
What is "CG"?

What does "CG" stand for? Where can I purchase it.

Thanks

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #31
ChuckBimmer
Liv'n the Dream
Rep
Drives: '08 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post
What does "CG" stand for? Where can I purchase it.

Thanks

Wallyf
CG - Chemical Guy.

Purchase: detailedimage.com
Future: CAI
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #32
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
CG defined

Chuckbimmer,

Thanks for the info.

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #33
pro detail
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

You Have to BUFF it Out
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 01:29 AM   #34
pro detail
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaux View Post
I got some hard water spots on my car recently as well.
Would the P21S Total Auto Wash work on hard water spots?
Sometimes depend on the water spots how harsh it is
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #35
pro detail
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I have recently noticed that my rear window is covered with what appears to be water spots. They are really noticeable at night when headlights shine into the rear. Also are noticeable at dusk and dawn.

I have tried (only one time for about 5 minutes) using Meguiars clay and QD and it does not appear to help.

Do I need to work the area more throughly? Should I use a glass polish? What else should I try??

Thanks

Wallyf
raiser blade
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #36
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:

Thanks

Wallyf
Any chemical cleaner will do it. Klasse AIO, Werkstatt Prime, CG waterspot remover. You're going to need some elbow grease, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #37
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
^^ 1Z Einszett Glas Polish does a great job (by hand) with not much elbow grease.

07-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #38
mrslayer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011

Smile water stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
So, I usually do my own car washing and such, but apparently my garage sprung a leak somewhere and the last rain that came got my car wet. I put it off for a few days before I had time to wash it.

Unfortunately, when I did, I saw the hard water spots that remained on the car. Regular car wash soap couldn't remove it, polish couldn't remove it, and clay bar couldn't remove it.

I haven't yet invested in a buffer, but is that the only thing that can possibly get it off?

No pictures, because it just looks like any other hard water spot. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!
use comet green container bleach in water rub on and wash off it works easy
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #39
mrslayer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011

to remove water stain on glass and car use comet bleach it is scratch free mix with water rub on and wash off it work for me it comes in green container buy it in supper market
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #40
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

For glass, vinegar and water mix along with some 0000 steel wool.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #41
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

There are two categories of water mark (the so-called water spots)

Stage I (Surface) Corrosion
[: defined as a surface with light to moderate corrosion damage to the paint surface]

Stage II (Sub-surface) Corrosion
[: definition when the dirt/corrosion deposits are no longer on the surface but have started to break down the molecular structure, leaving an etched or white haze on the surface( a concave circular mark ) after the stain has been removed, with moderate to serious paint damage]

a) Surface water spots- (Stage I Corrosion) alkaline watermarks consist of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) both of which are basic (alkaline pH 10) that alight on the surface; ultra violet (heat) radiation (UVR) will leave a white ‘water mark’, the minute crystals bond to the surface, they will not wash off as they are insoluble and if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark, remove surface deposits with detailer’s clay and an acetic acid pH 2.0 (vinegar) to naturalise the alkaline

b) Below surface (etched) spots- (Stage II Corrosion ) are caused by an aggressive alkaline or an acidic solution (acid rain, bird excrement or industrial fallout) causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. Unlike water spots which typically have a white outline of the spot, acid rain etching is smaller and you can see the damage in the clear coat.

Inspect the surface etching under magnification, and then you will be able to assess the damage. Magnification will allow you to view paint flaws in perfect detail. View the edges of acid rain or water spot damage, and the hard-to-see depth of scratches. Only then, you will be able to assess the real damage. The edge should be levelled, which will make the etched depression almost invisible.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #42
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

i've had water spots that not even 203s on a white pad would take care of.

i suppose i should call them acid spots, cause it had to be pretty bad acid rain to etch that deep
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #43
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBimmer View Post
CG - Chemical Guy.

Purchase: detailedimage.com
Or directly from CG.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #44
bchcky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

BUMP

I'm having a similar problem to all those listed above. My car is under a car port at my apartment complex, and the building maintenance guy for some reason decides that when he's watering the lawn occasionally, the sprinkler needs to spray far enough so that it waters down the entire passenger side of my car.

I just tried washing this afternoon. Scrubbed and rinsed the passenger side a solid 5 times. It is a little bit better, but when you run your hands over the car, you can still feel water spots all over. It is particularly noticeable on the windows when looking out while sitting in it. Bothers the hell out of me.

This water vinegar mix you all talk about, what are we talking? 50/50? And is this only safe for windows? Apply with a cloth and rinse?
Appreciate 0