E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Harmful metals found in Protein supplements

06-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Exclamation Harmful metals found in Protein supplements

full article;
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...view/index.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

who drinks that stuff anyway?

no wonder people who take that stuff have kidney failure.............
      06-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Only thing I've taken is Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey...Good thing it's not on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
who drinks that stuff anyway?

no wonder people who take that stuff have kidney failure.............
Jumping to conclusions + baseless claim.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
The thing that's not mentioned is that almost all (if not all) of those metals found are in food we eat every single day. And who knows what else? People think everything screened and approved by the FDA is safe.

As long as you're not consuming a ton of these things a day I wouldn't worry too much.

ON isn't on the list. But to me it has a strong chemical taste to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Most whey products are pure trash. Kudos to CR for getting the word out!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Most whey products are pure trash. Kudos to CR for getting the word out!
What would you consider to be 'good' brands for Whey and Casein?

P.S. I really need to go and get some of that raw milk again...oh how I crave it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
What would you consider to be 'good' brands for Whey and Casein?

P.S. I really need to go and get some of that raw milk again...oh how I crave it.
Raw milk is sooo good. I agree.

I prefer whole foods honestly as they contain all the necessary elements for full assimilation assuming that digestion functions properly. Shakes are beneficial post workout and no other time in my eyes.

There are a few powders that are solid though because they come from free range, healthy, grass fed cows and are capable of being assimilated into the body as the products aren't denatured during processing -- Imuplus, Ecletar de Sante, Mercola's wheys, Whey Natural (Ultralife Inc), Whey Stronger (Poliquin). Could also consider Goatein. Stay away from soy proteins (usually GMO and non-bioavailable among other things).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Corsa999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

According to that chart, only 5 readings (in bold) out of the matrix of 60 measured items were "over the limit" proposed by the US Pharmacopeia.

So basically most of these suppliments are fine to take.

"Here are the average amounts of metals we found in three servings of these protein drinks. The maximum limits for them in dietary supplements proposed by the U.S. Pharmacopeia are: arsenic (inorganic), 15 micrograms (µg) per day; cadmium, 5 µg; lead, 10 µg; mercury, 15 µg. Amounts at or exceeding those limits are in bold."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsa999 View Post
According to that chart, only 5 readings (in bold) out of the matrix of 60 measured items were "over the limit" proposed by the US Pharmacopeia.

So basically most of these suppliments are fine to take.

"Here are the average amounts of metals we found in three servings of these protein drinks. The maximum limits for them in dietary supplements proposed by the U.S. Pharmacopeia are: arsenic (inorganic), 15 micrograms (µg) per day; cadmium, 5 µg; lead, 10 µg; mercury, 15 µg. Amounts at or exceeding those limits are in bold."
Exposure to arsenic, lead, cadmium, and mercury is disease causing. Levels should be at or close to zero in these products. Why is it in there?!

Remember this is just three servings we're talking about. The article cautions multiple servings of these drinks on a consistent basis. Multiple exposures daily can result in bioaccumulation in the body over time. That's a real problem. Overloading your detox system isn't a good way to maintain or build muscle.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

o shoot, i better stop taking that stuff. I have been taking the GNC stuff and hasn't really done anything for me.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
o shoot, i better stop taking that stuff. I have been taking the GNC stuff and hasn't really done anything for me.
GNC sucks all around.

You're going to need to eat more if you stop taking whey protein...just sayin', but this is probably obvious to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

True Protein ftw
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Exposure to arsenic, lead, cadmium, and mercury is disease causing. Levels should be at or close to zero in these products. Why is it in there?!

Remember this is just three servings we're talking about. The article cautions multiple servings of these drinks on a consistent basis. Multiple exposures daily can result in bioaccumulation in the body over time. That's a real problem. Overloading your detox system isn't a good way to maintain or build muscle.
There in lies one issue with the study. All of these proteins suggest, at most, 2 servings. Most us only take 1.

