E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DR-JEKL's 335i Intro & Build Thread

09-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #67
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
any reason on the choice of Procede?
Basically I was undecided on the Cobb AP JB4 and procede.

Really at the end of the day they all achieve a great result, but the procede seemed to me as a better overall package.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #68
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32R View Post
How is that foam lance GB going?
Just waiting for a price through a ozzy supplier, but yeah I'm pretty much ready to go ahead I have 8 mates along with you (& one of your mates also on EST?)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #69
Rob32R
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 530i/VW R32/E70 X5

Awesome! Just let me know when you need the cash
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #70
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Just waiting for a price through a ozzy supplier, but yeah I'm pretty much ready to go ahead I have 8 mates along with you (& one of your mates also on EST?)
est is the bomb!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #71
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Quote:
any reason on the choice of Procede?
Basically I was undecided on the Cobb AP JB4 and procede.

Really at the end of the day they all achieve a great result, but the procede seemed to me as a better overall package.
Thanks mate, I'm still struggling to find definitive advantages for the procede over the jb4.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #72
Klaatu
Clean 335i
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Quote:
Well I have 'partially' sorted out my battery issue...

The guys @ Newcastle Auto Electrics have only just started stocking Bosch batteries, they were accidentally supplied the S3 (lower CCA and suited for early 90's cars with minimal electrics) by Bosch and since I was literally their first bosch customer they were unfamiliar with the product range.

They called Bosch and then had the S5 sent out and the guys swapped it over today for me when it arrived.

Bosch battery guide: http://www.bosch.com.au/content/lang...roch_Final.pdf

So it was $190 fitted with 3 years warranty, pretty good value imo!

So now I just have to get the new battery coded, hopefully by my friendly bmw dealer under the premium complimentary servicing package
Hey DR J
I have the same battery warning when the engine is switched off and the TV is running.... How ids the Bosch S5 going....Could I ask which catalogue number/model of the S5 you fitted. There are about 25 different types..

cheers,
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #73
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
Hey DR J
I have the same battery warning when the engine is switched off and the TV is running.... How ids the Bosch S5 going....Could I ask which catalogue number/model of the S5 you fitted. There are about 25 different types..

cheers,
I believe its the 574.035 according to the bosch cat listing:

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/lang..._Web_Ready.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #74
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Thanks mate, I'm still struggling to find definitive advantages for the procede over the jb4.
shiv's attitude
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #75
ReyT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
what = single turbo
who = someone in sydney
PM/email to give me more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
shiv's attitude
What is wrong with Shiv's attitude, he is the most humble non cocky person I have ever read on a forum!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #76
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

its an advantage............to everyone else LMFAO
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #77
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Well my plates arrived last week (I think they are a bit wanky but it’s the same price for abc 123) so I decided to spend my weekend wacking the plates on (the original holes from the vict plates matched the nsw plate so it took all of 2 mins with the 18v Makita!) detailing the wheel wells, spraying the brake calipers and rotors & washing/scrubbing the brake dust that accumulates on the inside of the rims also.

Having rusty brakes and filthy wheel liners is a pet hate of mine, I have been itching to respray them basically since I picked the car up! Since the oem rims have a spoke design that is quite ‘open’ the braking & suspension components are left exposed were some other wheel designs have a chunkier profile which hides the braking components.

To be honest this is one area in terms of aesthetics that I’m disappointed with the bmw design, I have always loved the solid design of the body of the E92 (I always thought the body had a billet look to it - in terms of it looked like it had been machined from a billet) the brakes whilst work extremely well appearance wise they are bloody terrible! I did contemplate upgrading to bmw performance items, but after reading a few reviews for the outlay they didn’t offer much of an improvement. I’m also not the type to plaster my ride in m decals, & since my oem pads and rotors still had plenty of meat on them I just decided to stick with the oem theme and respray them silver.

Generally I respray my brake etc on other cars I have owned with vht high temp, but decided to go with the dupli color brake caliper paint (can be purchased @ SCA). The nozzle on the can drove me insane at first as it was difficult to spray an area in the exact location (due to the tight confines of a wheel you cant get a long sweeping motion in place) and I also found the paint to be extremely thin, and as a result you had to press the nozzle intermittently and be careful not to hold the nozzle down too long to avoid paint runs (the old warm water in a bucket trick to thin the paint is definitely not needed for this product!)

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliperPaint/

Upon jacking the car up, the first wheel I went to remove after removing the bolts it was literally stuck on. Since this is my first euro car I had remembered the beemers have a bolt on the rotors securing them on (the jap cars I have had the rotors have just slid off) I started to look for another bolt securing the wheel on the hub. I couldn’t find anything so I proceeded to belt it with a rubber mallet. After a while it eventually came off and it seems the wheel had frozen to the hub due to crevice corrosion.

To prevent this from re-occuring I decided to remove the corrosion by using a wire brush and 320 grit abrasive paper dousing the hubs in degreaser to remove the grime & then applying hi temp water proof grease and wd 40 to minimise the amount of corrosion making the wheel much easier to remove next time around (I also sprayed degreaser/wd40 inside the threaded holes in the hub to ensure the wheel bolts don’t freeze up).

The muck from inside the wheel liner, shocks, springs etc was doused in degreaser left to soak & hosed off and then a strong solution of hot dishwashing liquid & water was used to scrub the remaining grime. Once cleaned the plastic liners were then treated with wolf chemicals tire & trim dressing.

The BMS spacer was then applied to the wheel hub with the id coated in a thin layer of grease, the wheel well was then masked off along with the spacer. I have never done any ‘spray painting’ as such but from what I have picked up over the years you want a surface that is clean, dry, smooth & free of contaminants and an atmosphere that is warm with low humidity. I generally use a lamp to ‘preheat’ the work area & also helps ‘bake’ the paint once it has been applied and also aids in visibility also.

