E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Smoking or Drinking?

View Poll Results: And You?
Smoke 9 6.57%
Drink 57 41.61%
Smoke and Drink 31 22.63%
NON 40 29.20%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

05-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #45
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Anyone that still smokes is an IDIOT!!! I smoked for 40 years, despite the warnings and information. I was invincible. Now I am dying from emphysema as a result - very little time left. I am on oxygen 24/7 and can barely walk from one room of my house to another without getting exhausted.

If you smoke -QUIT. If you don't smoke - DON'T START.

This actually made me sad.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #46
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
From my experience, it's mostly women I've come across that smoke weed, especially recently/through dating apps, etc.

Dunno where the phenomena is surging from. Hipster land?
Likewise. Have a feeling it has to due with this "individuality" movement that's going through everyones head.

It really turns me off when the stench of weed hits me.

What pisses me off is when people tell me they don't have the money to hang out and get dinner...but they do have the money to get booze/cigarettes/drugs.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #47
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
From my experience, it's mostly women I've come across that smoke weed, especially recently/through dating apps, etc.

Dunno where the phenomena is surging from. Hipster land?
Fuckin hipsters...

Weed, petrulli oil, and body hair.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #48
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Likewise. Have a feeling it has to due with this "individuality" movement that's going through everyones head.

It really turns me off when the stench of weed hits me.

What pisses me off is when people tell me they don't have the money to hang out and get dinner...but they do have the money to get booze/cigarettes/drugs.
Yeah. Standards are low, these days. Almost feels like most of these chicks expect the majority of dudes to smoke weed, so that makes it okay to publicize it like it's a goddamn PhD or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Fuckin hipsters...

Appreciate 3
      05-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #49
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Drinking and driving has nothing to do with drinking. There is nothing that says that because I enjoy a few beer or a nice glass of wine now and then that I will get behind the wheel of a car if I am beyond the legal limit. Nothing like a holier than thou post to make a thread hard to read.
Go home Canada, your drunk. Either that or you didn't get laid this weekend.

You should have called me out for posting that cake bit twice. It would have hurt me much more than your post above.

If i am holier than thou, it's not because i don't drink and you do.
      05-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #50
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Standards are low, these days.
"Sigh". Ain't the truth.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #51
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Fuckin hipsters...

I fucking never understood the point of petrulli oil. Like why.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #52
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
I fucking never understood the point of petrulli oil. Like why.
Dunno man. It smells like weirdo that's all I know.
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #53
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'm kind of surprised about how many people state they don't drink. To clarify when I say "drink" that doesn't necessarily mean getting drunk while drinking. It is absolutely possible to enjoy a beer, some whiskey, or whatever your drink of choice may be without being hammered. I can understand if it is for a health reason, though speaking of that, haven't there been recent studies stating one glass of beer or wine a day can actually be beneficial to your health due to the antioxidants?

There is just so much good beer out there to not enjoy it.
      05-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #54
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyone that still smokes is an IDIOT!!! I smoked for 40 years, despite the warnings and information. I was invincible. Now I am dying from emphysema as a result - very little time left. I am on oxygen 24/7 and can barely walk from one room of my house to another without getting exhausted.

If you smoke -QUIT. If you don't smoke - DON'T START.
Hey SakhirM4

I'm so sorry to hear. One of my uncles has emphysema and he's one of my favorites. He refuses to quit. Not sure what else to say, except that's a big reason why I quit cigarettes.

When did you start smoking and when did you find out?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #55
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Yeah. Standards are low, these days.
There are no standards today. We have thrown out the definitions of right vs. wrong and good vs. bad, etc., etc.. Without those definitions, there are no standards.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 3
      05-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #56
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
The decision to drink and drive is a decision made by an individual, which ironically impairs that individuals ability to make other decisions.

As an aside, I'm sure it has happened from sugar as well. Not an expert on diabetes, but I am sure that diabetics have caused accidents because they've become dizzy, or faint, or passed out at the wheel.
FTFY... mainly because you seem serious about this.

And yes, i'm sure at least a hand full of people die each year from a diabetic passing out or having a seizure while driving. Oh that's right, some people with certain diabetic conditions disallowed the privilege of a drivers's license. At least that's what i remember from the year i was paid to drive a diabetic friend around until he could get his medication sorted out. Too bad they can't disallow driver's licenses from all those individuals who decide to become alcoholics.
      05-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #57
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
When did you start smoking and when did you find out?
Started in 1970 and found out in 2009.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #58
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I'm kind of surprised about how many people state they don't drink. To clarify when I say "drink" that doesn't necessarily mean getting drunk while drinking. It is absolutely possible to enjoy a beer, some whiskey, or whatever your drink of choice may be without being hammered. I can understand if it is for a health reason, though speaking of that, haven't there been recent studies stating one glass of beer or wine a day can actually be beneficial to your health due to the antioxidants?

