E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Any pictures of cars with AST coilovers?

01-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
redfred18t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Any pictures of cars with AST coilovers?

Hi everyone

I'm looking at getting new coilovers and I was wondering if anyone had any shots of their cars running on AST coilovers (preferably e90). I tried searching but came across maybe 2 or 3 decent pictures. Also, does anyone know what the actual range of adjustment is? I tried searching on AST's site but found nothing.

Background: I'm trying to decide between KW v2/v3's, Billstein PSS10's, and AST 4100's with Swift springs. I'm looking to get something that is durable but also can handle the brutal new england roads and the mileage I put on my car (roughly 20k per year). I had a set of KW v2's on my jetta and was overall happy with them, until i tried adjusting them after a few winters. I have PSS9's on my e90 now, but they are pretty shot. I'm not the original owner of them, so who knows if the previous owner abused them. Also it's kind of annoying how at max height, they are still kinda low. I dont have any experience with AST 4100's, but the forum seems to love them. It's hard to find any criticism about them, which is making me lean towards them. But I also want to make sure they will hold up to beating they will go through.

I dont want to go super low with my coilovers, but I'd like to get a nice setting for spring-fall that has a nice dropped look. Since the car is my daily, it still needs to be streetable (and I have my miata for my slammed fixation).

thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

From what I recall reading, the swift springs can be set even higher than stock if needed. Quite the opposite of bilsteins. .
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

I'm sure the drop range is like other coils. So dont worry. I just ordered the new 4150 model. No more 4100. U can't go wrong with AST. Email Harold@HPautowerks he'll answer all your questions on AST
      01-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Since the AST/swift setups are modular, you can get different length springs with them. This means that you can just get a longer spring if you don't want the car to be very low.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Ride height does not change ride harshness. Unless you are worried about bottoming out then that is a different story. Since you're already an(i) I would say that you probably could get most of the aftermarket coils to pretty much stock height, give or take an inch. Either way, that should not be a large concern unless the roads are horrible.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
redfred18t
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Ride height does not change ride harshness. Unless you are worried about bottoming out then that is a different story. Since you're already an(i) I would say that you probably could get most of the aftermarket coils to pretty much stock height, give or take an inch. Either way, that should not be a large concern unless the roads are horrible.
On my other two cars with coilovers, the lower I've gone, the harsher the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
I'm sure the drop range is like other coils. So dont worry. I just ordered the new 4150 model. No more 4100. U can't go wrong with AST. Email Harold@HPautowerks he'll answer all your questions on AST
I wasn't aware that it switched to the 4150. I've been emailing him back and forth this weekend

So no one has pics of their cars on these coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Not too many people around here with AST .... $$

Most people I see with coilovers are KW.

I have AST 4200s sitting in my basement ... waiting on a free week for install. :-\

I don't see how the car would look any different on these coilovers vs. others though (?) Are you concerned about how low/high you can go?
      01-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
redfred18t
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Not too many people around here with AST .... $$

Most people I see with coilovers are KW.

I have AST 4200s sitting in my basement ... waiting on a free week for install. :-\

I don't see how the car would look any different on these coilovers vs. others though (?) Are you concerned about how low/high you can go?
I suppose I'm curious to see how low they can go, not that I'd want to be super slammed. KW is the popular option but it kinda scares me with how many people have issues with them. For a couple hundred more, the AST's seem like a great deal for the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred18t View Post
I suppose I'm curious to see how low they can go, not that I'd want to be super slammed. KW is the popular option but it kinda scares me with how many people have issues with them. For a couple hundred more, the AST's seem like a great deal for the money.
ASTs are valved by default for quite high spring rates. AST users use them at the track. This may not be what you are after. KWs are valved exactly for the springs included, which have moderate spring rates and are more streetable. If it's lowering you are after, KW would be a better choice, I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred18t View Post
Hi everyone

I'm looking at getting new coilovers and I was wondering if anyone had any shots of their cars running on AST coilovers (preferably e90). I tried searching but came across maybe 2 or 3 decent pictures. Also, does anyone know what the actual range of adjustment is? I tried searching on AST's site but found nothing.

Background: I'm trying to decide between KW v2/v3's, Billstein PSS10's, and AST 4100's with Swift springs. I'm looking to get something that is durable but also can handle the brutal new england roads and the mileage I put on my car (roughly 20k per year). I had a set of KW v2's on my jetta and was overall happy with them, until i tried adjusting them after a few winters. I have PSS9's on my e90 now, but they are pretty shot. I'm not the original owner of them, so who knows if the previous owner abused them. Also it's kind of annoying how at max height, they are still kinda low. I dont have any experience with AST 4100's, but the forum seems to love them. It's hard to find any criticism about them, which is making me lean towards them. But I also want to make sure they will hold up to beating they will go through.

I dont want to go super low with my coilovers, but I'd like to get a nice setting for spring-fall that has a nice dropped look. Since the car is my daily, it still needs to be streetable (and I have my miata for my slammed fixation).

thanks guys!
AST 4100 is a step above the KW and Bilstein you mentioned. Not only it is a mono tube design valved to be used with a wide range of spring rates, it is also a true coil over system to be sued with constant ID coil over type springs. Performance is better and ride can be just as good as stock if not better through carefully selection of spring rates.

Harold
Appreciate 0