E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Still getting paid after quitting job

11-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR / F06 M6

Garage List
Still getting paid after quitting job

I just noticed in my bank account that I was still getting direct deposit payments after quitting my job about a month and a half ago. I figured that the witholding payments would have already been done already. Has anyone had this happen to them before and what did you do about it?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Garden leave?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Had this happen to me. Called and asked why I was still receiving checks. Someone in finance made a mistake. They took the money back rather quickly. Apparently it was just a mistake up front, not sure if your situation is as simple as mine was though.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Never had it happen but +1 to what Billup said. Someone has F'd up but they will find the mistake and come back to you for their money. I would not go spending this cash because sooner or later you will be paying them back. Best to call and give them the heads up and get it corrected ASAP...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The payroll people forgot to remove you.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Wow it's like the opposite of Office Space

Yeah call them immediately, they will appreciate your professionalism.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Wow it's like the opposite of Office Space

Yeah call them immediately, they will appreciate your professionalism.
x2 lol

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 xDrive35i, '13 Mustang

Severance pay? When I got laid off back in 2009 I was on a 2 month severance plan and was still able to collect unemployment, though since you quit, I doubt they'll give you severance. As others have said, don't spend the money until you get down to the bottom of things. BTW, do you have the red stapler still haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39lolz View Post
Severance pay? When I got laid off back in 2009 I was on a 2 month severance plan and was still able to collect unemployment, though since you quit, I doubt they'll give you severance. As others have said, don't spend the money until you get down to the bottom of things. BTW, do you have the red stapler still haha.
OP indicates that he quit, not that he was laid off....
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

oh man, i'd go back to that company and tell them that you're ready to fill the accounting position that is about to open up......
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
oh man, i'd go back to that company and tell them that you're ready to fill the accounting position that is about to open up......
lol

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Reimbursement for unused vacation or PTO?
      11-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Reimbursement for unused vacation or PTO?
I had used all of my vacation that I accrued already. I don't think I had any other PTO. I doubt they do any severance pay for voluntary resignation. The company is a huge global company that is very decentralized. I could never figure out how the whole company structure worked even though I was there for nearly a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi319 View Post
I had used all of my vacation that I accrued already. I don't think I had any other PTO. I doubt they do any severance pay for voluntary resignation. The company is a huge global company that is very decentralized. I could never figure out how the whole company structure worked even though I was there for nearly a year.
Larger company, larger room for error. Depending on how many people are actually staffed, supervisors, etc., it is fairly easy for someone in finance to not take you off payroll, and for no one to notice for a while. This is usually noticed faster with smaller companies that do not have a large amount of employees.

I highly suggest you contact them, and don't spend a dime that isn't yours. You will only make problems that you won't want.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Larger company, larger room for error. Depending on how many people are actually staffed, supervisors, etc., it is fairly easy for someone in finance to not take you off payroll, and for no one to notice for a while. This is usually noticed faster with smaller companies that do not have a large amount of employees.

I highly suggest you contact them, and don't spend a dime that isn't yours. You will only make problems that you won't want.
I keep seeing this advise. What can they do about it? They issued the guy a check. He didn't receive the check in the mail, it was direct deposited. I don't think the OP is responsible for following up with their accounting department to make sure they stopped his salary.

That being said, OP should act in the same way as he would want one of his employees to act should he have been the owner of this company.

But i am curious as to what, if anything they can do about this. Maybe if he signed a resignation letter or something, but i don't see them having much recourse other than court or the OP's good nature to collect on their mistake.
      11-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Mr Tonka, we will have to get the local lawyers to chime in on this from a legal perspective but the OP did not earn the money and it was mistakenly deposited into his account. If/when the company discovers the error they can/should be able to recoup the money as it is not legally his. Just as the employee is legally able to collect an underpayment, the employer is allowed to collect for overpayments. But I am not a lawyer so I'll let someone else handle the technicalities!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
I keep seeing this advise. What can they do about it? They issued the guy a check. He didn't receive the check in the mail, it was direct deposited. I don't think the OP is responsible for following up with their accounting department to make sure they stopped his salary.

That being said, OP should act in the same way as he would want one of his employees to act should he have been the owner of this company.

But i am curious as to what, if anything they can do about this. Maybe if he signed a resignation letter or something, but i don't see them having much recourse other than court or the OP's good nature to collect on their mistake.
I believe each state has employment laws regarding incidental overpayments and payback. Kind of like people who got overpaid in benefits, end up getting put on a payment plan to pay back what should not have been dealt out. I actually had this happen where they felt I was overpaid in benefits, and I still ended up having to pay back $2,000 that I thought should have rightfully been mine. I was lucky that I was allowed to get on a payment plan, but in the end, if they find the money is missing, legal steps can be made.
With that being said, when I found out I was overpaid after I quit my job, I just sucked it up and called in and this company thanked me and took the money back with no issues.

Granted this was all in Michigan, so it may be irrelevant to OP's state.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I wrote a resignation letter with a date of resignation to my old boss. Both he and I signed it. I then had an exit interview form from HR I filled out and also had a phone interview with her. I left the company due to the unfair treatment and personal attacks from the boss. On the exit interview I told the HR manager the reasoning of my departure. I had a job lined up already so I did not care about using them as a reference.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Eventually when they review their financials (monthly, quarterly, whatever), someone will see the error. They will make contact with him if at all possible. If they can't, I would guess they will send it to a collections agency. If it's a big company, they will probably get the money back, it's only a matter of time.

The Army does this to Soldiers all the time. People that get overpaid (i.e. are evacuated from theater for some reason and their hazardous duty/combat pay doesn't stop when it should) get notified that they were overpaid. The Army straight up takes it back from your account on file for direct deposit. They will take it back over a period of time if it's a lot and you don't have it, or you can go in and give them a lump sum if you saved the overpayment. I understand it may be quite different in the civilian sector, but I wouldn't spend that money...

The easiest thing to do is just call them and tell them they screwed up and then give them the money back. Unless you already spent it, then you're SOL.

The worst advice to give this guy would be to tell him to let it go and go on a shopping spree...
      11-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi319 View Post
I wrote a resignation letter with a date of resignation to my old boss. Both he and I signed it. I then had an exit interview form from HR I filled out and also had a phone interview with her. I left the company due to the unfair treatment and personal attacks from the boss. On the exit interview I told the HR manager the reasoning of my departure. I had a job lined up already so I did not care about using them as a reference.
Again, since you both signed your resignation date, if you don't notify them, they will get it back. Especially since they have dates and signatures from you an your employer dating your exit, its like signing any other contract. It doesn't matter why you left, its the date you left, and you were overpaid. This is coming from someone who was overpaid, and had to pay it back.

Spend it and pay it back, or just call them and do the right thing to make life easier.

Good luck in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

All valid points. I'm just curious what their recourse is other than court or collections.

And OP, before you go on a shopping spree, send me 25% for online consulting fees.

Maybe this is "hush" money of sorts so you don't get legal on their asses. ??