E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Removed top layer of Dakota Oyster. Help!

02-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Attym
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

Removed top layer of Dakota Oyster. Help!

So, I'm not a complete nut about keeping my car perfect... its a car and I have kids so Ive excepted some wear and tear. So please don't judge the following situation I find myself in.

I was driving with my kid who had a bowl of cut up fruits (she wanted to take it with her...) She left the bowl in the car over night, it must have been damp on the bottom, it froze to the seat and when I pulled it up, it took off a top layer of the Dakota Oyster leather.

3 options: find a touch up paint/dye that will make it less noticeable, buy a used bench or trade it in 9#3 was my first thought).

If I could find a decent bench, the used prices don't seem so bad and would consider that but feel a little paint/dye might make it acceptable.

I'm in the US, does anyone have a source for a paint that will match dakota Oyster? This repair doesn't need to be 100% perfect, but I'd like to not see this when I look back:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attym View Post
So, I'm not a complete nut about keeping my car perfect... its a car and I have kids so Ive excepted some wear and tear. So please don't judge the following situation I find myself in.

I was driving with my kid who had a bowl of cut up fruits (she wanted to take it with her...) She left the bowl in the car over night, it must have been damp on the bottom, it froze to the seat and when I pulled it up, it took off a top layer of the Dakota Oyster leather.

3 options: find a touch up paint/dye that will make it less noticeable, buy a used bench or trade it in 9#3 was my first thought).

If I could find a decent bench, the used prices don't seem so bad and would consider that but feel a little paint/dye might make it acceptable.

I'm in the US, does anyone have a source for a paint that will match dakota Oyster? This repair doesn't need to be 100% perfect, but I'd like to not see this when I look back:
Interested in this. I have a spot on my leather I'd like to touch up as well.
      02-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Unfortunately we do not sell Leather Repair kits, but do a quick google or youtube search. You can find a kit that will have the color matched dye and all prep materials needed to help blend this damaged area in.

I am no pro here, but I believe you'll have to sand down the damaged area and then simply spray on the proper dye and call it a day. I don't think it is a huge job.

Good luck!!

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Wow, I never saw something like that. Good luck OP on your repair.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Ken07335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Convert. 6 MT

I just bought a Dakota Oyster touch up repair pen from www.thescratchdoctor.co.uk
I had a few spots that needed a touch up and this paint pen did the trick. I thought it looked slightly darker when I put it on, but it dried perfectly. Can't tell where I did it. I think these people sell the paint you want, not just the pens. Good luck-that looks awful!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
That looks rough, I would take it to a leather / upholstery place.
Have it professionally repair or find used rear bottom seat in same color (hard to find).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07335i View Post
I just bought a Dakota Oyster touch up repair pen from www.thescratchdoctor.co.uk
I had a few spots that needed a touch up and this paint pen did the trick. I thought it looked slightly darker when I put it on, but it dried perfectly. Can't tell where I did it. I think these people sell the paint you want, not just the pens. Good luck-that looks awful!
Went to the website I don't see BMW colors...
      03-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
Ken07335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Convert. 6 MT

At eBay put in search Oyster Dakota leather
Paint. Different product.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #9
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

easy to fix you would need to sand it, then add a filler and then dye.

Easy DIY fix with a kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Leathe...6eglcTgSMt0AFg
Appreciate 0