E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Bad luck or are all OEM Black Line lights built crappy?

02-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
uscdigital
Rep
Drives: 07 e90

Bad luck or are all OEM Black Line lights built crappy?

Just got a new set from a BMW dealer in the mail and am pretty disappointed. One main assembly came with a tab completely broken off (which is fair and just bad luck). And one of the trunk pieces has a piece of cardboard sealed in the main light assembly. Just emailed the dealer I ebayed from and hope they do the right thing.

But are everybody's this random in build quality? Even if nothing was broken and no cardboard was inside it comes off as odd that bmw would build a light where the sticky insulation seams show through to the front unevenly etc.

First mod already delayed!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
j0ckinjz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscdigital View Post
Just got a new set from a BMW dealer in the mail and am pretty disappointed. One main assembly came with a tab completely broken off (which is fair and just bad luck). And one of the trunk pieces has a piece of cardboard sealed in the main light assembly. Just emailed the dealer I ebayed from and hope they do the right thing.

But are everybody's this random in build quality? Even if nothing was broken and no cardboard was inside it comes off as odd that bmw would build a light where the sticky insulation seams show through to the front unevenly etc.

I got depo blacklines, everything came out fine, had to use the bulb housing from the old taillights but the only thing I noticed was that my car needed a deep wash around the edges of the taillights (same problem with blacking out my kidney grills).
      02-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
uscdigital
Rep

=) im putting them on an 07 that was never pampered so yea I cant even imagine all the grime I will fine when taking the old ones off! lol.

the cardboard dust inside is pissing me off. but for 300 I should complain, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Probably just bad luck...just saying Depo's are just as good for fraction of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
=) im putting them on an 07 that was never pampered so yea I cant even imagine all the grime I will fine when taking the old ones off! lol.

the cardboard dust inside is pissing me off. but for 300 I should complain, right?
You should absolutely complain. I can't imagine they would deny an exchange for another set. If they give you grief please post who they are so everyone can avoid them.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Complain. You shouldn't have an issue. It's an OEM part.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
uscdigital
Rep

Thanks for the messages guys. I definitely let them know and will keep you all updated.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Snoozey_Monkee
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 520i, E92 325i, E90 335i

I just installed the Black Lines and noticed that the trunk portion of the lamp is not flush with the edge of the trunk? The stock ones do not have this issue. Anyone else has this issue as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:

I was not impressed with the product, but they are covered for warranty purposes.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
uscdigital
Rep

snoozey, i wont know how well mine sit flush until i install but I will definitely get back to you about it asap. i just sent the ones i got back for an exchange so I'll probably have to wait a whole week before I even get them back.

bobkur, yea its nice being able to have a bmw option and not worry about codes etc... (at least for this noob).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Snoozey_Monkee
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 520i, E92 325i, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscdigital
snoozey, i wont know how well mine sit flush until i install but I will definitely get back to you about it asap. i just sent the ones i got back for an exchange so I'll probably have to wait a whole week before I even get them back.

bobkur, yea its nice being able to have a bmw option and not worry about codes etc... (at least for this noob).
I am starting to think if this has to do with the production dates. The left side units fit fine and they were produced in July 2012 whereas the problematic right side units were produced in September 2012.

Do you know the manufacturing dates for yours?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
uscdigital
Rep

I don't know the dates for the first set that I sent back to the dealer. I just got the new set yesterday, opened them and confirmed no cardboard was stuck inside the clear housing but don't recall the dates. I will edit here when I get home later. I'm glad my new set came without the broken plastic or specs inside. I am still shocked at how crappy the plastic is cut etc... Still prefer them to stock lights, though, so I will put them on regardless.
Appreciate 0