I do agree they shouldn't be in there, AT ALL! But I'm curious about the amounts in everyday foods. I think we would all be extremely surprised at the levels in things we think are perfectly safe. I also would rather see some other company do the study as opposed to CR. They haven't exactly been taken extremely serious in sometime.

I'm going to keep taking what I take, which is continually switch up my protein powders. If it's not one thing that harms us it's something else.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

+1 It is somewhat misleading as it's based on 3 servings. I only drink one shake a day if that.
      06-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
There in lies one issue with the study. All of these proteins suggest, at most, 2 servings. Most us only take 1.

I do agree they shouldn't be in there, AT ALL! But I'm curious about the amounts in everyday foods. I think we would all be extremely surprised at the levels in things we think are perfectly safe. I also would rather see some other company do the study as opposed to CR. They haven't exactly been taken extremely serious in sometime.

I'm going to keep taking what I take, which is continually switch up my protein powders. If it's not one thing that harms us it's something else.
Many trainees, particularly males, use multiple scoops of powder in their shakes which in some cases occurs more than once daily. Even if you're taking one scoop 3-5 times a week, you are still being exposed to heavy metals almost daily and then consider adding on the other environmental exposures that all of us face in modern living.

Restaurant foods, processed foods, and non-organic foods are going to increase exposure to multiple chemicals. Don't forget household cleaners, plastics, and hygiene products. I sound paranoid, but unfortunately it's reality and we are sicker than ever as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
+1 It is somewhat misleading as it's based on 3 servings. I only drink one shake a day if that.
So you just get a third of the levels of toxic, heavy metals listed in the chart. Yippee!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I have taken more supplements than most and I can honestly say...... eat eggs!

Proteins are good, but they will def make you bloaty. If you are going to take protein I suggest ON (optimum nutrition) as they carry far less sugars and have a substantial amount of protein per serving over most on the market.

Rule of thumb - the better the protein tastes the worse of a product it typically is. Kinda like lifting in general - if it isnt burning, it isnt growing! That is where "no pain no gain" came from.

If you guys really want good knowledge I suggest - www.annabolicminds.com this is a very helpful forum that will definitely get you on the right track.
      06-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Many trainees, particularly males, use multiple scoops of powder in their shakes which in some cases occurs more than once daily. Even if you're taking one scoop 3-5 times a week, you are still being exposed to heavy metals almost daily and then consider adding on the other environmental exposures that all of us face in modern living.

Restaurant foods, processed foods, and non-organic foods are going to increase exposure to multiple chemicals. Don't forget household cleaners, plastics, and hygiene products. I sound paranoid, but unfortunately it's reality and we are sicker than ever as a result.

So you just get a third of the levels of toxic, heavy metals listed in the chart. Yippee!
You guys have to understand that a lot of what you are eating contains heavy metals in them, that is why if you are going to supplement or eat a lot of fish that is from the oceans you should do a heavy metal cleanse http://www.renewlife.com/heavy-metal-cleanse.html Now I dont know if this works but it is highly recommended if you expose yourself to heavy metals on a regular basis.
      06-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #18
Socale92
DCT Test Pilot
Rep
Drives: ????

http://www.cytosport.com/news/press
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 05:28 AM   #19
NL-J
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/news.php?article=874
      06-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #20
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Seeing that consumer reports chart, what protein supplements would you guys recommend? Thank god I don't drink that muscle milk crap. Has me hesitant now when you see deals in a health store for protein powder that's half off. Maybe it has a lot of lead lol.

Any somewhat safe recommendations?
      06-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Seeing that consumer reports chart, what protein supplements would you guys recommend? Thank god I don't drink that muscle milk crap. Has me hesitant now when you see deals in a health store for protein powder that's half off. Maybe it has a lot of lead lol.

Any somewhat safe recommendations?
Nitro peak. Best on the market

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #22
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

I drink muscle milk and beause of it i was able to gain 20 pounds of muscle mass......