E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > So what is so important about breaking in the engine

01-24-2006, 04:39 AM   #23
rss
Private
Rep
Drives: 320dSE Touring E91

With all my previous cars I have always followed the break-in procedures outlined in the manuals. But for my new E91, I've decided to just drive the car normally.

I don't drive fast anyhow so I'm probably within the parameters!

I think the most important thing is to be sensible and the best thing you can do for your engine is allow it to warm up properly before being enthusiastic with your right foot !

With my M3 I always waited until optimum oil temperature before going above 3K revs and at 80K miles she still sings like she was new.

I see many people jump into a cold car and roar off down the road. You can almost hear the damage being done. Ok maybe not, but you know what I mean!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #24
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosBMW
I am no trying to be an a** here but what is so important about breaking the engine in... I have heard so many things, but can any of you give me a definitive answer on the topic....

Thanks so much guys....i really appriciate all your help and advise....
Here's a lay explanation. Think of your car's moving parts as a bunch of discretely separate solid items (mostly metal), that are manufactured, put together and expected to work in close proximity to each other. Pistons are moving up and down chambers, camshafts and drivetrain parts are spinning, and oil is there to lubricate and cool these parts to minimize friction and prevent them from grinding on each other. These parts don't know each other well, and if tolerances are off just slightly, some tiny metal fragments end up in the oil. As your car breaks in, valves get seated better so they can do what they were designed to do in the first place. Nobody wants leaky valves.

By following break-in guidelines, you're letting these moving parts "get used" to each other before exposing them to maximum stressors.