E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sirius radio complaint

01-05-2006, 06:02 AM   #1
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Sirius radio complaint

Please pardon this rant, however since BMW NA elected to partner with Sirius for sat rad, I think it is at least remotely pertinent. At the same time Sirius began broadcasting Howard Stern <yuk> they apparently dropped Fox News! I surmise that this is a last ditch effort by Sirius "management(?)" to remain afloat financially. Wonder if the Sirius receiver installed by BMW can be programmed to receive XM signals preferably now or at least after Sirius goes under?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

I would think that XM and Sirius have mutually exclusive, proprietary signals, and one's radios can't be modified to pick up the other's signals.

And I think you underestimate Mel Karmazin.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Tater is right, XM & Sirius are completely different technologies. He's also right in that you are underestimating Mel Karmazin. He's the primary reason I bought SIRI stock.

Considering that you are from TX and that you actually miss FOX News, I'm assuming you're one of the Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, GWB Supporters. If that's the case, then I believe Sirius has a right-wing station which is probably very similar to FOX News.

For the record, I've been a Stern listener for over 20 years. With him on board, Sirius is FAR from a company ready for bankruptcy. That is, unless the FCC & Congress find a way to censor paid subscription service as well.

But I digress...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Count me as another annoyed Sirius listener...why do they need two CNN stations? They already have BBC and NPR as well. Maybe there is some sort of petition somewhere?
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

it still amazes me that some right wing wacko's see the stern name on anything and assume the whole thing is bad/evil

those are the same people who have never listened, and will never listen because they've heard rumors about how awful it was

aren't you guys excited about the virgin sacrifice stern's going to do on his first day, or how he'll do nothing but say the F word for 4 hours

get with the program people
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
First, there is no way you can reprogram a Sirius radio to receive XM, any more than a Verizon phone could be used for a Nextel account. There is a proprietary chipset inside.

I think your best recourse is to complain to Sirius. If enough subscribers want a service they will certainly consider providing it.

I'm a big Stern fan (actually have met him a couple times) so I could care less about the news channels, but that is why there are so many channels - something for everyone!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep

This just in today regarding SIRI stock.

NEW YORK, Jan 5 (Reuters) - Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. (SIRI,Trade) said on Thursday that it plans to issue 34,375,000 shares of its common stock to its new radio personality Howard Stern and his agent Don Buchwald.

In the company's October 2004 agreement with Stern, Sirius agreed to deliver the shares in December 2010, or earlier if at the end of any fiscal year it had exceeded agreed upon subscriber targets.

On Dec. 31 the subscriber target was surpassed.

The shares will be issued Jan. 9.

In other words, Sirius hoped Stern would reach his target by 2010, and when he did he'd receive his bonus. He reached the target before he's even been on the air at Sirius
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
it still amazes me that some right wing wacko's see the stern name on anything and assume the whole thing is bad/evil

those are the same people who have never listened, and will never listen because they've heard rumors about how awful it was

aren't you guys excited about the virgin sacrifice stern's going to do on his first day, or how he'll do nothing but say the F word for 4 hours

get with the program people
I missed the post where a right wing wacko assumed Sirius was bad because Stern was on it.

I want Stern AND O'Reilly. Mostly, I want to have problem free music.

Ward, your left coast mentality is clouding your reading skills.

edit: BTW, I first heard Stern in 1984(?) in New York. I was stunned, he was so funny. Definitly not for everyone.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven24
This just in today regarding SIRI stock.

NEW YORK, Jan 5 (Reuters) - Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. (SIRI,Trade) said on Thursday that it plans to issue 34,375,000 shares of its common stock to its new radio personality Howard Stern and his agent Don Buchwald.

In the company's October 2004 agreement with Stern, Sirius agreed to deliver the shares in December 2010, or earlier if at the end of any fiscal year it had exceeded agreed upon subscriber targets.

On Dec. 31 the subscriber target was surpassed.

The shares will be issued Jan. 9.

In other words, Sirius hoped Stern would reach his target by 2010, and when he did he'd receive his bonus. He reached the target before he's even been on the air at Sirius
A $200+ million bonus... wow.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep

On Jan 9th Howard & agent Don Buchwald get 34,375,000 shares of SIRI (which is $223 mil worth of stock based on a current trading price of around $6.50).

Hypothetically...

It's not out of the question that the stock could double in 5 years. It would then be worth $446mil. Half a billion dollars in BONUS. Consider that he also is receiving a salary of $100mil per year for 5 years, or... CHA CHING... another half billion dollars.

In the end, Howard Stern (& agent) have a very distinct possibility of having (in my best Dr.Evil Voice) ONE BILLION DOLLARS in their pockets in 5 years.

And here I am negotiating a $50k car with my salesman. Ugh! Love him, or hate him... Howard Stern is definately the biggest name in radio.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #11
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
First, there is no way you can reprogram a Sirius radio to receive XM, any more than a Verizon phone could be used for a Nextel account. There is a proprietary chipset inside.
In my E46, which came with a stock BMW Sirius Satellite-ready headunit, I installed an XM Direct box (hidden in the trunk) and listen to nothing BUT XM. When powered on, the headunit says "Sirius" for about two seconds, and then switches to "XM" once the emulation has locked in.

So . . . yes, it can be done. The question is whether there will ever be an XM Direct box for the e90.

