E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Slight squeal in front passenger wheel

03-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
danny330i06
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Slight squeal in front passenger wheel

This has been driving me crazy for about a year now. When I release the breaks and start going, below 15 mph, there is a squeal coming from the passenger front wheel area! I have had the breaks checked for wear and other foreign objects that may be stuck in there by numinous mechanics. They all say they cannot find anything wrong. It sounds like the pads are not releasing all the way and catching on the rotor. Has anyone had this problem before? My next option is a complete replacement of the breaks and rotors. Pretty pricey if I don't have to do it! Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Pads have about 50% life left on them.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

I got one on the rear passenger side and it disapeared after a few months.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
If the pads were not releasing you would definitely had a noticable wear pattern on your rotor.

It could be other things, a bearing for example. Give us more details... does it squeal when coming to a stop, when cruising at 5mph, 10mph, 15mph, etc (when can you hear it, when does it go away) is it there when you accelerate, if your cruising and its not there gently press on the brakes from 0% pressure to about 30%, at any point do you hear the squeal. If its gone, then you hard break to a stop, then slowly accelerate is it there/not there/worse/better? Do a range of testing, different conditions (humid, dry, snowy, wet, cold, hot if possible) hard driving, soft granny driving, different road surfaces. What are the differences, if any. Also - what is the pitch like, does pitch change as you change speed, corner, etc or does it stay the same?

If it is constantly there, accelerating, braking, cornering, different weather and road conditions it is likely a bearing. I doubt it is your pads making contact since they would have worn away the odd contact patch causing the sequel over the course of a year, but then again it's hard to diagnose over the internet.

You could always try replacing just the front pads for a week or so then swapping back. It's not like it's a huge waste of money since you will eventually need to replace your pads/rotors anyway

Also, why is this posted in drive train & exhaust?

Appreciate 0