E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > aftermarket inner tie rods with more threads?????

09-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328i manual

aftermarket inner tie rods with more threads?????

Hi, I have an e90 lci(2010) 328i and I put an m3 steering rack in it. The steering wheel is facing the left. I was under the impression I could get the car aligned straight, then take the steering wheel off and just put it back on straight. For some reason the people that work on Firestone think that the wheel being off is causing the problems, and if I take the rack off and put it back on with the steering wheel straight it should align. Which doesn't make any sense to me because what would be changing to allow it to be straight even if the steering wheel is straight?

As I had to hacksaw the ends of the tie rods to even get the car aligned as good as it is, are there aftermarket tie rods with more threads going all the way down the rod(or close)

Do I have to machine my own threads on an oem rod??

What's the solution to make my car drive straight? I've been putting a *crap ton of miles on it and am *crapping up my tires

Last edited by e90dum; 09-22-2017 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: *i'm frustrated but i'm not vulgar
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

hey, it looks like e36 inner tie rods are shorter, would those work?
      09-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

First off: you're taking it to Firestone.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Omg! Seriously? Remove the steering wheel and put it back on straight? Huh? Yes, that will fix it for sure! You obviously don't know how any of this works. You need to go to someone who is BMW inclined. Could be Firestone. They just need to have the right person working there. Regarding aftermarket inner tie rods, we don't know what you bought thus can't chime in on lenght. Regardless, m3 steering rack swap has been covered in details on e90post. With part numbers needed and everything...
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #5
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90dum View Post
Hi, I have an e90 lci(2010) 328i and I put an m3 steering rack in it. The steering wheel is facing the left. I was under the impression I could get the car aligned straight, then take the steering wheel off and just put it back on straight. For some reason the people that work on Firestone think that the wheel being off is causing the problems, and if I take the rack off and put it back on with the steering wheel straight it should align. Which doesn't make any sense to me because what would be changing to allow it to be straight even if the steering wheel is straight?

As I had to hacksaw the ends of the tie rods to even get the car aligned as good as it is, are there aftermarket tie rods with more threads going all the way down the rod(or close)

Do I have to machine my own threads on an oem rod?

What's the solution to make my car drive straight? I've been putting a *crap ton of miles on it and am *crapping up my tires

The solution is to install the rack the correctly lol... The tab on the m3 rack should be broken off so you can clock the rack properly before attaching it to the steering shaft.

You can't just take the steering wheel off to correct the issues. Why not? Because then you'll have a difference in the amount of steering lock from full left to full right.

You need to take the rack back down and then center it by counting the number of turns it takes to get to full left/right. Make sure the rack is at dead center before putting it into the car. Then count the number of threads exposed on your old tie rods. M3 rods are a tiny bit longer so if your old tie rods had 12 threads exposed only leave 8 exposed on the M3 arms.

You should have 0 issues aligning it and when finished it should take about 2.25 turns of the steering wheem in either direction to hit full lock.
Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50
      10-02-2017, 05:26 AM   #6
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Omg! Seriously? Remove the steering wheel and put it back on straight? Huh? Yes, that will fix it for sure! You obviously don't know how any of this works. You need to go to someone who is BMW inclined. Could be Firestone. They just need to have the right person working there. Regarding aftermarket inner tie rods, we don't know what you bought thus can't chime in on lenght. Regardless, m3 steering rack swap has been covered in details on e90post. With part numbers needed and everything...
I had it done by a BMW suspension guy because I don't know what I'm doing. obviously I will never be doing that again and will only do shit myself from now on. your post is unhelpful, snarky, and discouraging.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90dum View Post
I had it done by a BMW suspension guy because I don't know what I'm doing. obviously I will never be doing that again and will only do shit myself from now on. your post is unhelpful, snarky, and discouraging.
That is the right attitude: don't know what I'm doing, I will never be doing that again and will only shit myself from now and then come post on e90post how others are unhelpful, sharky, discouraging.
Appreciate 0