E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Maintenance Warrantee Worth it? $2k

02-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markanthony3210 View Post
Also, I drive about 90 miles a week, 360 miles a month, 4,300 miles a year. What are your thoughts judging from my mileage?
Your mileage is super low. Which only strengthens the point of not buying a BMW maintenance further. More than that though, I would think it depends on how much of a tech-savvy person you are.

Do you freak out when one fine morning the check engine suddenly goes off and can't stand it without having the dealer diagnose it for you and tell you that everything is going to be okay?

Or, are you the kind that will keep calm, observe any changes, consult forums like this one, take a few opinions and make the best decision financially, and for the car.

Since you are already here, I am assuming you are the latter, in which case, you should be fine without the warranty.

But like I said, if you need that sudden peace of mind, then warranty will probably give you the extra assurance. That sentimental weakness is what the dealers make money off anyways
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized View Post
Your mileage is super low. Which only strengthens the point of not buying a BMW maintenance further. More than that though, I would think it depends on how much of a tech-savvy person you are.

Do you freak out when one fine morning the check engine suddenly goes off and can't stand it without having the dealer diagnose it for you and tell you that everything is going to be okay?

Or, are you the kind that will keep calm, observe any changes, consult forums like this one, take a few opinions and make the best decision financially, and for the car.

Since you are already here, I am assuming you are the latter, in which case, you should be fine without the warranty.

But like I said, if you need that sudden peace of mind, then warranty will probably give you the extra assurance. That sentimental weakness is what the dealers make money off anyways
Well said
keep $$$$$$$$ and buy some nice clothes,shoes and cologens and sit in your BMW and enjoy nice car & nice clothes and feel good
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #25
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI e90

Wow, thanks guys. You guys are a awesome support beam. It feels nice to be apart of a community that cares
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

Quote:
Wow, thanks guys. You guys are a awesome support beam. It feels nice to be apart of a community that cares
I bought the maintenance plan. Thinking I'd be spending hundreds of dollars every 5,000 miles. BMW doesn't have dedicated maintenance schedules like other cars but rather rely on the car itself to tell you. Needless to say, I'm trying to cancel it.
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
401FlaGATOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i ZSP, F30 320i ZSP

Mark Anthony,

I hadn't considered you'd be driving less than 5000 miles.. In that case I would not get the maintenance plan and use a qualified indy (that your warranty will recognize) or go to the dealership for routine maintenance.. Heck in that small space of mileage you could go a year and only need an oil change!

I would still consider extended warranties if they are priced right as the biggest cause for worry is not really maintenance but unkown repair costs.. The evap repair alone that I had done at the dealership was $2800 and I think Indy will charge around $1500 +/-300. The repair costs I have experienced to 100k miles(and I don't abuse the car, just drive 56 mile commute, M-F) outweigh the 'dealership' maintenance costs by a factor of about 5 or 6.

Some of the things that have failed on my E90 325i to 100k miles:

water pump
valve cover gasket
oil pan leak
driver side lock actuator
various window actuators (rear windows most of the time)
various RFT flat tire replacements (replaced under warranty)
radio
evaporator (most expensive of them all)
other stuff....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #28
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWUltimateDriv3r View Post
Statistically, it won't be worth it.
This! If it were worth it and you were to obtain a total service that exceeds 2k then BMW NA is no longer making money and loosing on the waranty. Do you think they are in business to loose money. The warantys are designed for them to win and for you to loose, but have a reassurance that BMW is there for you if you need them

I say skip the warranty. I mean how many brakes and oil changes do you need to exceed the life of the warranty or the car or 2k dollars.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #29
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
This! If it were worth it and you were to obtain a total service that exceeds 2k then BMW NA is no longer making money and loosing on the waranty. Do you think they are in business to loose money. The warantys are designed for them to win and for you to loose, but have a reassurance that BMW is there for you if you need them

I say skip the warranty. I mean how many brakes and oil changes do you need to exceed the life of the warranty or the car or 2k dollars.
I agree.

My ignorance for signing up.. $2500 mistake
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #30
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubzeroVR4 View Post
I agree.

My ignorance for signing up.. $2500 mistake
How long have you had the car for? And how much did you have to use the maintenance warrantee each year?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So here is my advice. Almost anyone under 50 years old is tech savvy enough to learn how to use a scan tool and probably owns a laptop or smart phone to use as the hardware platform for the scan tool.

Get a scan tool. Scan the car regularly. If the service engine soon light illuminates, then plug the scan tool in and read it. It's as simple as a $49 OBDII reader, or more expensive for a BMW-compatible scan tool (I recommend a BMW scan tool over just an OBDII).

Read the DIY and maintenance section of this Forum and/or get the Bentley service manual so you can learn about how the car operates, and where the problem areas are.

Armed with this information, you don't need to give away money for a pre-paid maintenance plan (you are just giving money to BMW so they can finance the business), and go to an independent BMW service shop for regular maintenance and to them also for unexpected repairs. If you take some time to learn and understand how your car works you are less likely to be ripped off by people who you take the car to for service and repairs.

Cars are not that difficult to understand how they work. You don't need to be mechanically inclined to understand how the various systems function. Learning how cars function will help you throughout the rest of your life. It only makes sense to try and fully understand something you use that takes a lot of financial investment and can endanger your life if not kept in proper working order.

Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #32
CUTigers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [10.00]
2008 e90 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 401FlaGATOR
PaI don't know about maintenance but I would recommend getting extended warranty to 100k miles. I paid $2200 for my extended warranty and got $12,500 in dealership repairs and tire replacements. Just the evaporator repair alone paid the ext. warranty cost.. u might want to consider the maintenance plan because this way all the responsibility lies with the dealership. There won't be any blame games..
How did you get them to buy you tires under maint plan? When it isn't even covered under the 4 yr new car warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #33
CUTigers
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [10.00]
2008 e90 335i  [9.00]
The only reason I had the maint plan was because it was thrown in for free for that month of the CPO promos, I literally used the maint plan for some stupid wipers, filters, and oil changes. Didnt even get brakes out of it. With your very little mileage, I doubt you will get new pads and rotors under the time of the plan, unless it is already close to needing them. The extended warranty is def worth the money IMO, had thousands and thousands of dollars repaired under it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #34
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Totally worth it! Had a control arm replaced and was burning oil so they replaced some oil seals (can't remember exactly) but that alone was about 2k of work done. Lastly, if you plan on selling your vehicle it's much more attractive with an active warranty
      02-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #35
CUTigers
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [10.00]
2008 e90 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbim
Totally worth it! Had a control arm replaced and was burning oil so they replaced some oil seals (can't remember exactly) but that alone was about 2k of work done. Lastly, if you plan on selling your vehicle it's much more attractive with an active warranty
Wouldn't this be under extended warranty? And not the maintenance plan?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #36
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
  1. If you're 6MT, make sure your dealer covers the clutch. Some dealers wont, mine does. I'm on my 2nd right now. As my SA told me, any sign of slipping they will change your clutch to a new one which is nice.

I mainly only got it for the clutch...
Same here, it was the clutch disc coverage that did it for me, otherwise I would have declined. Plus I drive about 12k miles a year. I'm at 51.5k now. I expect to put 24k on between the start and end of the 24 months of coverage.

I don't see how a car with 300 lb/ft of torque, driven enthusiastically in a mixed city/highway environment is not going to need a clutch before 75k.

spiike32, at what mileage did your clutch need replacement?

Had my front brakes/rotors not needed replacement at 49.8k miles, they would have been replaced under the maintenance plan. So I could have very easily have had that covered. Ditto for the fluid change, I got them to do it a month early since it would have been covered anyway.

Rear brakes say 18k to go but they are very "squeaky". Does anyone know if I can get them to change them out if the rotors are worn below spec? Pads were changed once before at 25k.

But how can some dealers not cover the clutch? It explicitly says "clutch disc" is covered. I could see them trying to hit you up for a new flywheel, but the clutch disc (and pressure plate, I assume) plus labor should be covered.

I've heard that if you get the PPK software, the CBS will call for oil changes every 7.5k instead of 15k. Can anyone confirm this?

BTW, it pisses me off that they cover "manual transmission oil" on "selected models" meaning M models only. My car has the same transmission as a 6MT E92 M3 but somehow my trans oil is "lifetime" and the M3's only lasts 30k?

For Sale: 2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Sport / M-Technic / no iDrive / Black Sapphire / Black Dakota Leather, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, 19" VMR VB3, Pilot Super Sport, M3 control arms + tension links (fr) S. California
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

as a person who got the extended maintanence for free id say its not worth it. probably 2 x oil changes, 2x wipers, 1 microfilter, maybe one set of brakes (front or rear) and they dont even replace the rotors if they are within spec. all of that you can do yourself for less than 2k.

oh ya and for clutch it should be covered except for the flywheel, but good luck having it fail within the two yr window. if you beat on it, they will take it apart and see that it was abused and not cover. if you drive normally then it should last more than 100k.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #38
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How long have you had the car for? And how much did you have to use the maintenance warrantee each year?
I had the car for 9 months. Only at 39,000 miles right now. Factory warranty just expired in Jan this year, so far I haven't used the maintenance warranty.
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #39
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

Quote:
I drive about 90 miles a week, 360 miles a month, 4,300 miles a year. What are your thoughts judging from my mileage?
Not worth it, the only reason I keep buying them is because of the mileage I drive. If there was no expiration date on extended maintenance plan, than I would say yes.. But BMW has approached this right knowing that not many people statistically speaking will reach 100k miles in 3 years..

If you drive a lot, like myself, I feel value add is in retail value when I go to sell it I can prove that all of the maintenance was done by the dealer.
2011 e92 335is 2007 X3 122k miles 2006 e90 330i 132k miles
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
swin500
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
Take it from someone that did get a maintenance warranty back in 2008....
  1. If you're 6MT, make sure your dealer covers the clutch. Some dealers wont, mine does. I'm on my 2nd right now. As my SA told me, any sign of slipping they will change your clutch to a new one which is nice.
  2. I had all 4 brakes changed
  3. I had all 4 rotors changed
  4. Peeling steering wheel trim covered, from what I was told from maintenance not CPO
  5. driver side door handle trim peeling, also covered.
  6. wiper blades changed every time I bring it in
  7. o2 sensor changed
  8. brand new spark plugs twice
  9. micro air filter changed everytime, although this is usually by request
  10. discolored side mirrors covered on both sides, from what I was told it came from maintenance not CPO for some reason

I mainly only got it for the clutch, but if you use it then yes it is definitely worth it. If you don't use it and forget about it, then no don't get it. Personally if anything is a bit off on the car I don't mind taking my car in Sat morning, getting a starbucks coffee, ride a loaner x3 (usually by request) for the weekend, and get a nice performing car on Monday morning.

Here is a list of all the items:
http://www.bmwusa.com/mpdisclaimer
Same here. I ride the brakes and clutch all day, wear gloves made out of sandpaper and constantly turn my wipers on in dry weather. And I can't change the wipers myself because of the sandpaper gloves.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #41
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Biggest coverage is brakes. I want drilled rotors which would not be OEM so that effectively kills the value of getting the warranty for me. I passed.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #42
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm going to have to think this one through.
Appreciate 0