Also, my wife's e90 is pumping Sirius, and I'm liking it just fine -- especially during Football season!!! Go 'Skins!!

Mike
      01-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
Also, my wife's e90 is pumping Sirius, and I'm liking it just fine -- especially during Football season!!! Go 'Skins!!

Mike
Ahhh... Go 'Skins. I'm a die-hard Eagles fan, so this season was a joke. You might be interested in this little fact:

For the last 5 years, the team that the Eagles played in their last regular season game have gone on to the Superbowl that year. The Eagles last regular season opponent this year?

The Redskins.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh... Go 'Skins. I'm a die-hard Eagles fan, so this season was a joke. You might be interested in this little fact:

For the last 5 years, the team that the Eagles played in their last regular season game have gone on to the Superbowl that year. The Eagles last regular season opponent this year?

The Redskins.

An interesting little tidbit. I hope it continues.

I went to college in Philadelphia (well . . . Villanova) and it was hard being a Redskins fan up there with you Eagles nutcases.
I'd like to say better luck next year but . . . NOT
      01-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

XM does have a bunch more channels. I was doing some comparisons. I may wait for an "XM direct" solution.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #15
ben1364
Captain
Rep

My original post made no reference to politics and I was surprised at some of the comments that it generated. I was particularly surprised by the comment by our friend from CA as follows, "still amazes me that some right wing wacko's see the stern name on anything and assume the whole thing is bad/evil those are the same people who have never listened, and will never listen because they've heard rumors about how awful it was aren't you guys excited about the virgin sacrifice stern's going to do on his first day, or how he'll do nothing but say the F word for 4 hours get with the program people"

He is perhaps correct that some people don't like Mr. Stern based on what they have heard from others. I have listened to Mr. Stern and do not find foul language entertaining. Does that make me a "right wing wacko"?

I appreciate the information that the Sirius receiver cannot be modified to receive the other sat rad service. If I cannot receive Fox News via Sirius, I will simply do without sat rad until I replace the car or buy another receiver. I wish Sirius all due success and am sure they can do without me as a subscriber.
Cheers...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #16
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
Please pardon this rant, however since BMW NA elected to partner with Sirius for sat rad, I think it is at least remotely pertinent. At the same time Sirius began broadcasting Howard Stern <yuk> they apparently dropped Fox News! I surmise that this is a last ditch effort by Sirius "management(?)" to remain afloat financially. Wonder if the Sirius receiver installed by BMW can be programmed to receive XM signals preferably now or at least after Sirius goes under?
Howard Stern ROCKS
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #17
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the information that the Sirius receiver cannot be modified to receive the other sat rad service.
Cheers...
But do see my (apolitical) post that indicates that, at least in the e46, the receiver certainly CAN be modified to receive XM. It's probably just a matter of time before they develop XM Direct for the e90. Don't lose hope (in either the ability to receive XM in your car, or the ability of members of this forum to post intelligent and responsive answers).
Good luck my friend.
Mike
      01-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
ben1364
Captain
Rep

Thanks Kimo {Mike}. I will look into a conversion unless Sirius resubscribes to Fox News. You wrote in part, "Don't lose hope (in either the ability to receive XM in your car, or the ability of members of this forum to post intelligent and responsive answers).
Good luck my friend."

I appreciate your kind words.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #19
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Kimo {Mike}. I will look into a conversion unless Sirius resubscribes to Fox News. You wrote in part, "Don't lose hope (in either the ability to receive XM in your car, or the ability of members of this forum to post intelligent and responsive answers).
Good luck my friend."

I sent a request to Sirius to sign up Fox News. I'm sure it will be available in a matter of days.

See my post on the Blitzsafe XM adapter, which uses the CD changer cable. I'm going to start looking for the CD changer connectors. I don't have a changer, but do have nav. That site says it wont work with nav, but I don't see why Sirius would work though.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #20
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
An interesting little tidbit. I hope it continues.

I went to college in Philadelphia (well . . . Villanova) and it was hard being a Redskins fan up there with you Eagles nutcases.
I'd like to say better luck next year but . . . NOT
I will agree that many Philly fans get carried away. Just last week Clinton Portis' mother had to be removed from the stands because fans threw stuff at her. Completely uncalled for & it gives "normal" Philly fans a bad name.

I'd wish your Redskins well, but I'm on my way out the door. Planning a big night of throwing snowballs at Santa and cheering the replay of Michael Irvin's injury at the Vet. Yahoo.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep

Quote:
Good luck my friend."

For what it's worth, you may want to contact Fox News. For example, it may not be Sirius that is dropping Fox News, but Fox News dropping Sirius. The NHL is on Sirius now, but in 2007 it won't be. Not because Sirius doesn't want them, but because XM offered more money.

Could be true for Fox News as well.

By the way, I also apologize for starting the whole political undertone. My original intentions were meant to point you to similar programming on Sirius.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #22
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For what it's worth, you may want to contact Fox News. For example, it may not be Sirius that is dropping Fox News, but Fox News dropping Sirius. The NHL is on Sirius now, but in 2007 it won't be. Not because Sirius doesn't want them, but because XM offered more money.

Could be true for Fox News as well.

By the way, I also apologize for starting the whole political undertone. My original intentions were meant to point you to similar programming on Sirius.
Could be that when XM signs, they want exclusive rights, so Fox has to dump Sirius.

Fair and Balanced!
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0