Whilst I was waiting for the paint to dry (10 minutes between re-coats by memory) I gave the wheels a wash with car shampoo and a scrubbing brush. It seems bmw have applied some form of wheel wax to these rims as it took little effort to remove the baked on brake dust from the rims.

For what appears to be a simple task it took me approx 10-12 hrs to get all 4 wheels done, but I’m much happier with the tider wheel arches and brake components. The duplicolor paint which was initially difficult to work with but by the fourth corner of the car I had pretty much became accustomed to using its unique and overly sensitive nozzle. The paint really is a great colour offering plenty of gloss and hopefully a durable long lasting finish also!

Pics of the car with 10mm & 15mm spacers fitted:

(The pics are shit 3mp nokia phone pics my canon DSLR battery was dead!)

On another note I recently purchased a cheap arcan tools low profile 1500kg jack from ebay for $200 (turns out they are a Costco item and can be had for as little as $160 if you’re a Costco member) and it is a great jack for the price. I had stuffed around for years with my cheap $50 jack that I had purchased when I was 1st year fitter/machinist apprentice, it makes the car so much easier to jack up with its low height, light weight which makes it easy to manoeuvre and jacking up the car takes little to no effort at all.

I have also purchased some AR design catless downpipes and a set of LUX V3 H8 globes which I can’t wait to install!

The AR pipes in conjunction with the procede ecu BMS DCI will hopefully yield some decent power gains (somewhere in the vicinity of 250-260 kw atw)

The next DIY task in store is a full paint correction, whilst I have received lots of compliments on how glossy and immaculate the paint is, the truth is space grey is excellent for masking defects! Upon certain lighting when you scrutinise the car plenty of swirls & heavy scuff defects can be detected, but the paint is still glossy and water beads quite well which is a testament to whatever sealant was used on the car originally my guess is that the car hasn’t had a full detail from when it was purchased from BMW Rushcutters 2 ½ years ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #78
c3090035
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

hey mate where are you gonna go to get your downpipes installed?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #79
Rob32R
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 530i/VW R32/E70 X5

Pete @ Advan Performance

Am I correct Shane?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #80
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3090035 View Post
hey mate where are you gonna go to get your downpipes installed?
Most likely I will get Pete @ Advan to do them. I have a mate who has access to a hoist @ Lexus, so I may attempt to tackle them along with his help but I will see what happens.

Are you planning on installing some also?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #81
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32R View Post
Pete @ Advan Performance

Am I correct Shane?
10 pts to you mate! :P

TBH I havent even met him yet, but he seems like a top bloke and since I have been in the JDM tuning scene since the early 90's I remember his cars/reputation from back then.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #82
c3090035
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Most likely I will get Pete @ Advan to do them. I have a mate who has access to a hoist @ Lexus, so I may attempt to tackle them along with his help but I will see what happens.

Are you planning on installing some also?
Yeah im in the car industry myself, access to hoists is no issue, i actually know the general manager at the broadmeadow lexus lol but most mechanics around here are hopeless.... i wanna install some too, is advan in sydney? do u know his prices?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #83
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3090035 View Post
Yeah im in the car industry myself, access to hoists is no issue, i actually know the general manager at the broadmeadow lexus lol but most mechanics around here are hopeless.... i wanna install some too, is advan in sydney? do u know his prices?
Ahh there you go! Yes agreed I dont know many good spanner wrenches in newcastle for performance orientated work!

Yes they are out west in Auburn by memory?

I'm catching up with Gerry this Sunday (he own a white E92 M3) it would be good to check out your ride also if you're free?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742673
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #84
ABC99G
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

Oops, nearly forgot this. Should be O.K. though. Partners as well?
By the I have an orbital polisher you can borrow if you don't have one.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #85
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC99G View Post
Oops, nearly forgot this. Should be O.K. though. Partners as well?
By the I have an orbital polisher you can borrow if you don't have one.
Yeah for sure!

What type of orbital do you have? I have a hitachi rotary with Lake Country CCS 6.5" pads
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #86
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP

Hey DrJ

Car is looking great , the amount of work you have done in a short period of time makes me feel lazy

You'll love the dp's they make the car sound great , I recommend doing the golf tee mod when also ( found a thread on this site somewhere) it basically keeps both pipes open and makes the exhaust sound more throaty.

I've been thinking of doing my calipers just needed some inspiration , thanks for providing it

Off to sca to buy a jack
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #87
ABC99G
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Yeah for sure!

What type of orbital do you have? I have a hitachi rotary with Lake Country CCS 6.5" pads
It's a DAS-6. Looks like you have this covered. I believe an orbital is not as effective as a rotary polisher but less likely to do damage if you don't know what you are doing.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #88
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootah View Post
Hey DrJ

Car is looking great , the amount of work you have done in a short period of time makes me feel lazy

You'll love the dp's they make the car sound great , I recommend doing the golf tee mod when also ( found a thread on this site somewhere) it basically keeps both pipes open and makes the exhaust sound more throaty.

I've been thinking of doing my calipers just needed some inspiration , thanks for providing it

Off to sca to buy a jack
Im itching to have the DP's etc installed! Do you recommend a charge pipe and bov also?

I have read that pulling the plug out is a more effective and easier but it logs an error code? I had wondered why only the RH side pipe upon starting seemed to be the only side 'open' and emitting exhaust gases...

Well it seems most 335's I had viewed are affected by dull looking calipers etc, it really tidies the car up when you have the paint trims etc looking good also
Appreciate 0