E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Active Autowerke Short Shifter Help

01-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
youngbuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ZCP

Active Autowerke Short Shifter Help

I hope my post is in the correct forum section, my apologies if it isn't.

I recived my AA short shifter today with an unsuccesful install. Looking at the BMW SSK, it is just the shifter lever, but, AA comes with the lever and a new shifter arm. This piece looks a little more complicated to remove then I was planning. There are some clips on either side, if I remove these I possibly might damage them. AA states that a walk through manual is included, mine was for an e46 M3 (not helpful). If anyone has insight feel free to post.

Much Obliged,
YB
      01-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Must be something about your posts YoungBuck, because no donkey on this board wants to reply.
      01-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102808

DIY for the BMW SSK. Didn't know if you looked at it yet....
      01-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I didn't even know AA released a SSk. Got any pics of it?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster3.0 View Post
I didn't even know AA released a SSk. Got any pics of it?
I'll post pics of mine tonight after i get home... Just got it today w/knob..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
rooster3.0
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
I'll post pics of mine tonight after i get home... Just got it today w/knob..
Nice. Is it on their site?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

i was looking for a SSK too, please let us know what happens
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
andrewflk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

To the OP…Did anyone help you out with this yet? Disappointing they put they E46 instructions in the box. I ordered the kit this week and they told me there would be an installation manual and an AA tech support phone number.

Hopefully I’ll get mine next week and dive into it next weekend. If I learn anything I’ll let you know. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
youngbuck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewflk View Post
To the OP…Did anyone help you out with this yet? Disappointing they put they E46 instructions in the box. I ordered the kit this week and they told me there would be an installation manual and an AA tech support phone number.

Hopefully I’ll get mine next week and dive into it next weekend. If I learn anything I’ll let you know. Good luck.
Well, my kit was shiped without these two important metal clips. Not only were my instructions very vague, but, I also can't finish without my clips. AA is out of stock and will ship me some next week.. I called and tech support stated that the tranny must be lowered for easier access, I thought it would be a simple install. I am a little annoyed over the process.

Best,
YB
      01-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
Well, my kit was shiped without these two important metal clips. Not only were my instructions very vague, but, I also can't finish without my clips. AA is out of stock and will ship me some next week.. I called and tech support stated that the tranny must be lowered for easier access, I thought it would be a simple install. I am a little annoyed over the process.

Best,
YB
WTF. I hope they told you that before you ordered it.

The OEM SSK is looking better and better by the minute.
      01-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
youngbuck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
WTF. I hope they told you that before you ordered it.
Nope..

I have been speaking with Omar at AA, he is always polite on the phone but I'm just surprised they would leave crucial info out on a new release product.

-YB
      01-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #12
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Nope..

I have been speaking with Omar at AA, he is always polite on the phone but I'm just surprised they would leave crucial info out on a new release product.

-YB
I'm sure they're a great company, but that IS some quite important information. Drop the trans....screw that.

If I was you, I'd send it back and get a refund. Get the OEM SSK, it's much less hassle from what you're telling us, and about half the price to boot.
      01-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #13
youngbuck
Private First Class
Rep

I'm going to give the install a try when I recieve my missing clips. Hope I can get by without lowering the tranny, but, I'll definatley keep you all posted!
      01-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
coolcamden
Private
Rep
Drives: 325 6MT SG/BK M5 reps

Would this SSk work on a e90 325?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Ok so i installed the AA SSK last night at my buddies shop...

This SSK cannot be installed without a lift... In the package you get the shift lever, i got the knob, and it comes with this carrier assembly that holds the actual lever in place... Now i dont understand why AA didnt make the lever to fit the stock N54 carrier, instead they bought an N54 carrier and modified it to fit their existing lever... Bad business IMO...

I never liked Active Autowerkes products but i thought hey whatever its a short shift kit how bad could it be... Well it took about 3 hours to install it and i didnt have to lower the tranny, just a bitch and a half to remove that huge shift lever carrier piece... Anyway after the install i am happy to say that it is a really nice shift kit and the shifts are shortened and you can feel it right away.

I would not recommend someone buy this kit because of how hard it is to install, i would have gone with the UUC or OEM SSK if i had known about this issue, now i know why AA did not post pictures of the kit... No one would have bought it if they saw the piece im talking about... Anything from Active is just a waste of money, their FMIC is another example of an intercooler made for something else and then they make metal shrouds, cut off half of the IC and call it a ram air system... I mean C'mon, a company that well known you would think sells some nice products but they dont, its all crap... To the OP, those clips you are talking about are on the stock carrier, just pop them off and re use them...

Here are some pics of all the stock parts that came off, i couldnt take pics off AA's stuff but this gives you an idea... Oh and i didnt buy a SSK for an E36 M3
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
youngbuck
Private First Class
Rep

Yo down4it,

You think i should just send this SSK back to AA? Get the UUC or OEM SSK? are those just the lever and not the carrier?

Thanks for the ^ detailed post man .

Best,
YB
      01-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Yo down4it,

You think i should just send this SSK back to AA? Get the UUC or OEM SSK? are those just the lever and not the carrier?

Best,
YB
Why are you not responding to my voice mail?
      01-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #18
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

mhmm all aa products are crap ........
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yo down4it,

Best,
YB
The oem is just the lever... I dont know about the UUC though... Im just gonna leave the AA ssk in my car cause its in there and im never gonna waste another 3 hours to pull it out... Just stupid of me to buy a product before pics are released.. I dont know if you can return it, or if there is a restocking fee... You could try to sell it on the forum...

I just think that its stupid for a company to sell a product not made for a car and then modify a different part that shouldnt be removed to make it fit...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #20
andrewflk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

This really blows. I usually don’t ever order anything until I see a customer review but I decided to take a chance and ordered this SSK last week. I don’t have access to a lift so I’ll have to pay someone for an install.

I knew it came with a modified carrier but I thought it was done to improve the performance. Is there any chance that the carrier was modified to improve the geometry rather than just to fit an existing lever? (It actually looks like all AA shift kits come with a modified carrier)

Down4it - Thanks for the review!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
kevkaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpinweiss 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewflk View Post
This really blows. I usually don’t ever order anything until I see a customer review but I decided to take a chance and ordered this SSK last week. I don’t have access to a lift so I’ll have to pay someone for an install.
+1, I'm in the same boat, ordered it last week. Worst thing is that on the phone I told them I was doing this as a DIY and they didn't bother to warn me I needed a lift... well since I'm about to have some other stuff done, I guess I can have the shop put that in too.

So, those of you that have it, is the shifting really that much better - enough for me to keep this and pay someone to put it in (or go thru the hassle of trying it myself)? Should I send it back and go with the OEM instead? In particular, is the 1-2 shift better? There is only one thing about the 335 that irks me, and it is the 1-2 shift!

-kevkaz

2009 E92 M3 - 7/3/09 ED, 8/17/09 redelivery
1997 E36 M3 - Track Rat
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #22
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkaz View Post
+1, I'm in the same boat, ordered it last week. Worst thing is that on the phone I told them I was doing this as a DIY and they didn't bother to warn me I needed a lift... well since I'm about to have some other stuff done, I guess I can have the shop put that in too.

So, those of you that have it, is the shifting really that much better - enough for me to keep this and pay someone to put it in (or go thru the hassle of trying it myself)? Should I send it back and go with the OEM instead? In particular, is the 1-2 shift better? There is only one thing about the 335 that irks me, and it is the 1-2 shift!

-kevkaz
It is a really good SSK IMO I'm just really upset with the lack of information, cheap carrier mod crap, and the E36 M3 instruction manual...
Appreciate 0