E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Carwash Let Water In My Car

04-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #23
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I once left the sunroof an windows open under the rain( more accurately the stupid window roll down activated in my pocket while seating) . Baking sodda really helps with the smell. powder wait it to dry, vacuum.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
SanquintinB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My feet!

I agree on the baking soda. Take out all of your carpets and let them soak in baking soda for a day, same with the carpet. And if your headliner got wet/stinks, what I did when I left my sunroof open once on my Honda was I got a soft bristled tooth brush and brushed the liner with some baking soda and stuck a couple packs of silica gel in between the sunroof window and the sliding door on the headliner. Burned matches also do a wonder at eliminating smells. Grab a box matches and sit inside your car, light a few and let them burn for a few seconds, then blow them out and let the white smoke pour out inside the car. Do that a few times with 2-3 matches at a time with the windows and doors closed, be careful not to drop any ash or burn anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensaur View Post
Bro, you have the best luck ever...

Jokes aside, you should be fine. Dry the mats outside, leave windows open, maybe spray some febreeze, and you can also shampoo/condition your seats
Sounds like mildew, that is not fine imho. I would say the interior has to come out and the carpeting replaced. I'm sure the car wash has legalese that would state they're not responsible. I'm always against leasing, but I would say that would be the best possible scenario for the OP, at least it's not his car that this happened to, and there is a finite time for which he has to put up with the smell....I'd take the car wash to small claims and state the action was willful. Their legalese won't cover that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
cultr3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mikel1 View Post
I wouldn't worry much about corrosion, it would be difficult to spray water directly onto the electrical connectors.
It might be hard to spray water directly onto electrical connectors, but wouldnt' a high speed air gun *push* water to the connectors? I know that when using a electric leaf blower to dry the car, it pushes the water into all kinds of nooks and crannies that it wouldn't usually go with a regular wash and dry... so blowing water on the exterior make sense since you push the water down to the ground along body panels, but it's possible air gun on the interior makes the surface look dry by pushing the water else where, like into all the cracks in the trim, into the mirror switch instead of ON it, etc...

I'd be giving the car wash place hell... in the mean time leaving bags of rice in the car soaking up all the moisture...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

You have to take your Dad with you to resolve this?!?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

If it does develop a smell you could try ozone treatments. Buy an ozone generator or buy pre filled cans. I would recommend the small generator as you could continue to treat as necessary.
      04-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHundreds View Post
I just checked my car, it smells terrible inside, I can't deal with this right now. I just purchased a 55k BMW, and I'm not trying to have a bad smelling car with anything that's messed up. Frankly, I am extremely angry... What are some solutions
If it smells, you've got work to do. Biggest risk is mold which not only stinks but is very unhealthy and hard to get rid of if allowed to settle in. If you have any smell at all, windows and doors should be opened wide with a big shop fan blowing air through it.

The guy at the carwash who used compressed air didn't do much to get rid of any water on the interior. He just moved it around. A large shop vac pressed firmly into the carpet and any other areas where water may have collected should do the trick. If you have standing water below the carpet, you need to get it out ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #30
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Once car has fully dried get some leather conditioner to help with the smell & your sanity. Leatherique, gliptone etc
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
Jay_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
Wow, yea i'd be pissed too. Not sure if you have any recourse if there's any damage because of the water that shows up later on.
I'd say unless it was totally soaked that you should just let it air dry and it should be ok.

Hopefully they didn't pressure wash the interior like the video below.

what....why...
Appreciate 0