E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > does the 335Xi have the option to be RWD like an STI?

07-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #463
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

any updates?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #464
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom11 View Post
any updates?
Yup, the E90 platform has been retired
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #465
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

maybe now with the open flash something can be possible? lets ask terry
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #466
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Yup, the E90 platform has been retired
so because they now have the f30 nobody makes new parts for the e90 that's what your saying? that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #467
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom11 View Post
so because they now have the f30 nobody makes new parts for the e90 that's what your saying? that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.
No, the dumbest thing I ever heard was people consistently resurrecting a 3-year-old thread where there is SO little interest in the product being requested in the first place that now that the E90 platform has been retired, there's even less of a chance of getting something developed (not that there was much chance in the past).

People who wanted RWD bought RWD. Stop whining and move on. Neither Terry nor OpenFlash will make a hack for people to make the xi a RWD car, because quite simply, the ten or so people who actually care will probably have moved on to three newer model cars since then.

To put it concisely: in the three years of this thread, have YOU seen anything other than "pull a fuse and drive around like a retard with your wipers blasting"? No. Did the people who actually did this go on to drive like this on a daily basis? No. Do you think, if Terry, Shiv, the GIAC guys or anyone else really cared, there might have been at least one post by them? Yes, and so, no--they don't care. Do you think now that the E90 is dead they will go out and spend a bunch of money developing a whole new tune for the decreasing number of people who still own one? No.

Not sure if you see a pattern there.
      08-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #468
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Agreed! I've been monitoring this thread for almost its entire little life. You could probably pick up a nice used RWD 335i for drifting, etc. for $15K or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #469
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
No, the dumbest thing I ever heard was people consistently resurrecting a 3-year-old thread where there is SO little interest in the product being requested in the first place that now that the E90 platform has been retired, there's even less of a chance of getting something developed (not that there was much chance in the past).

People who wanted RWD bought RWD. Stop whining and move on. Neither Terry nor OpenFlash will make a hack for people to make the xi a RWD car, because quite simply, the ten or so people who actually care will probably have moved on to three newer model cars since then.

To put it concisely: in the three years of this thread, have YOU seen anything other than "pull a fuse and drive around like a retard with your wipers blasting"? No. Did the people who actually did this go on to drive like this on a daily basis? No. Do you think, if Terry, Shiv, the GIAC guys or anyone else really cared, there might have been at least one post by them? Yes, and so, no--they don't care. Do you think now that the E90 is dead they will go out and spend a bunch of money developing a whole new tune for the decreasing number of people who still own one? No.

Yeah I agree with most of this, except that it turns out the electronics and computers running the AWD is so f*cking complicated and interwoven with everything else that what sounds easy (a little box to turn off transfer case) is insanely hard. I think a product that did it would sell well, just turns out you have to deal with all the intertwining layers of traction control, abs, DTC/DSC, DBC, e-diff etc etc and it is a giant mess. A lot of smart people with skills have looked at this and apparently given up.

Furthermore, like the the automatic transmission, the software controlling the AWD DSC etc systems may be (probably is) encrypted. You know NO ONE has hacked the TCU yet in AT cars? The only mod out there is Alpina B3 flash. There would be a huge market for TCU reflash like a CObb unit for the TCU. Where is it? It is not because people are lazy or no business case for it, it is because it is too hard.

Hell a reflash of the AWD system may be the right way to go but like I said, if the AT is hard the AWD/DSC/ABS/DBC rat's nest of layered system code is going to be 10 times harder.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #470
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Agree - all fair points, but the ECU was hard to reflash too, but the market was strong enough that Cobb did it. But it applied to all 335s sold. Here, we're dealing with time primarily (since they're slowly being traded to third owners), and market penetration (how many xi's sold north of like ... DC? I find cars in the US don't even have heated seats, much less AWD, hehe). But on top of that, drivers have to actually want that and want to pay - if I still had mine, I'd consider it a gimmick and want to give Cobb, say, 100 bucks for the novelty factor - but I wouldn't track with it, for instance, as I enjoy what AWD does for me for tracking.

Complicated issue, for sure, but one I'm afraid we'll see no resolution to.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #471
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Yeah you are probably right about it not materializing. Certainly not at a reasonable price point. People will pay $700 retail for a Cobb but that unlocks 100+ WHP/WTQ. No way they pay that to turn off AWD that they already paid extra for.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #472
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:

Well I'm still interested and I don't think other people would be consistently resurrecting it if there was no interest. What's it to you anyways?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #473
tepahe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
Well I'm still interested and I don't think other people would be consistently resurrecting it if there was no interest. What's it to you anyways?
I agree.

I think the interest will be more accurately measured by looking at how many that has been reading this thread and not how many that has been posting.

I have been reading this thread for years with my fingers crossed hoping...
This is my first post.

Cheers
Patrick
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #474
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

I'll get in this tomorrow. It should be as simple as looking at a wiring diagram for the wipers and finding the corresponding wires. You'll need a switch that can open two separate circuits simultaneously wired in series with that fuse and wiper motor power. Getting rid of the errors is a different story...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #475
Boosted-M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535D XDrive (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks
I'll get in this tomorrow. It should be as simple as looking at a wiring diagram for the wipers and finding the corresponding wires. You'll need a switch that can open two separate circuits simultaneously wired in series with that fuse and wiper motor power. Getting rid of the errors is a different story...
That is how I was going to do it with Cobb flash only.. It will work fine..

Now if you have a JB4 that is not going to work.. As soon as the jb4 sees all the fault codes it cuts all boost and puts car in limp mode
      08-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #476
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks
That is how I was going to do it with Cobb flash only.. It will work fine..

Now if you have a JB4 that is not going to work.. As soon as the jb4 sees all the fault codes it cuts all boost and puts car in limp mode
That is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #477
mastermayhm
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

any way that i can mute this thread so that it doesnt keep popping up at the top of the section haha?
      08-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #478
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermayhm
any way that i can mute this thread so that it doesnt keep popping up at the top of the section haha?
Not posting in it helps lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #479
Adarnall
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I just bought my 2007 328xi 2 months ago and I would definitly be interested in a product that could act as a switch for me. I got excited by the idea...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #480
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
I'd be willing to contribute some funds, JB4 option would be nice though!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #481
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

We just need a pro to look into it. Honestly if you think about it, what haven't people done to their cars? I'm no mechanic nor an engineer but I think that if someone actually looks into it, they can get it done.

Just my .2

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #482
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

+1 for interest in a solution.

For the posters who claimed there's little interest, there's 22 pages to this thread. Just because a platform is old doesn't mean there's no love. People still race old MGs, all years of 3 series, 90s Hondas, etc, etc. Don't hate.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #483
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRcrr View Post
+1 for interest in a solution.

For the posters who claimed there's little interest, there's 22 pages to this thread. Just because a platform is old doesn't mean there's no love. People still race old MGs, all years of 3 series, 90s Hondas, etc, etc. Don't hate.
22 pages of people saying "want!", but not a single post of anyone offering any solution. be fair.
      08-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #484
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

I was being fair. All kinds of people own BMWs, and can want all kinds of upgrades for them. Not everyone is an automotive engineer with BMW specific experience to just make up a solution on the spot. And its not a negative to put up a post despite a low chance of it being successful. I'm an engineer myself, but don't have anywhere near the expertise to work through the ECU on my e90, so I would definitely pay for some sort of upgrade that would let me have some RWD fun on occasion.
Appreciate 0