There is just so much good beer out there to not enjoy it.
I don't think everyone that drinks is sitting at the bar every night by themselves drowning their sorrows away. I personally don't drink because i never acquired the taste for it. After i quit drinking in 7th grade anyway.

Not 100% sure on the beer thing, but i do believe 3 to 4 oz of red wine each day is beneficially to one's heart health. I'm sorry to tell you that I'm fairly certain maybe 96.74% that beer doesn't qualify.
      05-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #59
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I'm sorry to tell you that I'm fairly certain maybe 96.74% that beer doesn't qualify.
I was about to say, did I read that right? I mean I'm no doctor, but..

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #60
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Started in 1970 and found out in 2009.
Sorry man.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #61
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Holy fuck. Are we actually sustaining 2 seconds of debate about whether alcohol impairs judgment more than mother-fucking sugar? SakhirM4 , is there still room in your curmudgeon club, cuz I want to join and go to a "world is going to hell in a hand basket" protest with you. C'MON people... We don't have to pretend every opinion has merits... some stuff is just bullshit prima facie. Facts are facts. If someone feels judged by the facts, then that person should re-evavluate their life decisions. (Put down the pipe, stop buying whores, and quit fucking your deceased pets - YES, I think ALL drinkers do all of those things... that is really the only logical conclusion from what I have said...)

*I need a drink.
      05-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #62
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Holy fuck. Are we actually sustaining 2 seconds of debate about whether alcohol impairs judgment more than mother-fucking sugar? SakhirM4 , is there still room in your curmudgeon club, cuz I want to join and go to a "world is going to hell in a hand basket" protest with you. C'MON people... We don't have to pretend every opinion has merits... some stuff is just bullshit prima facie. Facts are facts. If someone feels judged by the facts, then that person should re-evavluate their life decisions. (Put down the pipe, stop buying whores, and quit fucking your deceased pets - YES, I think ALL drinkers do all of those things... that is really the only logical conclusion from what I have said...)

*I need a drink.

Oh my...

MKSixer, he is near implosion!

Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #63
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Not gonna lie, I enjoyed that rant.

You never rant. Lol.

Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #64
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh my...

MKSixer, he is near implosion!
lulz... not really. It's just funny... dude isn't five, we don't have to pretend he has a point just to gently let him know how asinine his point of view is.
The statement that drunk driving has NOTHING to do with drinking is stupid and false. If he would have said "the vast majority of drinkers choose to do so responsibly, so I don't think it is fair to judge all drinkers by the actions of a few", then I would be all thumbs up. But trying to make a point by taking an indefensibly extreme and false position weakens your argument, not strengthens it. I do drink beer, so I have no moral outrage about drinking. I do have visceral outrage over blatant and self-imposed idiocy though.
Which one of those damn things means this thing is supposed to be taken lightheartedly? Oh yeah, one second...
      05-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #65
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Being a diabetic, I can confirm that low blood sugars impair motor skills...however when blood sugar gets low, it isn't an enjoyable feeling (as one could assume). Also, it's doesn't just hit us all of a sudden; usually one can feel it well before they start fumbling and acting loopy. And it differs from person to person. Some people get "low" when their sugar level drops below 100. Others, like myself, can go down to 60 before we get impaired.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 3
      05-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #66
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post

*I need a drink.
I wasn't suggesting that we have a serious debate about the affect of sugar versus alcohol. I was merely pointing out that the range of things that impair a driver are much broader than alcohol and weed and may be entirely unintentional.

Being on the road means that you are taking on a certain risk that is beyond your control. Other drivers under the influence are but one of those risks. Medical issues, prescription meds, inevitable accidents, sinkholes, rock slides, and maybe even an earthquake are also part of that risk.

My first professional career was as an insurance adjuster specializing in auto and significant risk files. I've seen more than enough motor vehicle carnage to last a lifetime. I have an tremendous amount of respect for the damage we can all do behind the wheel. I am a social drinker, and also quietly enjoy a glass with dinner. But, I don't drink and drive ... period. Mr Tonka seemed to want to conflate the two and I took issue with that.
Appreciate 0